Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm very surprised there are no ads for other Disney+ content attached to any content on the streamer. Even if it was a short montage on "New on Disney+" that hit viewers once a day.

LovePop

Disney+ will be the death of all future Disney movies such as the Little Mermaid Live Action that will be out soon. People are not going to bother going to the theaters and paying when they can watch the movie for free a couple of months after release. Disney needs to stop putting so many eggs in the Disney+ basket. Any new movie should cost $30 on Disney+ like it did earlier, and not be free for at least several years. There should not be any expensive new TV series made specifically for Disney+. Too much energy and money is spent in supporting Disney+. It's not worth all that. Whatever Disney+ is earning is at the cost of DVDs and movie sales and Disney Channel viewership.
It should be obvious to Disney and everybody else now that Disney+ is a good and reasonable thing to have, but . nothing more. It will never make as much as the theme parks, for example. It is just a small tree that bears a small amount of fruit.
Bob Chapek is a money savvy CEO, and so far he has maximized profit from the parks. That's why I don't understand why he is still pouring money into Disney+ when it's so obviously not a big winner.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney+ will be the death of all future Disney movies such as the Little Mermaid Live Action that will be out soon. People are not going to bother going to the theaters and paying when they can watch the movie for free a couple of months after release. Disney needs to stop putting so many eggs in the Disney+ basket. Any new movie should cost $30 on Disney+ like it did earlier, and not be free for at least several years. There should not be any expensive new TV series made specifically for Disney+. Too much energy and money is spent in supporting Disney+. It's not worth all that. Whatever Disney+ is earning is at the cost of DVDs and movie sales and Disney Channel viewership.
It should be obvious to Disney and everybody else now that Disney+ is a good and reasonable thing to have, but . nothing more. It will never make as much as the theme parks, for example. It is just a small tree that bears a small amount of fruit.
During the lockdowns, the parks were making nothing... in fact, they were losing money. And when they opened, at first they were just breaking even. What kept the corporation healthy and far from bankruptcy were their TV channels, which was still making billions.

But broadcast and cable TV are in decline. People are cutting cables in favor of streaming. If Disney isn't making money with streaming, and their TV income craters, then they will go bankrupt in a new pandemic (one which can be *much* more deadly than COVID).

Streaming is the future of entertainment. Most people aren't going to buy mountains of DVD (or CDs, for that matter). Instead, they'll be in favor of subscription services (premium, or free with ads), which is exactly what the next generation is doing.

Disney is still putting out theatrical releases. The lack of a full schedule was due to the pandemic, but, it's coming back. (Except for live action movies from Walt Disney Pictures.... which had been awful for decades anyway).

But Disney is also putting out a lot of quality TV... something they didn't do much of on their kid-friendly channels. They're producing series with big budgets and big names rivaling the 'peak TV' of HBO and Netflix.

Disney projects that their streaming will be profitable in 2024. They've always maintained that. And at this point, it's clear they'll survive if not outright win the streaming wars.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bob Chapek is a money savvy CEO, and so far he has maximized profit from the parks. That's why I don't understand why he is still pouring money into Disney+ when it's so obviously not a big winner.
Any time there is a technological shift the same arguments come out.

D+ is not the death of anything, its sprouted life into the company when it was needed most. Had D+ not been around its very possible that we wouldn't have Disney here today.

Disney Analyst

During the lockdowns, the parks were making nothing... in fact, they were losing money. And when they opened, at first they were just breaking even. What kept the corporation healthy and far from bankruptcy were their TV channels, which was still making billions.

But broadcast and cable TV are in decline. People are cutting cables in favor of streaming. If Disney isn't making money with streaming, and their TV income craters, then they will go bankrupt in a new pandemic (one which can be *much* more deadly than COVID).

Streaming is the future of entertainment. Most people aren't going to buy mountains of DVD (or CDs, for that matter). Instead, they'll be in favor of subscription services (premium, or free with ads), which is exactly what the next generation is doing.

Disney is still putting out theatrical releases. The lack of a full schedule was due to the pandemic, but, it's coming back. (Except for live action movies from Walt Disney Pictures.... which had been awful for decades anyway).

But Disney is also putting out a lot of quality TV... something they didn't do much of on their kid-friendly channels. They're producing series with big budgets and big names rivaling the 'peak TV' of HBO and Netflix.

Disney projects that their streaming will be profitable in 2024. They've always maintained that. And at this point, it's clear they'll survive if not outright win the streaming wars.

I agree with your assessment.

As a 31 year old millennial, I have never, and will never pay for cable. I do not buy movies on DVD. I do however currently utilize Netflix, Disney+, Crave, Prime, and Apple TV+.

We only pay for Disney+, Crave, and Prime is simply because my partner uses Amazon a fair amount. We share with others, who let us use their Netflix and Apple TV+.

I also agree, I think Disney+ will win the streaming war. The gains they made on Netflix in such a short period is astounding.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree with your assessment.

As a 31 year old millennial, I have never, and will never pay for cable. I do not buy movies on DVD. I do however currently utilize Netflix, Disney+, Crave, Prime, and Apple TV+.

We only pay for Disney+, Crave, and Prime is simply because my partner uses Amazon a fair amount. We share with others, who let us use their Netflix and Apple TV+.

I also agree, I think Disney+ will win the streaming war. The gains they made on Netflix in such a short period is astounding.
And your experience is the basic experience for the younger generations starting to purchase services. And this is where the paradigm of media consumption is going as cable and regular broadcast TV will die off eventually.

The thing that is funny is for all the cord cutting and complaints of the cable model with paying for stuff not wanted, the streaming model is already starting to heading right toward being a new version of the cable model. As the saying goes, everything old is eventually new again.

Disney Analyst

And your experience is the basic experience for the younger generations starting to purchase services. And this is where the paradigm of media consumption is going as cable and regular broadcast TV will die off eventually.

The thing that is funny is for all the cord cutting and complaints of the cable model with paying for stuff not wanted, the streaming model is already starting to heading right toward being a new version of the cable model. As the saying goes, everything old is eventually new again.

and if we are honest, the younger generation can access any media they want... if they don't want to pay for a streaming service... there are... ways.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Martin Short and Shania Twain are in final talks to join ABC’s “Beauty and the Beast” special.

Sources tell Variety that Short would play Lumière while Twain will take on the role of Mrs. Potts in “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration.”

The news comes just days after Variety exclusively reported that David Alan Grier will play the role of Cogsworth in the production."

"The special will premiere Dec. 15 on ABC and stream on Disney+ the next day."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
and if we are honest, the younger generation can access any media they want... if they don't want to pay for a streaming service... there are... ways.
Well that is has always been the case since the early days of movies and television, from bootlegging to piracy to sharing of passwords, etc.

However as more and more studios pull content and lock down their services to make them the gatekeepers its going to become harder and harder to find "other ways" to get access without paying.

doctornick

Yeah. Probably the only way that streaming really “works” is by eventually becoming just like cable but done over the internet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah. Probably the only way that streaming really “works” is by eventually becoming just like cable but done over the internet.
Heck, even "cable" providers have been ditching the equipment in favor of streaming the service.

But yeah I agree, you're already starting to see partnerships forming and I expect an eventual "bundle" type offering of streaming services in the future.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the reminder about Schitt's Creek coming to Hulu beginning October 3rd -

Fd1yI0OXgAA48-f.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney+ is getting a new president.

Alisa Bowen has been promoted to the position. She was most recently EVP, Business Operations, a position that she was promoted to in February.

Bowen will continue to report to Michael Paull, President, Direct to Consumer, Disney Media Entertainment & Distribution.

It comes after Paull was promoted to that role earlier this year with accountability for Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Star+. He oversees these platforms globally for Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution, reporting to Kareem Daniel.

Bowen will take on the role of head of Disney+ after that restructure, which also saw promotions for Joe Earley as President of Hulu and Rebecca Campbell running an international content creation hub."

Indy_UK

I’m sure it’s been discussed a million times but as someone from the UK who has Star built into their Disney+ subscription, what does buying out all of Hulu actually benefit? It seems a lot of money to hold half of your content under a separate service?

Why not just merge the content like they’ve done internationally? If it’s just about Live TV then surely they can just add a Live TV tab on the homepage?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m sure it’s been discussed a million times but as someone from the UK who has Star built into their Disney+ subscription, what does buying out all of Hulu actually benefit? It seems a lot of money to hold half of your content under a separate service?

Why not just merge the content like they’ve done internationally? If it’s just about Live TV then surely they can just add a Live TV tab on the homepage?
The only reason Disney was able to add Star as tile in D+ and merge the content is because they own it completely. If it has been owned by another company, even partially like is the case of Hulu, they wouldn't have been able to do that.

So they want to do the same with Hulu, ie merge the services, and in order to do that they need to own it completely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom