Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

sponono88

If Harry Potter is as thrilling and innovative as something like The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, it won't be a theme park flash in the pan. There's a reason why Spider-Man is still considered the theme park attraction to beat in the world.

I used to think comments on Disney's homogenization of its parks was just something Al whats-his-face or Kevin Yee used to say as fan boys, but I actually am starting to see it now. Everything being opened up around all their parks all over the world are clones, clones, clones. There is so, so little to get excited about as far as Disney's output and it shows.

World of Color will likely be the best lagoon show ever but it's still just a lagoon show, Star Tours 2 was so dishearteningly necessary it will feel like too little too late no matter what, Little Mermaid will make a beautful little seashell omnimover, and Cars finally brings Test Track technology to the west coast.

In the span of months, we're seeing Universal try to only outdo themselves with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, deliver an all-new immersive 4D experience with King Kong in USH, create an all-new ride Space Fantasy at USJ which isn't based on any pre-existing films, manga, or characters to deliver a C or D-ticket spinning coaster which supposedly puts MK's Space Mountain refurb to shame.

It also just opened completely brand new designs and attractions at its new Universal Studios Singapore park, including Madagascar, Battlestar Galactica, Lights! Camera! Action! with Steven Spielberg, and new versions of Jurassic Park, etc. That's not to mention the Transformers rides heading to Singapore and Hollywood next year.

Disney has long been the trend-setter in theme park engineering and innovation, and rightfully so. But right now, it isn't. I don't mean only because of Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but because of its current lack of imagination in creating attractions for its parks all over the world.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss World of Color as just another lagoon show. The show will be the next generation of Disney nighttime spectaculars and is bringing a lot of new stuff to the table as far as new technology. You can't look at WoC, or even the models of the impressive landscape planned for Cars Land, and say Disney lacks imagination.

RSoxNo1

Disney's mentality has changed, and they have gotten complacent. Up to this point, Universal Studios has failed to take attendance away from Disney regardless of whether or not their attractions are better. For Disney to "care" about Harry Potter it needs to affect their bottom line. Spiderman never did that, so they didn't feel obligated to build a better attraction.

Compare it to the Oscars. Sure The Hurt Locker got the Academy Award, but Avatar kicked it's a$$ in the box office. So while people will argue that The Hurt Locker is the better movie, the dollars don't dictate it, and lately that's all Disney seems to care about.

Mouse Man

Honestly HP is going to open and do well in Universal IOA and adter about two years the park will go back to low attendance like it has been in 2007 and 2008 and part in 2009. You visit Universal and then go home. With Disney the differance is you go to WDW and stay awhile and enjoy all the parks, resorts, food, shopping, fun and games. WDW makes you want to just keep coming back. Universal does not do this. Lastly the resort feeling at Universal is lacking, in this I mean you feel your just staying at a Hotel outside of the parks like any other Hotle. I don't know about you, but I never felt this way staying the the Dixie Landings, or the Wilderness Lodge or even All Stars Movies and so on.

nerdboyrockstar

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss World of Color as just another lagoon show. The show will be the next generation of Disney nighttime spectaculars and is bringing a lot of new stuff to the table as far as new technology. You can't look at WoC, or even the models of the impressive landscape planned for Cars Land, and say Disney lacks imagination.

Like I said, it'll likely be the best lagoon show ever made. But it's still a lagoon show, something we've had the pleasure of having already seen in Disney parks since Fantasmic! debuted in 1992.

Buried20KLeague

I posed this in Eddie Sotto's thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well, just to put it out there in the discussion and see what people thought...

I'm very much looking forward to the Harry Potter attraction, but a couple thoughts about the whole thing bug me:

1. The idea of this land being set in the climate of central Florida bugs me. There's all this great artwork that makes it seem like it's in London in the Fall. There's even a few pictures showing snow falling and people in heavy clothing and coats. Most of the year, it's going to be 90's and people are going to be uncomfortably hot! :lol: So is this just me thinking too much? Or is it weird to anyone else? This is just a land that, to me, has a climate that we're inherently used to associating with it. It just feels weird. Like... When I see the polar bears at our local zoo in their outdoor area in the Summer. There's fake snow on the rocks, but come on. It's 100 degrees. The polar bears know better.

2. The other concern I have is that attractions that are extrememly reliant on cutting edge technology can suffer quite a bit more noticeably when upkeep is not "spot on". I think judging by some of the threads on the site alone, we've all noticed effects seriously effecting show. What's UNI's track record on effects upkeep vs. Disney's (which I'm more familiar with :mad:)? Do you think that there may be certain "service level agreements" in the contract that Rowling signed, or is that not something that's thought of in these cases (i.e. Lucas's involvment with Star Tours or Indy, or Spielberg's with JP at UNI)?

Mr.EPCOT

This is very true. Granted, I was only 9 years old at the time, but I don't recall hearing very much, if anything, about the opening of IOA. I do remember the local Fox news station talking about Universal Orlando Escape, but it did sound like they had put Jurassic Park and some other rides into Universal Studios. It wasn't until a few years later when a couple friends suggested that we go to IOA for a day that I found out Universal had built a new theme park right next door to the studios.

And who thought "Universal Orlando Escape" would be a good idea for a name? Seriously.

I prefer Universal Studios Florida myself. =D

It was actually 'Universal Studios Escape'

universal-escape-portofino.jpg

And call me crazy, but I actually kind of liked that name. It was like Universal was trying to have a name like 'Walt Disney World' in their own cute little way. But I completely agree that it probably confused the hell out of the average tourist. :lol:

Also, the name 'Universal Studios Florida' still exists for the original park, but they hardly ever market it that way. I'm not sure if you were suggesting that it wasn't around anymore or not.

Interesting scenario on how Islands of Adventure/Harry Potter has been and will be perceived as a new theme park or not. Does the average Joe who hasn't been to Universal Orlando know there are two distinct theme parks there? I daresay that everyone knows that there are at least two or three at WDW. Does the average person think that Universal is building a whole new Harry Potter theme park? Will the new visitors to Islands of Adventure who come for Harry Potter be surprised that te rest of the park is there, and/or think it was all built along with Harry Potter? Will there be a lot of people who are upset that it's not a whole theme park? Are there a lot of people out there that still think Islands of Adventure were just some rides added to Universal Studios Florida a few years ago? All fascinating questions. I wish I knew some of the Universal guest services employees to hear about how this all plays out.

Tinkermommy

We stayed at the DVC Grand Californian Villas in December with an awesome view right over CA. After the park closed at night, they were testing the light show. It looked really cool, just based on the tests they were doing.

Mr.EPCOT

Like I said, it'll likely be the best lagoon show ever made. But it's still a lagoon show, something we've had the pleasure of having already seen in Disney parks since Fantasmic! debuted in 1992.

Before that, EPCOT Center debuted predecessors to illumiNations in the early 80s. Even illumiNations itself came along in '88 or '89.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I posed this in Eddie Sotto's thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well, just to put it out there in the discussion and see what people thought...

I'm very much looking forward to the Harry Potter attraction, but a couple thoughts about the whole thing bug me:

1. The idea of this land being set in the climate of central Florida bugs me. There's all this great artwork that makes it seem like it's in London in the Fall. There's even a few pictures showing snow falling and people in heavy clothing and coats. Most of the year, it's going to be 90's and people are going to be uncomfortably hot! :lol: So is this just me thinking too much? Or is it weird to anyone else? This is just a land that, to me, has a climate that we're inherently used to associating with it. It just feels weird. Like... When I see the polar bears at our local zoo in their outdoor area in the Summer. There's fake snow on the rocks, but come on. It's 100 degrees. The polar bears know better.

2. The other concern I have is that attractions that are extrememly reliant on cutting edge technology can suffer quite a bit more noticeably when upkeep is not "spot on". I think judging by some of the threads on the site alone, we've all noticed effects seriously effecting show. What's UNI's track record on effects upkeep vs. Disney's (which I'm more familiar with :mad:)? Do you think that there may be certain "service level agreements" in the contract that Rowling signed, or is that not something that's thought of in these cases (i.e. Lucas's involvment with Star Tours or Indy, or Spielberg's with JP at UNI)?

That would explain why BB is such a failure.

sponono88

We stayed at the DVC Grand Californian Villas in December with an awesome view right over CA. After the park closed at night, they were testing the light show. It looked really cool, just based on the tests they were doing.

yeah, they have been doing nightly testing and hotel guests are getting a really good preview of the show :)

RandySavage

In my personal experience, here's how I would answer the questions. I have two siblings and we grew up in the NE with annual trips to WDW. Now we are grown with our own families and occassionally go to WDW (every few years). I am the only park enthusiast who follows developments closely. My siblings and their spouses represent "average Joe".

Does the average Joe who hasn't been to Universal Orlando know there are two distinct theme parks there?
No. They are vaguely aware that their are other parks aside from WDW in Orlando (like Sea World and Universal Studios) but stay at WDW.

Does the average person think that Universal is building a whole new Harry Potter theme park?
No. They may have seen a Superbowl spot or a newspaper article, but their minds are full of concerns/responsibilities outside the world of theme parks. Until they are making final plans, they don't spend a moment thinking about whether the Harry Potter attraction is a separate park or an expansion of Universal Studios.

Will the new visitors to Islands of Adventure who come for Harry Potter be surprised that te rest of the park is there, and/or think it was all built along with Harry Potter?
Yes. Again, average Joe's don't think that much about it. As they get closer to committing to leaving WDW property they may do a little research and learn about IoA for the first time. I don't know if "surprise" is the right word, but it will all be new to them.

Will there be a lot of people who are upset that it's not a whole theme park?
Harry Potter enthusiasts may be, but for the first-time-at-Universal Average Joe, the fact that the entire park is new to them (and Dueling Dragons and Hippogryph may as well have been built from scratch) and offers other excellent experiences outside Potter, means I think they will be satisfied with their visit to IOA.

Are there a lot of people out there that still think Islands of Adventure were just some rides added to Universal Studios Florida a few years ago?
The Average Never-Been-to-Universal Joe doesn't know what Islands of Adventures is... Again, they don't spend more than 10 minutes a year thinking about theme parks (other than the time they're there).

All fascinating questions. I wish I knew some of the Universal guest services employees to hear about how this all plays out.
This represents my personal experience of how casual, Average Joe, WDW visitor perceives the Potter developments.

My enthusiasm for themed design and our kids' appreciation of Potter will take our families off WDW property to IOA for the first time in 2011.

Pumbas Nakasak

Yeah I really don't get this. The impression in England from a lot of people is that it's an entire park. The media and travel firms have been wrongly detailing this right from the start, and have not reigned it back in.

Just seen the advert and if they think that theyll be well confused when they discover WDW is more than one park.

devoy1701

In my personal experience, here's how I would answer the questions. I have two siblings and we grew up in the NE with annual trips to WDW. Now we are grown with our own families and occassionally go to WDW (every few years). I am the only park enthusiast who follows developments closely. My siblings and their spouses represent "average Joe".

No. They are vaguely aware that their are other parks aside from WDW in Orlando (like Sea World and Universal Studios) but stay at WDW.

No. They may have seen a Superbowl spot or a newspaper article, but their minds are full of concerns/responsibilities outside the world of theme parks. Until they are making final plans, they don't spend a moment thinking about whether the Harry Potter attraction is a separate park or an expansion of Universal Studios.

Yes. Again, average Joe's don't think that much about it. As they get closer to committing to leaving WDW property they may do a little research and learn about IoA for the first time. I don't know if "surprise" is the right word, but it will all be new to them.

Harry Potter enthusiasts may be, but for the first-time-at-Universal Average Joe, the fact that the entire park is new to them (and Dueling Dragons and Hippogryph may as well have been built from scratch) and offers other excellent experiences outside Potter, means I think they will be satisfied with their visit to IOA.

The Average Never-Been-to-Universal Joe doesn't know what Islands of Adventures is... Again, they don't spend more than 10 minutes a year thinking about theme parks (other than the time they're there).

This represents my personal experience of how casual, Average Joe, WDW visitor perceives the Potter developments.

My enthusiasm for themed design and our kids' appreciation of Potter will take our families off WDW property to IOA for the first time in 2011.

I find it humorous that a theme park enthusiast is trying to answer those questions from an "average joe" mindset. :animwink:

Buried20KLeague

That would explain why BB is such a failure.

That's tongue-in-cheek... And uses the Central Florida climate in the story to make it fit, including making some water chilled to be "runoff".

At UNI, I guess they're just hoping that nobody notices it's 100 degrees, blazing hot, high humidity, and a brigade of ECVers that should NOT be allowed in spandex is rolling your way.

nerdboyrockstar

That's tongue-in-cheek... And uses the Central Florida climate in the story to make it fit, including making some water chilled to be "runoff".

At UNI, I guess they're just hoping that nobody notices it's 100 degrees, blazing hot, high humidity, and a brigade of ECVers that should NOT be allowed in spandex is rolling your way.

And Everest?

Buried20KLeague

And Everest?

That's a better point than BB. I hadn't really thought of that one.

Although it's supposed to be a mountain, very tall, and the only snow is supposedly WAYYYYY up at the top. But still. When you're up there in the dead of Summer, it ain't chilly. (though it would be, moreso, if the mist effect worked).

But still, that's a decent point.

Buried20KLeague

Oh right Disney idea good, anybody else bad.

What a load of Ertha.

Not what I'm saying at all. You should know better than to think I think everything Disney does is okay.

I'd say the same thing if Disney were doing this. The Everest example is about the closest I can see a comparison of... And even with that they at least TRY to rationalize it.

And I'll have to google Ertha.

Pumbas Nakasak

Not what I'm saying at all. You should know better than to think I think everything Disney does is okay.

I'd say the same thing if Disney were doing this. The Everest example is about the closest I can see a comparison of... And even with that they at least TRY to rationalize it.

And I'll have to google Ertha.

Im surprised at that, she was a famous singer, that has a useful rhyming last name.

Too many people are over analysing this attraction and every thing about it. It looks good and if the ride is as good as the eye candy then it will be a success. What it does show is how starved Disney fans feel of new major attractions coming to WDW. Maybe they should have built a massive soundstage that could control weather, but then most people are visiting to get the Florida sun, not to see a plastic set of buildings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom