Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The writing has been on the wall for awhile now, Hulu is not long for this world. As I indicated earlier this year in the near future you're going to see Hulu merged into D+. And the restructuring has all but confirmed it, and this article provides the same:

"The company has also considered ways to expand Disney+’s programming to include more mature content, and some Disney employees speculate Hulu will become a hub within Disney+. That has led some outsiders to conclude Disney’s interest in Hulu might be waning."

So don't be surprised if the recent rumors of D+ getting an adult section happens. Once that does then Hulu's days are numbered.

TwilightZone

unknown.png

Yeah....this sounds not good

J4546

im down with anything that get chip n dale back in the spotlight. I really wish there was a good toontown at one of the parks that had DUckburg with a heavy chip n dale and tailspin presence

Jon81uk

The writing has been on the wall for awhile now, Hulu is not long for this world. As I indicated earlier this year in the near future you're going to see Hulu merged into D+. And the restructuring has all but confirmed it, and this article provides the same:

"The company has also considered ways to expand Disney+’s programming to include more mature content, and some Disney employees speculate Hulu will become a hub within Disney+. That has led some outsiders to conclude Disney’s interest in Hulu might be waning."

So don't be surprised if the recent rumors of D+ getting an adult section happens. Once that does then Hulu's days are numbered.

In Europe they are going to use the Star brand from India for a new more mature streaming platform. They have no intention of adding more mature content into D+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Was in an interview on the 28 September
I'll have to give a listen to that. However since its with the D+ Europe VP that could only apply to D+ outside the US. It wouldn't be the first time that content was filtered by region.

Also this interview was done BEFORE the reorg.

I don’t think there is going to be anything more mature than the Star Wars content?
Then you haven't seen some of the recent X-Men content that was added.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Was in an interview on the 28 September

So I did have a listen to it, and he didn't indicate that D+ would never get mature content. In fact at the end of the interview a direct question was asked about would old Disney Archive content that isn't kid friendly be added like the old wartime propaganda films, and he was cagey about the answer. Indicating that it is likely on their radar so to speak.

So yeah I still fully expect that D+ will get a mature content section in the future. How long into the future and what exact content remains to be seen. Also its still even possible that D+ US will get the mature content in the US and that all regions outside the US all mature content goes to Star, or some variation there of.

Jon81uk

So I did have a listen to it, and he didn't indicate that D+ would never get mature content. In fact at the end of the interview a direct question was asked about would old Disney Archive content that isn't kid friendly be added like the old wartime propaganda films, and he was cagey about the answer. Indicating that it is likely on their radar so to speak.

So yeah I still fully expect that D+ will get a mature content section in the future. How long into the future and what exact content remains to be seen. Also its still even possible that D+ US will get the mature content in the US and that all regions outside the US all mature content goes to Star, or some variation there of.
I think the archive stuff can be seen as “educational” though so is a different sort of content to films/tv with sex and violence.
But who knows what the future holds.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think the archive stuff can be seen as “educational” though so is a different sort of content to films/tv with sex and violence.
Possible, but its clearly not seen as being for 13 and under which is what was promoted originally for D+. And given the recent content added such as the X-Men films that are seen as violent and have adult content that line is slowly going away.

But who knows what the future holds.
This is very true. Which is why I'm betting on a mature section coming in the future.

Jon81uk

Possible, but its clearly not seen as being for 13 and under which is what was promoted originally for D+. And given the recent content added such as the X-Men films that are seen as violent and have adult content that line is slowly going away.

I'm not sure what the American ratings are, but in the UK films can be U (for all), PG, 12A (over 12s only unless with an adult), 15 (over 15 only) and 18 (over 18 only).

All the content on Disney+, including the X-Men films are rated a 12 or lower. I can't see any content on Disney+ that is not classed by the BBFC (British film classification) as a 15 or 18. For example Deadpool (rated 15) isn't on D+.

All of the Marvel Avengers films are 12 rated too and they have been on D+ from day one. So there is plenty of Marvel content for 13+ but nothing aimed at 15+.
Based on British classification it is clear the line is drawn at a 12 rating, I expect in the US it is at PG-13, which is the equivalent rating and I think all the Avengers films are PG-13.

I recall Lin-Manual Miranda stating that he had to choose two f-words to remove from Hamilton to get it down to a PG-13 for D+.

So Disney has designed Disney+ to have content not suitable for under 12/13s by choosing to have Marvel on there.
I would still not expect any 15 or 18 rated content to go onto Disney+.
The inclusion of X Men movies doesn't show anything has changed compared to the original inclusion of Avengers movies, unless weirdly they go on to add Deadpool.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not sure what the American ratings are, but in the UK films can be U (for all), PG, 12A (over 12s only unless with an adult), 15 (over 15 only) and 18 (over 18 only).

All the content on Disney+, including the X-Men films are rated a 12 or lower. I can't see any content on Disney+ that is not classed by the BBFC (British film classification) as a 15 or 18. For example Deadpool (rated 15) isn't on D+.

All of the Marvel Avengers films are 12 rated too and they have been on D+ from day one. So there is plenty of Marvel content for 13+ but nothing aimed at 15+.
Based on British classification it is clear the line is drawn at a 12 rating, I expect in the US it is at PG-13, which is the equivalent rating and I think all the Avengers films are PG-13.

I recall Lin-Manual Miranda stating that he had to choose two f-words to remove from Hamilton to get it down to a PG-13 for D+.

So Disney has designed Disney+ to have content not suitable for under 12/13s by choosing to have Marvel on there.
I would still not expect any 15 or 18 rated content to go onto Disney+.
The inclusion of X Men movies doesn't show anything has changed compared to the original inclusion of Avengers movies, unless weirdly they go on to add Deadpool.
Yes they haven't added anything that is 15 and over (using the UK system) just YET. That doesn't mean they NEVER will.

Also it was originally stated that there would never be language or any type of nudity because its not family friendly, but clearly that went out the window with the X-Men content. So just because they initially state something is going to be one way doesn't mean it'll stay that way forever.

In addition as I stated before it is very possible that D+ (and Star) in different regions get different content due to a variety of reasons including license deals and ratings. This all started with a conversation about the future of Hulu and my thoughts on it merging into D+ in the future. Since Hulu isn't outside the US and Japan it really doesn't apply to what happens with D+ (and Star) outside the US and Japan.

Jon81uk

Also it was originally stated that there would never be language or any type of nudity because its not family friendly, but clearly that went out the window with the X-Men content. So just because they initially state something is going to be one way doesn't mean it'll stay that way forever.

If they weren't concerned about profanity then Hamilton would have aired unedited. But they edited out two of the three f-words to get it down to a PG-13. Everything is still PG-13 rated even the X-men films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom