Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Wendy Pleakley

There's a bit of outrage over the Netflix password crack down that I think is over the top. People expect their one subscription should be good for themselves, their sister, their mother, their cousin, their other cousin, etc. People keep complaining their kids at college can't share the account. When I moved out for school, I had to pay for my own things. I don't get it.

Just price it accordingly. Surely there's a way to charge people who share a bit more, but keep the feature that many people respond to.

Having said that, it's bad timing as the quality level of Netflix has gone down. They also really need their shows to be self contained on a season by season basis. As has been pointed out, they're creating a catch 22 situation. People don't watch things right away, until they know the story will get a conclusion. As a result, stories don't get concluded because shows are cancelled right away.

Disney for the most part has had success with quality over quantity. There's almost always a new episode of a decent series any given week. A few things like National Treasure haven't landed for me, but the Star Wars and Marvel content is consistently decent.

BrianLo

Wut?

They're not the same price. You pay more than we do.

US Disney+ is $8.

Canadian Disney+ with Star is $12 CAD (roughly $9 USD).

US Disney+ with Hulu is $10.

I didn't meant to start an argument, but D+/Star in Canada is ad-free. The price you are comparing to in the states are the new basic ad included pricing.

It's actually 10.99 USD in US now for just D+ without ads. I'm not sure you can get an ad free dual bundle in the US without going for the D+/Hulu/ESPN premium bundle.

My point really wasn't that it was cheaper up here, that's probably fleeting. More that the product is fully integrated from the get go, so the streaming service is looked upon as more 'complete' as opposed to having content on two different platforms. I do acknowledge the US circumnavigates that because of the bundle.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

What I've learned, being on a very tight budget right now, is that I can live without all paid streamers regularly and just dip in now and then if there's a really good promotion.

I currently have Disney+ but that's because I paid upfront for the year for the cheaper price. Once that year is over, I'm cutting that one, too.

Bouncing around a month here and there on various paid streamers and then using the free streamers in between is working for me.

I had a promotion for three months of HBOMax at $1.99 and I canceled at two months because I'd watched everything I needed to and they announced they were dropping the last few shows I wanted to see to free channels. It wasn't even worth keeping another month for $1.99 since I'd binged everything critical - that was unavailable for free - in two months. And now I'm binging HBO shows I hadn't gotten to on Tubi for free. Thanks for saving me the $1.99, folks!

I've learned I can get through a large amount of content in a month or two at most. There is no need to keep a channel any longer than that - especially when it takes a year or more between seasons of shows. So I won't. And once more people realize they can do the same, just as we did with cable - this $$ streaming ship may sink suddenly, too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well this might throw a wrench in the whole Disney+/Hulu merger theory.
I don't see how this affects Disney at all, let alone any potential merging of the D+/Hulu services in the US in the future.

The idea behind the merging D+ with Hulu is that it would provide a uniform experience across the globe. Not to mention the cost savings by having only a single platform to maintain.

So yeah let Zaslav continue the dumpster fire that he created over at WB-Disco, it has no affect on Disney.

doctornick

I don't see how this affects Disney at all, let alone any potential merging of the D+/Hulu services in the US in the future.

The idea behind the merging D+ with Hulu is that it would provide a uniform experience across the globe. Not to mention the cost savings by having only a single platform to maintain.

So yeah let Zaslav continue the dumpster fire that he created over at WB-Disco, it has no affect on Disney.
The idea seems to be a combined “premier” more expensive Max service and then offer a lower tier/cost Discovery service for those who want their reality fix but not all the more costly prestige stuff on Max.

Seems like the Disney equivalent would be a merged D+/Hulu service (like Disney/Star elsewhere) for a higher cost and then a cheaper Disney+ only service. Which I guess they could do if they wanted with a merged service replacing “the bundle” but I doubt that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The idea seems to be a combined “premier” more expensive Max service and then offer a lower tier/cost Discovery service for those who want their reality fix but not all the more costly prestige stuff on Max.

Seems like the Disney equivalent would be a merged D+/Hulu service (like Disney/Star elsewhere) for a higher cost and then a cheaper Disney+ only service. Which I guess they could do if they wanted with a merged service replacing “the bundle” but I doubt that.
Cost cutting though, as outlined as Iger's first priority, would indicate a merged service rather than keeping them separate and only offer as part of a "bundle". Lots of cost savings by having a merged service. Not to mention better marketing, another thing he mentioned as needing to occur with streaming.

We'll see what happens over the next year. But my money is still on a merged D+/Hulu.

doctornick

Cost cutting though, as outlined as Iger's first priority, would indicate a merged service rather than keeping them separate and only offer as part of a "bundle". Lots of cost savings by having a merged service. Not to mention better marketing, another thing he mentioned as needing to occur with streaming.
I agree. Just talking about what a similar approach would look like for Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom