Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

PhantomX

I'm just going to assume that you've never been to Disney's Animal Kingdom, which far surpasses anything Disney ever did in the 70s and 80s in the theming department.

Some parts are certainly but the whole dinoland area brings it down and also some would argue that the theming in asia/africa go against Walt's design philosophy (although I dont mind that). Still DAK is the exception not the rule.

devoy1701

:lol: It has everything to do with who's running which park. That's what this argument is about. WDW.

Somehow you want to make this about the whole of disney against HP in UNI Orlando... Okay... No one is arguing Disney is bigger than UNI, has better rides when counted as one, or comparing attendance... That's not what we're talking about. It's who's "trend-setting."

And its WDW that is going head to head with WWOHP. Not DL, not TDL/DisneySea, not DLP, but WDW. And UNI is winning.

Universal is a theme park. They want to be the best. They want to outdo everyone else. So they create a huge, cutting edge attraction. That's not reactionary, that is currently being a trend-setter. WDW answer? They're getting an omnimover clone from DL. Yay!!!!

WDW isn't doing anything to compete with this.

IMO i see is as reactionary, despiration, and one last hoorah investment from a company who does not necessarily want to be in the Theme Park Business (blackstone). Universal sure has been trend-setting in Orlando for the past 20 years, haven't they...

misterID

Yeah, they actually have been trend-setters. Tony Baxter said they were working on something to compete with Spiderman... Guess what, that still hasn't surfaced. Surprise.

Creating WWoHP is far from desperation, or recationary... When you're in the themepark business, or any business YOU WANT TO BE THE BIG DOG. THE BEST. You want to create something the other guy doesn't have. You want to make jaws drop. That's your whole gig, man. That's the point of being in the theme park biz.

Are you sure you're not with TDO? The logic or view that building a huge, state of the art attraction that raises the bar as being desperate (because why else make an attraction like that, right?) really, kinda of sounds like them.

Dinoman96

Some parts are certainly but the whole dinoland area brings it down and also some would argue that the theming in asia/africa go against Walt's design philosophy (although I dont mind that). Still DAK is the exception not the rule.

I think you mean Dino rama, buddy. If we had Excavator on the other hand...

imagineer boy

IMO i see is as reactionary, despiration, and one last hoorah investment from a company who does not necessarily want to be in the Theme Park Business (blackstone). Universal sure has been trend-setting in Orlando for the past 20 years, haven't they...

?!!??!?! How can you call the HP expansion a desperate move? Do you see how much they've invested in it, how detailed and how large its scope is, and how jaw-dropping the early reports are?

devoy1701

?!!??!?! How can you call the HP expansion a desperate move? Do you see how much they've invested in it, how detailed and how large its scope is, and how jaw-dropping the early reports are?

I have. But I also put the 3 letter IMO disclaimer on that post as well. IMO Universal has had nothing on WDW in the past 20 years that it has been in operation. IoA was a nice attempt, but the Resort went stale right after that park opened by not offering anythign else new for almost 10 years after that park opened. HP IMO is nothing more than a SMALLER (in terms of size, immersion and amount of attractions) ploy than the entire IoA was.

sorry.

Dinoman96

I have. But I also put the 3 letter IMO disclaimer on that post as well. IMO Universal has had nothing on WDW in the past 20 years that it has been in operation. IoA was a nice attempt, but the Resort went stale right after that park opened by not offering anythign else new for almost 10 years after that park opened. HP IMO is nothing more than a SMALLER (in terms of size, immersion and amount of attractions) ploy than the entire IoA was.

sorry.

Oh, and what did WDW get during that time? A crappy Stitch Attraction? A bad Monster Inc "comedy" show? A cheap parking lot fair that gives Dinoland U.S.A a bad name?

RSoxNo1

A few pages back someone mentioned how Disney "reacts" with a lot of their attractions and theme parks. I agree.

I don't think Disney's current plan is doing just that - it's interesting but the Fantasyland Expansion is bringing Disney back to it's routes, Family entertainment.

Perhaps they go the thrill ride route as a "Potter Swatter" later on, but right now the only thing in the works that's a thrill ride is Star Tours 2.0.

_Scar

sorry.

Universal had IoA which also meant Spider-Man/Mummy on Disney World. There's beyond NO QUESTION Universal has had something on WDW. And IoA was a ploy? A ploy? I don't even know what that even applies to. I suggest you go to IoA before you consider it a ploy.

It's clear these two giant powers make Orlando one of the top, if not the top vacation destination.

wolf359

Oh, and what did WDW get during that time? A crappy Stitch Attraction? A bad Monster Inc "comedy" show? A cheap parking lot fair that gives Dinoland U.S.A a bad name?

That's a little selective, don't you think?

I think Disney has added or updated their fair share of attractions from 1999-2009.

Test Track
Mission:Space
Soarin'
Gran Fiesta Tour
Updated Spaceship Earth
Updated Living Seas
Updated China film
Updated Canada film

Rock N Roller Coaster
Lights, Motors, Action
Midway Mania

All of Asia, including Everest and Kali River Rapids
Nemo Musical

Philharmagic
Laugh Floor
Stitch
Updated Small World
Updated Haunted Mansion
Updates Pirates of the Caribbean
Updated Space Mountain
Updated Hall of Presidents

Testtrack321

I have not seen ANY materials from Universal touting it as its own theme park. The closest they've gotten is calling it a "theme park within a theme park," which apparently can confuse the hell out of people.

I stole this from themeparkreview, but hey, great artists steal :p

Number of times "Islands of Adventure" was listed in the press release: 0
Number of times "Islands of Adventure" was listed in the video: 0
Number of times "Islands of Adventure" was listed at http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/ : 1 (halfway through a hard-to-find video)
Number of times "Harry Potter Theme Park" was mentioned at http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/ : 2

MarkTwain

How would you say Asia and Africa go against Walt's design philosophy? I'm not arguing, but as a person with an interest in thematic design, I'm curious.

Too literal, perhaps?

RandySavage

That may have been the case for GE or Comcast (former/current part-owners of Uni), but not Blackstone.

Blackstone very much wants to be in the theme park business as shown by recent deals made with Uni Japan and purchasing Busch parks. As a private equity firm, their goal is to buy a business, trim the fat, turn it into a money-maker, then sell it, spin it off or hold it (whichever is most profitable). I don't think they'll sit idly by and let an assett like Uni Orlando decline in value.

*** The way I see it there is a relatively low incline curve of tourists dollars coming into to Orlando (particularly in the current/near future economy). There will be a small spike due to Potter in 2010 which may benefit Disney, but in the end, all the area attractions are competing for a piece of the same pie - just as they always have. The pie may get a little bigger for everyone, but with Potter, IOA will be getting a larger slice of it in perpetuity... this will come at the expense of Universal Studios, DHS, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, MK, SeaWorld, etc.

It's a zero sum game. We could see something like this: (using rough numbers):

2008 Market Share:
WDW 73%
Universal Orlando 18%
Sea World 9%

Potential 2011 Market Share:
WDW 67%
Universal Orlando 25%
Sea World 8%

If things shake out that well for Uni, I would hope Disney would react strongly to entice people back to spending those off-property days at WDW.

fyn

Of WHAT? How can you compare product sold measurement to clicks on a turnstile?

There's no market share in amusement parks, only attendance. Attendance will go up. How much, for how long, and at who's detriment is still WAY up in the air.

Market share of total central Florida dollars spent.

RandySavage

There's no market share in amusement parks, only attendance.

There's market share in anything salable - product or service - and it certainly applies to amusement parks competing in the same market.

My example is more of an abstract measurement of the potential success of Harry Potter, rather than quantifiable economic data, which, to my knowledge, is not publicly released or collected (other than attendance).

In short, what fyn said. We may not ever know (in $) exactly how big a piece of the central florida tourist dollar pie each park individually gets, but attendance can (granted, imperfectly) approximate whatever the actual percentages are.

MarkTwain

Precisely. They aren't idealized.

An fair point. But I think that AK's Imagineering and that of, say, Disneyland's Adventureland, are just two different styles. Where Disneyland, as a park dedicated to the imagination, presents a more idealized exotic locale, AK is more factual, and focuses instead on transporting you to a rather real place. But we still see the place as exotic and interesting, even if it is less idealized and more realistic. To me, in the end, its the level of immersiveness and detail that matters.

... What was the topic again? :veryconfu

MarkTwain

I stole this from themeparkreview, but hey, great artists steal :p

Kinda sad... as much as I want them to succeed, Universal doesn't seem to do a great job promoting their own offerings (or at least making them clear to the public). The Harry Potter super bowl spot was nice, but is it enough? It was lack of promotion that killed Islands of Adventure the first time around. What a shame too, because the expansion of Universal Studios into the Universal Resort was a masterful feat of planning and site development, and had it been a stellar hit, then it would really forced out WDW's hand of expansion during the 2000s rather than just sitting on their laurels the whole time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom