Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hulu's content doesn't need to be on Hulu to be valuable.
No it doesn't need to be on Hulu. However it is today, and what we're talking about is in the context of the Disney/Comcast ownership of Hulu.

Without the content Hulu is practically worthless as the infrastructure is basically pennies on the dollar at that point. Hulu as it is today and as shown by Roberts comments, the value of Hulu IS in the content. Meaning Comcast wouldn't buy Hulu without the content, which isn't going to happen.

Basically Roberts comments today show that Comcast isn't looking for a new deal, isn't likely looking to license content, isn't looking to do anything other than to get the most value out of their 33% of Hulu in a sale to Disney.

"Grownup" shows can be on Disney+ without the Hulu branding and be just as valuable.
Yes we know that "grownup" content can be on D+ without Hulu branding, its already been done with some Marvel content in the US, and its been done outside the US for a long time now under the Star brand. You're not saying anything I haven't said before. So whether a Hulu tile, a 20th Century Tile, Star Tile, whatever, there will be a "grownup" content section in the US on D+ by the end of the year.

doctornick

I still don't get why everyone is so quick to think that Disney can't run the LiveTV component either as a standalone service or combined with D+.

Who said they "can't", I'm suggesting that it is possible that they might not want to. It's not exactly one of Disney's core competencies and, in fact, they are typically on the other side of the table being the jerk network owner that is asking for all their channels to be bundled and to get outrageous carriage fees. Conversely, being a distributer is literally Comcast's main business.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Who said they "can't", I'm suggesting that it is possible that they might not want to. It's not exactly one of Disney's core competencies and, in fact, they are typically on the other side of the table being the jerk network owner that is asking for all their channels to be bundled and to get outrageous carriage fees. Conversely, being a distributer is literally Comcast's main business.
There have been some around here over the last couple years who have made claims that Disney just doesn't have the experience to run LiveTV, to which I say hogwash.

And since they have been continuing to running it for almost 4 years since taking control of Hulu, I think the question of "want" is probably already answered.

The only question in my mind is whether they keep it a standalone service or integrate it eventually into D+, to which my opinion is the latter.

Slpy3270

The first four Indiana Jones movies land on Disney+ May 31, 2023.

Must be a short-term licensing deal with Paramount that runs through at least next year (they own distribution rights to the films in perpetuity). Can't say I'm shocked; Paramount is in desperate need of money considering how much of a money drain Paramount+ is right now (and their linear networks, their core bread and butter, are collapsing faster than the Soviet Union).

Slpy3270

Per Reddit, here's a list of Disney+ shows set to be removed next Friday in France (including some Hulu shows). I assume they'll be pulled internationally as well.
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
  • Big Shot
  • Willow
  • The Making Of Willow
  • The One And Only Ivan
  • Timmy Failure
  • Be Our Chef
  • Magic Camp
  • Howard
  • Pistol
  • Dollface
  • The Quest
  • Earth To Ned
  • Y: The Last Man
  • The Premise
  • Foodtastic
  • Stuntman
  • Disney Fairy Tale Weddings
  • Love In The Time Of Corona
  • Everything’s Trash
  • Best In Snow
  • Little Demon
  • Maggie
  • The World According To Jeff Goldblum
  • Best In Dough
  • Wolfgang
  • It’s a Dog’s Life With Bill Farmer
A good number of these shows are available to purchase on digital outlets, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come back in some way. Still, better watch them if you can.

At the very least, it doesn't look haphazard like WBD's content purges were, since only a few of these shows were beloved or have a huge fan base.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Per Reddit, here's a list of Disney+ shows set to be removed next Friday in France (including some Hulu shows). I assume they'll be pulled internationally as well.
  • Big Shot
  • Willow
  • The Making Of Willow
  • The One And Only Ivan
  • Timmy Failure
  • Be Our Chef
  • Magic Camp
  • Howard
  • Pistol
  • Dollface
  • The Quest
  • Earth To Ned
  • The Premise
  • Foodtastic
  • Stuntman
  • Everything’s Trash
  • Best In Snow
  • Little Demon
  • Maggie
  • Best In Dough
  • Wolfgang
A good number of these shows are available to purchase on digital outlets, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come back in some way. Still, better watch them if you can.

At the very least, it doesn't look haphazard like WBD's content purges were, since only a few of these shows were beloved or have a huge fan base.
Since one can download D+ shows, wonder how long one can hold onto a local copy of something about to be disappeared.

I *did* call "Best in Snow" tho! ;)

MarvelCharacterNerd

• Big Shot
  • Willow
  • The Making Of Willow
  • The One And Only Ivan
  • Timmy Failure
  • Be Our Chef
  • Magic Camp
  • Howard
  • Pistol
  • Dollface
  • The Quest
  • Earth To Ned
  • The Premise
  • Foodtastic
  • Stuntman
  • Everything’s Trash
  • Best In Snow
  • Little Demon
  • Maggie
  • Best In Dough
  • Wolfgang

Of that entire list, only losing "Howard" would be huge. That deserves to stay in respect for one of Disney's greatest contributors ever. (But if it was a third party project, then I can see them pulling it for $ reasons. Really shortsighted if they do though - both in terms of his importance to Disney and the optics of removing that right before Pride month.)

Slpy3270

(But if it was a third party project, then I can see them pulling it for $ reasons. Really shortsighted if they do though - both in terms of his importance to Disney and the optics of removing that right before Pride month.)
I believe Don Hahn owns the film itself, with Disney only distributing it under license. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds another home for it.

doctornick

So are those shows leaving the service everywhere or is it just a country specific thing? And I guess I’m still confused as to why they leave since many were made for D+ or (I would think) owned by Disney. How is there any expense in still carrying something you already own?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So are those shows leaving the service everywhere or is it just a country specific thing? And I guess I’m still confused as to why they leave since many were made for D+ or (I would think) owned by Disney. How is there any expense in still carrying something you already own?
From what I understand it’s everywhere.

Disney is basically reintroducing the Disney Vault within D+. Scarcity equals demand equals revenue. We’ll see if it works.

sedati

The first four Indiana Jones movies land on Disney+ May 31, 2023.

Thrilled to see this news as I think that was a gaping hole in the catalog. Apparently they made a deal to share streaming rights with Paramount. Back in 2013 they bought out distribution rights but only for future projects.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
From what I understand it’s everywhere.

Disney is basically reintroducing the Disney Vault within D+. Scarcity equals demand equals revenue. We’ll see if it works.
That only works for shows that are popular. ;)

Shows that don't get the views and are licensed from other owners or have continuing residuals are in the cross hairs.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom