Disney's report details deaths and injuries to the state

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Me too. AND to make things better for locals that are front-line CMs and can't afford much, they offer a flex-pay option for their passports. I'm not sure how much they are now, but in 2006 on my brother's college program, he paid 5.50 a month for a 2-year passport.
or the freebie hospitality industry AP's for Busch Gardens and Sea World that they offer :D

clearpath

I was with a guest who had a serious injury at Universal this past October during HHN. Universal refused to assist us in any way and refused to accept the injury happened in their park or was their fault.

Universal refunded us every cent and kicked us out of the park :rolleyes:

Universal will never get a penny from me.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think you should publicize this!!!!

Obviously Universal has adopted some kind of policy of completely ignoring injuries to avoid lawsuits!!

Thier employees must must be instructed to completely ignore injuries possibly even serious ones to erase any "trail" of it happening in thier park!!!

Unbelievable!!! This should be shouted from the rooftops!!!

CrashNet

It happened at one of the HHN houses... there was a nail on the floor obscured by a half inch of standing water... my friend stepped through it... all the way through it. It went through his sandal and out the top of his foot.
Whoa. I'm one to speak up when I hear about pointless lawsuits, but I would have filed a lawsuit for that one. There's no excuse for the way they treated you.

And Florida residents pay one time and get in SeaWorld for free for the remainder of the year? That's quite an AP. I wish I had known that when I was down there.

mkt

Premium Member
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think you should publicize this!!!!

Obviously Universal has adopted some kind of policy of completely ignoring injuries to avoid lawsuits!!

Thier employees must must be instructed to completely ignore injuries possibly even serious ones to erase any "trail" of it happening in thier park!!!

Unbelievable!!! This should be shouted from the rooftops!!!

Whoa. I'm one to speak up when I hear about pointless lawsuits, but I would have filed a lawsuit for that one. There's no excuse for the way they treated you.

I wasn't the one that got a nail through the foot... he chose not to sue, and I respect his decision. His foot healed, and I believe he was vindicated through other means :) We wrote several letters to UO management and all employees involved were severely disciplined (I got this info through a friend in the parks)... at the minimum they were demoted.

And Florida residents pay one time and get in SeaWorld for free for the remainder of the year? That's quite an AP. I wish I had known that when I was down there.

Yup.. they do it as a promotion.. you get a Bronze pass for the cost of 1 day

CrashNet

I wasn't the one that got a nail through the foot... he chose not to sue, and I respect his decision. His foot healed, and I believe he was vindicated through other means :) We wrote several letters to UO management and all employees involved were severely disciplined (I got this info through a friend in the parks)... at the minimum they were demoted.

Actually that's better. I just wouldn't have let it go without saying something, and it looks like your friend did the right thing.

ImaYoyo

or the freebie hospitality industry AP's for Busch Gardens and Sea World that they offer :D
Speaking of hospitality, have you ever been to the AB hospitality event they hold at SeaWorld twice a year? GREAT TIMES! Since DW is a Restaurant GSM, we get an RSVP card every year. SO much fun! They send out invites to most anyone that tends bar, manages a bar, or is a GM/VP of a similar area. All AB products are on tap (worldwide, not just US products) as well as many Bacardi and other partner products.

WDWFanatic

I went to a Wells Fargo event after hours at Sea World during the real estate convention and that was a blast. They gave us free ponchos to ride that boat coaster next to kracken and i never laughed so hard watching all these business type people riding a coaster with suits and cocktail dresses on. They even had a ice carving that said wells fargo in with the penguins

raven

According to the article, ALL theme parks report to the state quarterly, not just WDW. The paper only seems to print WDW's quarterly. Interestingly, the other parks are not mentioned at all...even if just to state that they had NO injuries to report. Hmmm "No other FL parks reported any injuries, or X Park had X injuries" was not mentioned. A list of all the parks' reports would have been unbiased reporting.

Exactly. WDW gets the most publicity when it comes to accidents or deaths. But look at all of the other parks, fairs and carnivals around the world where things happen all the time but they dont make national news:

http://www.rideaccidents.com/

executivechef

I was with a guest who had a serious injury at Universal this past October during HHN. Universal refused to assist us in any way and refused to accept the injury happened in their park or was their fault.

Universal refunded us every cent and kicked us out of the park :rolleyes:

Universal will never get a penny from me.

I do not believe this for a second. Universal would allow an open door lawsuit?
A serious injury not being attented and being tossed from the park because of it?

If your friend stepped on a nail, accident is an accident, by insurance standards has to be reported by park unless the party refuses treatment. It is then reported as an incident. With lawsuits at such a high I doubt very much they wouldn't have attempted to resolve this with medical treatment at the park or if it were bad enough to transport to a local hospital. To toss someone out and return money for an accident makes no sense to me. The attorney for the park would have nightmares. Rather tossing a limping person from the park to seek medical attention on their own and to allow media to get hold of this. Attacking this from all sides so no one could post a story like this on a blog and let the media fill in the blanks.

DisneyMusician2

A serious injury not being attented and being tossed from the park because of it?

If your friend stepped on a nail, accident is an accident, by insurance standards has to be reported by park unless the party refuses treatment. It is then reported as an incident. With lawsuits at such a high I doubt very much they wouldn't have attempted to resolve this with medical treatment at the park or if it were bad enough to transport to a local hospital. To toss someone out and return money for an accident makes no sense to me. The attorney for the park would have nightmares. Rather tossing a limping person from the park to seek medical attention on their own and to allow media to get hold of this. Attacking this from all sides so no one could post a story like this on a blog and let the media fill in the blanks.

What you choose to believe is your business, I suppose. But I find it hard to believe that a long-standing, respected member of the boards is lying through his teeth to put down Universal on a board that Universal probably couldn't care less about. There are idiots everywhere, and this time they were working at US.

Shaman

Makes for an interesting story doesn't it? Anything is possible I suppose, though you make interesting points and observations.

No matter the company, I would think or rather hope, that they take injuries seriously. If not out of compassion, out of fear of somekind of retribution.

:shrug:

davper

! There would probably be 2 people bleeding if I was told that.

What and where did this happen in the park?

If I needed aid like that, I am just going to call an ambulance into the park.

Once you leave the park without an unreport of injury, they are no longer liable. That is why no one is coming to your aid.

PigletIsMyCat

I'm prepared to believe the story, based only on the idiotic employees I have encountered on my two - yes, two - visits to US and OIA. Specifically the three idjits in 'guest relations' that couldn't figure out how to activate the annual passes I paid for online. Took them almost 30 minutes to figure out to tell me 'here's a comp pass for today, and tomorrow call this number and they'll deal with it'. And, of course, I had family in from out of state and we were planning on being at OIA at before the 9am opening, and the hotline they told me to call didn't even open until 9am. Grr. Plus, MKT is a respected member of this board with no reason to be disbelieved. From the employees I dealt with, I could easily see them ignoring someone asking for medical assistance, especially during a peak time like Halloween Horror Nights.

Shaman

You know...next time I'm at Uni I'll have to search for these so-called "idiotic employees"...I've never had such a horrible experience....sure they don't smile as much and may not be as friendly as the standard Disney CM, but they're not monsters either. :lol:

LilDucky

You know...next time I'm at Uni I'll have to search for these so-called "idiotic employees"...I've never had such a horrible experience....sure they don't smile as much and may not be as friendly as the standard Disney CM, but they're not monsters either. :lol:
I've been going to Universal for as long as I've been going to Disney, and I love the place. They may never say "Have a magical day", but I've never had horrendous experiences with their employees. I'm not saying they're perfect or anything (and that goes for CM's), but I just havent seen that. Dare I say that perhaps I've had more "bad" experiences with CM's....?

Note that when I say bad, I just mean 'copping 'tudes or just being unhelpful, nothing life scarring or anything

mkt

Premium Member

Believe it or not, I don't care :)

I've been living in Orlando on and off since 1993 (and spent a considerable time in southern california as well), and I've personally seen Disney and Universal both due many negligent things. If they didn't do anything wrong, then why are there attorneys in the Central Florida area whose sole field of pracice are injuries sustained in theme parks?

One of my friends who works for Disney as a defense attorney put it to me one way.. "another day, another lawsuit."

CrashNet

I've been living in Orlando on and off since 1993 (and spent a considerable time in southern california as well), and I've personally seen Disney and Universal both due many negligent things. If they didn't do anything wrong, then why are there attorneys in the Central Florida area whose sole field of pracice are injuries sustained in theme parks?

One of my friends who works for Disney as a defense attorney put it to me one way.. "another day, another lawsuit."
Exactly...they happen a LOT. There are actually lawyers down in Florida whose sole job is to defend (or prosecute) the actors who play characters in the parks. Half of the "lawsuits" are completely pointless.

Shaman

Ambulance chasers! :lol:
I'd imagine the parks do all they can to ensure there is little to no basis for lawsuits then...

mkt

Premium Member
I'd imagine the parks do all they can to ensure there is little to no basis for lawsuits then...

Yes.. and I'm certain they attempt to discredit the lawsuits with basis as well. Disney is a company, not a charity :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom