Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm talking as company, not park for park. You need to lump WDW, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong, Paris, and Anaheim together...Disney is the creator and trend-setter of the Theme Park industry. And I guess unfortunate to us, they have to spread out their technology and innovation between 11 different theme parks around the globe. If we only had the 6 National Theme Parks or even just WDW, we would be seeing a whole different story (and whole lot more investment and ideas!) Uni only has 5 theme parks across the world, and until IoA, they were mostly cloans of one another.

Er, um, After Hollywood and Orlando, IOA opened before any other Universal parks...the next one was in Japan and that wasn't until 2001

Krack

I think you're reaching a bit.

I'm not reaching even a little bit. Eisner (and Disney under his control) went through a period where it was infatuated with capturing guests on property and not giving them any excuse/opportunity to leave during their vacations.

So every important draw in Orlando got it's own doppleganger on Disney property. People are going to Sea World? Epcot gets the Living Seas. Universal is getting a new park? They re-purpose the proposed Epcot Movie pavilion as its own competing park. They are losing guests at night to Church Street Station? Pleasure Island gets built. People are leaving to go to Busch Gardens? Animal Kingdom shows up next. Kennedy Space Center is pulling people away? Mission Space gets built in Epcot. Discovery Cove? Night Kingdom goes on the drawing board.

People don't consider Disneyland as a multi-day resort location? They are leaving to visit all the other tourist areas during a typical vacation in California? Disney builds a "You don't have to leave Anaheim to experience all of California" park.

Disney couldn't be more reactionary if it tried. If you ran a successful, popular hot dog stand in Kissemmee, two years later, Disney would announce Disney's Hot Dog-o-rama to be built in the TTC parking lot.

devoy1701

I'm not reaching even a little bit. Eisner (and Disney under his control) went through a period where it was infatuated with capturing guests on property and not giving them any excuse/opportunity to leave during their vacations.

So every important draw in Orlando got it's own doppleganger on Disney property. People are going to Sea World? Epcot gets the Living Seas. Universal is getting a new park? They re-purpose the proposed Epcot Movie pavilion as its own competing park. They are losing guests at night to Church Street Station? Pleasure Island gets built. People are leaving to go to Busch Gardens? Animal Kingdom shows up next. Kennedy Space Center is pulling people away? Mission Space gets built in Epcot. Discovery Cove? Night Kingdom goes on the drawing board.

People don't consider Disneyland as a multi-day resort location? They are leaving to visit all the other tourist areas during a typical vacation in California? Disney builds a "You don't have to leave Anaheim to experience all of California" park.

Disney couldn't be more reactionary if it tried. If you ran a successful, popular hot dog stand in Kissemmee, two years later, Disney would announce Disney's Hot Dog-o-rama to be built in the TTC parking lot.

and Walt built Disneyland as a reaction to current amusement parks of the time being dirty and not a family friendly atmosphere. And Mickey Mouse came around as a reaction to Charles Mintz stealing away Oswald and his Animation crew. Geez, if you put it that way, I guess the Disney Empire is just a big sham that came from a bunch of reactionary moves.

Spin it how you want. Eisner's "reactionary" moves that were/are the evolution of Disney World and TDC worldwide made Disney Theme Parks the trend-setters of the industry the are today.

you know what. HP is a reactionary move to WDW stealing the spotlight in Orlando for too damn long. Hopefully people will overlook the fact that this isn't a whole new theme park as it's being marketed though and be ok with the fact that it's only 20 acres, 3 rethemed attractions and a new theme park ride experience. Being that it's a game changer the size of the entire project doesn't really matter i guess. :shrug:

Good night and good luck.

hrcollectibles

New details about Universal Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter and its signature attraction, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, have just been released, and it sounds like this attraction will offer one of the most immersive experiences offered by any theme park.

http://www.mugglenet.com/erichpfjreview.shtml

Harry Potter is going to attract enormous crowds to Islands of Adventure and the Universal Orlando Resort in general, reducing the number of visitors Disney normally counts on.

What do you think Disney is going to do to compete? Summer Nightastic and the Fantasyland expansion, as great as they sound, might not be significant enough to challenge Harry Potter. Do you think they might have something planned that they were waiting to announce for when ride details about HP and the Forbidden Journey were revealed?

I think if anything this will help Disney.. Sure the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sounds impressive... But once people realize they can do the rest of the park in about a day they will be looking for other things to do...I do think the attendance at Disney will take a hit.. But the Wizarding world of Harry Potter is just one section of one park.. Not an entire theme park....And from the sound of it the que and ride for Forbidden Journey takes about an hour, I wonder what the standby times will be....If anything competition is good...

Studios Fan

Competition is a good thing but the big question is how it will effect attendance at both resorts. Also with UO rumored to not being in great financial shape the last few years will they keep expanding the park. If they plan to live off the success of HP it will only take them so far is they don't expand the parks.

_Scar

I am so beyond excited seeing all this detail.

Screw Fantasyland for now, Disney should be trying to top this- and I don't think they can. I really don't.

misterID

I'm talking as company, not park for park. You need to lump WDW, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong, Paris, and Anaheim together...Disney is the creator and trend-setter of the Theme Park industry. And I guess unfortunate to us, they have to spread out their technology and innovation between 11 different theme parks around the globe. If we only had the 6 National Theme Parks or even just WDW, we would be seeing a whole different story (and whole lot more investment and ideas!) Uni only has 5 theme parks across the world, and until IoA, they were mostly cloans of one another.

You can't count TDL or Disneysea, Disney doesn't own them. And it comes down to the people in charge of the parks. There are COMPLETELY different philosophies between DL and WDW, and the World is NOT a trend-setter. That's not their focus at all. They are deliberately complacent. They feel they don't need to add anything significant. They have the numbers... Which shows you how much that is working when TDL/DisneySea is closing the gap as the most visited themepark in the world. That is SAD.

I still can't believe there are people here who actually think HP is going to bring more people to Disney...:hammer:

If anything, people are/will be cutting their disney trips shorter to visit UNI.

ctxak98

OK so.....ive been thinking about the wwohp and yes it does look cool and im probably going to ride this the next time i go to florida. every time i go me and my family do a one day thing at uni because we love disney way more. all i do in universal is spiderman, juraasic park, dueling dragons, mummy, and now probably harry potter. people who think disney cant compete are very WRONG. disney is always improving no matter what they do. even if its a little ride refurbishment its always better than it once was. ik disney has something big they are working on but are keeping it a secret...they always are. and remember that there are die hard star wars fans out there just like harry potter...and when star wars 2.0 comes out its gonna be a huge hit! and dont forget about the monsters inc coaster coming soon!. so you have to remember that disney is doing stuff but its taking longer because when its finished its always in tip top shape....and thats why disney is awesome because everything they do is so magical and makes your vacation amazing:sohappy:

ttalovebug

I'm a WDW passholder who has never even been to IOA. And I have never read a HP book or seen a HP movie. But after seeing these articles, I will definately be going to visit Universal this summer. This attraction looks stunning!!!

devoy1701

You can't count TDL or Disneysea, Disney doesn't own them. And it comes down to the people in charge of the parks. There are COMPLETELY different philosophies between DL and WDW, and the World is NOT a trend-setter. That's not their focus at all. They are deliberately complacent. They feel they don't need to add anything significant. They have the numbers... Which shows you how much that is working when TDL/DisneySea is closing the gap as the most visited themepark in the world. That is SAD.

I still can't believe there are people here who actually think HP is going to bring more people to Disney...:hammer:

If anything, people are/will be cutting their disney trips shorter to visit UNI.

They were still designed by Imagineering.

misterID

They were still designed by Imagineering.

This has nothing to do with Imagineering. I think disney has THE best imagineers in the industry, but you got to use them. OLC is using them (and are still planning more attractions), DL is using them, WDW isn't. They don't even finish refurbs of existing attractions.

devoy1701

This has nothing to do with Imagineering. I think disney has THE best imagineers in the industry, but you got to use them. OLC is using them (and are still planning more attractions), DL is using them, WDW isn't. They don't even finish refurbs of existing attractions.

Imagineering DOES have everything to do with it!!! THey are the reason why TDC is the TREND-SETTER in the THEME PARK INDUSTRY! Glendale, Burbank, TDO, the Imagineering team who developed Tokyo Disneyland Resort, THEY ARE ALL PART OF THE SAME COMPANY!!!! How many times do I have to say that I am talking about the entire company, not just Walt Disney World. We have 11 theme parks through the world that our talent is spread out among, so all of our innovation and new ideas are spread out among them. It doesn't matter who is running what resort or that the Disney Company just licenses it's name to the Tokyo resort, all of the ideas came from the same company!

Universal only has 5 theme parks to deal with, and the reason HP is going into Orlando is because WDW has been the reigning King in the area for along time. If DL Resort was a 4 theme park vacation Kingdom then the HP land would be going into Universal Hollywood. This is a reactionary move on Universal's part, not Disney's. Disney World isn't the complex that has been in dire need of new additions when you relate it to the Universal Resort.

misterID

Imagineering DOES have everything to do with it!!! THey are the reason why TDC is the TREND-SETTER in the THEME PARK INDUSTRY! Glendale, Burbank, TDO, the Imagineering team who developed Tokyo Disneyland Resort, THEY ARE ALL PART OF THE SAME COMPANY!!!! How many times do I have to say that I am talking about the entire company, not just Walt Disney World. We have 11 theme parks through the world that our talent is spread out among, so all of our innovation and new ideas are spread out among them. It doesn't matter who is running what resort or that the Disney Company just licenses it's name to the Tokyo resort, all of the ideas came from the same company!

Universal only has 5 theme parks to deal with, and the reason HP is going into Orlando is because WDW has been the reigning King in the area for along time. If DL Resort was a 4 theme park vacation Kingdom then the HP land would be going into Universal Hollywood. This is a reactionary move on Universal's part, not Disney's. Disney World isn't the complex that has been in dire need of new additions when you relate it to the Universal Resort.

:lol: It has everything to do with who's running which park. That's what this argument is about. WDW.

Somehow you want to make this about the whole of disney against HP in UNI Orlando... Okay... No one is arguing Disney is bigger than UNI, has better rides when counted as one, or comparing attendance... That's not what we're talking about. It's who's "trend-setting."

And its WDW that is going head to head with WWOHP. Not DL, not TDL/DisneySea, not DLP, but WDW. And UNI is winning.

Universal is a theme park. They want to be the best. They want to outdo everyone else. So they create a huge, cutting edge attraction. That's not reactionary, that is currently being a trend-setter. WDW answer? They're getting an omnimover clone from DL. Yay!!!!

WDW isn't doing anything to compete with this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom