Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

PiratesMansion

Here in the uk the lack of archive content on Disney plus is interesting. Not sure if tis a rights issue but I would have thought it would have been easy to provide a lot of this at little cost.

I would have loved to watch the old Walt era Disneyland and world of color episodes, especially the tomorrowland and park based ones but nine of that content is available. The true life adventures and people and places are missing as are most of the classic and even more modern shorts. As a goofy fan it would be great to be able to watch the ’mr average’ sorts or how to hook up your home theatre. Even things like Tail Spin are missing. Loads of classic era movies are missing as well like The Happiest Millionare, Doctor Syn, Rob Roy etc I know a lot of these are a bit niche but Im sure there are people other than me that would like to see some of these
Yeah, same situation here, really. You would think they could jump on that, say, right now, when they have limited new content that is ready to go, but they don't seem to have much interest.

I'm sure most consumers aren't clammoring for it either, but do they really think there's no market or appeal to at least, say, more of the classic cartoons with the fab five? They did pitch the service as a place that could eventually hold all of Disney's content, and if there's any time to build out the vintage offerings, now is it.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Yeah, same situation here, really. You would think they could jump on that, say, right now, when the have limited new content that is ready to go, but they don't seem to have much interest.

I'm sure most consumers aren't clammoring for it either, but do they really think there's no market or appeal to at least, say, more of the classic cartoons with the fab five? They did pitch the service as a place that could eventually hold all of Disney's content, and if there's any time to build out the vintage offerings, now is it.

I really don’t understand why things like the classic shorts arent available very easy content

The search function needs work as well. If I search for goofy for example I get one short but you can find more if you know the name of something. Similarly searching for silly symphonies gives no results but some shorts like the old mill are there is you search for an individual title

seascape

I just watched Deadpool and Deadpool 2 on Hulu. This is hopefully the beginning of R rated Marvel movies and shows appearing on Hulu. The biggest question I have as far as all Disney Disney streaming services is how long it will take for their total streaming revenue passes Netflix? In the September quarrter Netflix's revenue of $6.44 billion was only $1.5 billion more than Disney's Direct to consumer revenue of $4.9 billion. Disney is still rolling out Disney+ worldwide and is only $500 million a month behind Netflix and growing at a much faster rate.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

If they were to add an "Adult" section on Disney+ then Hulu becomes a lot less desirable IMO. They have already mentioned they are not going to expand it internationally anymore and will be going with the Starz brand instead.

I think the long term vision is either to merge Hulu and Disney+ into one service and completely get rid of Hulu or still keep the Hulu name and have it serve more of a niche audience with licensing of 3rd party content along with originals and Live TV. Next day streaming of content like they have been doing.

The latter would actually be preferable. There is an audience for Live TV streaming, next day streaming of shows and so on. However I'm rather curious on the long term vision TWDC has for their streaming strategy. I read somewhere that they have been approached by multiple people to acquire Hulu from them (including Comcast), but they have said no.

Crossfire

Looks like Disney created a Twitter and Instagram accounts for Disney+ Star, if look it up on instagram there's also international versions of the same account including UK, France, Brazil and Latin America. I guess Star will be integrated into Disney+, no need to download a second app kinda like Hotstar in india.

Disney Analyst

Looks like Disney created a Twitter and Instagram accounts for Disney+ Star, if look it up on instagram there's also international versions of the same account including UK, France, Brazil and Latin America. I guess Star will be integrated into Disney+, no need to download a second app kinda like Hotstar in india.

I hope this is what we get in Canada, with a lack of Hulu here... I would very much enjoy more adult television/movies.

Slpy3270

People are sharing a supposed reel with "Disney 18+" and suggests that BW is getting a Premiere Access release. Not gonna share it because I'm not spreading BS.

Few things:

A) Wouldn't make sense to dump BW to Disney+ when movie theaters could be back to normal by May thanks to the vaccine.

B) Trailer looks fake as hell.

C) What's the point of using the "Star" brand?

D) Would have to be a dramatic change for the Disney brand if they started taking it to a more "adult" phase.

E) Kevin Feige would quit if he learned Disney was dumping BW to Disney+ without his knowledge.

NateD1226

People are sharing a supposed reel with "Disney 18+" and suggests that BW is getting a Premiere Access release. Not gonna share it because I'm not spreading BS.

Few things:

A) Wouldn't make sense to dump BW to Disney+ when movie theaters could be back to normal by May thanks to the vaccine.

B) Trailer looks fake as hell.

C) What's the point of using the "Star" brand?

D) Would have to be a dramatic change for the Disney brand if they started taking it to a more "adult" phase.

E) Kevin Feige would quit if he learned Disney was dumping BW to Disney+ without his knowledge.
It’s definitely fake. All the dates seem random and make no sense whatsoever

seascape

Disney's streaming services are getting very interesting, especially Hulu.

Hulu with live TV currently has 4.1 million customers is the US and grew 41%. That does not sound like much comparee to Comcast's 20.4 million TV customers but they losing tv customers. Now, I am not suggesting Hulu with Live TV will reach the numbers of TV customers Comcast has but, in December, their charge of $64.99 a month with no growth of customers will bring in just under $3.2 billion a year, and that does not include the commercials. Nor does it include the 32.4 million Hulu without TV customers paying a minimum of $5.99 a month, which is another $2.3 billion dollars a year. Again, that does not include advertising revenue and is only revenue from the US. Just imagine if they grow 20% this year instead of 41% last year, that is another $1.1 billlion or a total of $6.6 billion without the advertising revenue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s definitely fake. All the dates seem random and make no sense whatsoever
You mean how like Rated R movies such as Terminator Dark and Kingsman Secret Service will be coming out before 18+ launches?

Or like how in 2021, there will premier on Disney+ these movies that are already on D+?... Mary Poppins Returns, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, McFarland USA, Tinkerbell Neverbeast, and Jungle Book.

NateD1226

New stills from Wandavision:

1606142483371.png

1606142492654.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom