Disney's report details deaths and injuries to the state

Shaman

Florida residents pay 1 time and get in free the rest of the year ;)

I'll gladly pay $55+ to get free booze for a year :D

You've got the system figured out (yay Florida residency). How many injuries does that (will that) equal? Anually...of course....

sknydave

The article states no serious ride-related injuries were reported in the first 3 months this year.. How is that malicious towards WDW? I haven't read other articles this writer or newspaper have put out but I don't see anything wrong with how that was written?

Shaman

Thinking about it some more, I wonder if these statistics will come into play when they look at new ride technology in the future. After M:S and all the negative publicity it has received...maybe they will be hesitant to try different, unique ride systems and vehicles. How does the "arm" factor into this discussion?

Astronaut Jones

Disney doesn't seem to be at fault in any of those cases. Stuff happens. Disney, in my experience has seemed to be very responsive to injuries. I couldn't have been more pleased with the way The Disney Cast helped my dad when he collapsed in the food court at Port Orleans (he had ALS).

hokielutz

The article seemed very well written... and did not show a slant in the quarterly reports of these injuries or deaths. The facts.... as the newspaper states them... says Disney's parks or rides didn't contribute to any of their deaths... but that these people suffered from the fatal conditions which led to their deaths.

Not a whole lot to complain about this time around.

Wilt Dasney

The article seemed very well written... and did not show a slant in the quarterly reports of these injuries or deaths. The facts.... as the newspaper states them... says Disney's parks or rides didn't contribute to any of their deaths... but that these people suffered from the fatal conditions which led to their deaths.

Not a whole lot to complain about this time around.

Not to mention the very first sentence in the story reads Two men who succumbed after being on Walt Disney World attractions this winter both died of natural causes, according to the Orange/Osceola Medical Examiner's Office.

I think it's become SOP around here to yell "Slantinel" anytime a story from the paper is posted. If I had been given this assignment, I'd have written pretty much the same story, I imagine.

ImaYoyo

Not to mention the very first sentence in the story reads Two men who succumbed after being on Walt Disney World attractions this winter both died of natural causes, according to the Orange/Osceola Medical Examiner's Office.

I think it's become SOP around here to yell "Slantinel" anytime a story from the paper is posted. If I had been given this assignment, I'd have written pretty much the same story, I imagine.
no no, point being they're called SLANTINAL because they failed to mention the 2 deaths at Universal and the 1 at The Fun Spot. HOWEVER, when they DO mention any injuries or deaths at Universal, they're sure to refer back to similar items at Disney. Not to mention, they print this information for Universal an Sea World once a year, with Disney, they do a quarterly update. THIS is just part of the reason they're called the slantinal. The other part can be described in 2 words: Scott Powers.

JML42691

You are correct. A manager even accused us of lying when we presented him with the injury, saying there were warning signs of the dangerous situation. There were no warning signs whatsoever regarding the dangerous situation. So we went to first aid, and waited... and waited... and waited. No one was there to help us. We went outside and asked an employee to call first aid, she never did.

We finally walked to the front of the park, and asked for assistance. They refunded our money, and threw us out of the park through a side door. When we asked for a ride to our car (since our friend was limping quite badly and bleeding) we were told we'd have to wait an hour.
If what you are saying is true, then that could be the beginning of a lawsuit. Whether the injury was because of your own fault or theirs, they are required to offer you assistance or at least help you to an area to get help. Just out of curiosity(sp?), what ride was it and who did you first contact (in means of park employees) to get help?

Wilt Dasney

no no, point being they're called SLANTINAL because they failed to mention the 2 deaths at Universal and the 1 at The Fun Spot. HOWEVER, when they DO mention any injuries or deaths at Universal, they're sure to refer back to similar items at Disney. Not to mention, they print this information for Universal an Sea World once a year, with Disney, they do a quarterly update. THIS is just part of the reason they're called the slantinal. The other part can be described in 2 words: Scott Powers.

Those and quarterly "incident" reports from other major Florida theme parks were released earlier this week by the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection.

That's also from the story. Are you saying that Universal and Sea World only report their information to the state once a year, or that the paper only prints it once a year?

The Mom

Premium Member
Those and quarterly "incident" reports from other major Florida theme parks were released earlier this week by the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection.

That's also from the story. Are you saying that Universal and Sea World only report their information to the state once a year, or that the paper only prints it once a year?

According to the article, ALL theme parks report to the state quarterly, not just WDW. The paper only seems to print WDW's quarterly. Interestingly, the other parks are not mentioned at all...even if just to state that they had NO injuries to report. Hmmm "No other FL parks reported any injuries, or X Park had X injuries" was not mentioned. A list of all the parks' reports would have been unbiased reporting.

But I would expect that WDW would have more deaths/incidents related to natural causes, as their guests run the full range of ages and health conditions, whereas US/IOA (in particular) appeal to a younger, generally healthier, crowd.

erasure fan1

If you put the words Disney and death in the same sentance people are going to listen. Thats why news does it, you get more people reading/viewing. You never hear "a person died 3 days after riding _________(insert ride here) at universal" or six flags. But I read it and see it on local news when it happens at Disney. Remember its not so much about the truth but about the ratings. Just my 2 cents.

PhilharMagician

You are correct. A manager even accused us of lying when we presented him with the injury, saying there were warning signs of the dangerous situation. There were no warning signs whatsoever regarding the dangerous situation. So we went to first aid, and waited... and waited... and waited. No one was there to help us. We went outside and asked an employee to call first aid, she never did.

We finally walked to the front of the park, and asked for assistance. They refunded our money, and threw us out of the park through a side door. When we asked for a ride to our car (since our friend was limping quite badly and bleeding) we were told we'd have to wait an hour.

! There would probably be 2 people bleeding if I was told that.

What and where did this happen in the park?

WDWFanatic

Im not suprised at Universal or the orlando toliet paper sentinal. I never go there anymore

In WDW when i started to get an allergic reaction to something i ate at the castle they immediately took it off the bill and asked me if i needed any medical help. i didnt have to ask.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
! There would probably be 2 people bleeding if I was told that.

What and where did this happen in the park?
It happened at one of the HHN houses... there was a nail on the floor obscured by a half inch of standing water... my friend stepped through it... all the way through it. It went through his sandal and out the top of his foot.

ImaYoyo

That the paper prints it once a year.

Wilt Dasney

According to the article, ALL theme parks report to the state quarterly, not just WDW. The paper only seems to print WDW's quarterly. Interestingly, the other parks are not mentioned at all...even if just to state that they had NO injuries to report. Hmmm "No other FL parks reported any injuries, or X Park had X injuries" was not mentioned. A list of all the parks' reports would have been unbiased reporting.

There was a brief mention of the other parks.

Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay reported no serious injuries related to their rides in the first three months of 2007.

This is what I'm trying to get at. People say that the paper only reports non-Disney park injuries at the end of the year, but if they have some in hand now, then why put that blurb in? Either

A.) Universal didn't report any injuries for the first quarter
B.) the paper is playing semantics by saying there were no ride-related injuries when Universal did report injuries unrelated to rides
or
C.) the paper is lying.

On the surface, they do appear to have covered all the bases.

ImaYoyo

There was a brief mention of the other parks.

Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay reported no serious injuries related to their rides in the first three months of 2007.

This is what I'm trying to get at. People say that the paper only reports non-Disney park injuries at the end of the year, but if they have some in hand now, then why put that blurb in? Either

A.) Universal didn't report any injuries for the first quarter
B.) the paper is playing semantics by saying there were no ride-related injuries when Universal did report injuries unrelated to rides
or
C.) the paper is lying.

On the surface, they do appear to have covered all the bases.
I think you hit the nail there with letter B.

No injuries, "related to their rides". Those of us in orlando have become used to this type of reporting.

ImaYoyo

That's happened before :ROFLOL:
Me too. AND to make things better for locals that are front-line CMs and can't afford much, they offer a flex-pay option for their passports. I'm not sure how much they are now, but in 2006 on my brother's college program, he paid 5.50 a month for a 2-year passport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom