Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

ElisaMouse

I'm just wondering what you plan to do for six days at Universal?

I'm going for a HP convention. So for 4 days I'll be doing lots of convention type stuff at the hotel, and there's gonna be an after-hours park event for us one night. And the rest of the days will be spent in the parks/ traveling to Disney for a day. :wave:

raiden

Front line in the theme park wars. You guys and gals truly are the best cheerleaders UNI and WDW could ever have!:cry:

I will be booking vacations for both HP and FLE. :p

Horizons1

Here's how things are going to go down.

Potter is going to attract major crowds to Universal. Both by hype and word of mouth.

Harry Potter is going to be amazing and raise the bar for theme-park design ten-fold.

Disney is still going to ride on name recognition and open the FLE.

The FLE is going to blow.

Princesses are NOT going to cause an attendance spike. Sure, they're hot. But that does not make me want to go see them. (Unless me and sleeping beauty can get some alone time. :D)

Mermaid is going to be a D-ticket. I don't care who said what within the company. It's going to be a D.

WDWMagic will be flooded with rabid fanboys and girls who will deny that HP is a much better theme-park experience than the FLE.

A million threads will pop up on the forums with stupid topics and inane dribble about "What's your favorite ride in FLE?" or "Backstage Area Visible from FLE. Walt Would Have Done Something!"

June 18th, I eagerly await your arrival.

Oh, and yea. I found this out using my "crystal ball", and I'm a "Time-Turner?" (No relation to Ted Turner)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Here's how things are going to go down.

Potter is going to attract major crowds to Universal. Both by hype and word of mouth.

Harry Potter is going to be amazing and raise the bar for theme-park design ten-fold.

Disney is still going to ride on name recognition and open the FLE.

The FLE is going to blow.

Princesses are NOT going to cause an attendance spike. Sure, they're hot. But that does not make me want to go see them. (Unless me and sleeping beauty can get some alone time. :D)

Mermaid is going to be a D-ticket. I don't care who said what within the company. It's going to be a D.

WDWMagic will be flooded with rabid fanboys and girls who will deny that HP is a much better theme-park experience than the FLE.

A million threads will pop up on the forums with stupid topics and inane dribble about "What's your favorite ride in FLE?" or "Backstage Area Visible from FLE. Walt Would Have Done Something!"

June 18th, I eagerly await your arrival.

You have a great Crystal Ball, albeit very distorted and obviously manufactured by Universal LOL

Figment632

How long was Walt Disney building Theme Parks when he started on Disneyland?

everyone starts somewhere and Lasetter already has a pretty substantial creative background. All you really need is a vision of what the experience is supposed to be like to be a guiding creative influence. Marty Sklar and Joe Rhodes were all once newbies to WDI as well...

Are you really going to compare Walt Disney and John Lasetter, come on????

Lee

Adventurer
Let's not argue the whole A-E system, it's been done to death. A ride will be called an "E" if Disney wants to call it that. It is a completely subjective and arbitrary system at this point.
At one time Country Bears was an "E". Who considers it one today? Same for Tiki Room.

In all likelihood, TLM will be called an "E" by every Disney talking head that has a microphone in their face. It's not surprising, and pure PR.
What I'm saying, is that everyone I have talked to who works for both WDI and other places, have clearly put TLM in the "D" range.

What that means is this: It isn't a Tower of Terror. It isn't a Splash Mountain. It isn't Indiana Jones or Everest, and it certainly ain't going to be a Forbidden Journey.
It has much more in common with the current Fantasyland dark rides than what is considered today, by those who design and build the attractions, to be an "E".

And that right there will be my last word on the whole "E" ticket thing....I hope.:rolleyes:

nerdboyrockstar

Let's not argue the whole A-E system, it's been done to death. A ride will be called an "E" if Disney wants to call it that. It is a completely subjective and arbitrary system at this point.
At one time Country Bears was an "E". Who considers it one today? Same for Tiki Room.

In all likelihood, TLM will be called an "E" by every Disney talking head that has a microphone in their face. It's not surprising, and pure PR.
What I'm saying, is that everyone I have talked to who works for both WDI and other places, have clearly put TLM in the "D" range.

What that means is this: It isn't a Tower of Terror. It isn't a Splash Mountain. It isn't Indiana Jones or Everest, and it certainly ain't going to be a Forbidden Journey.
It has much more in common with the current Fantasyland dark rides than what is considered today, by those who design and build the attractions, to be an "E".

And that right there will be my last word on the whole "E" ticket thing....I hope.:rolleyes:

If Little Mermaid is an E, then Forbidden Journey is an H.

Horizons1

You have a great Crystal Ball, albeit very distorted and obviously manufactured by Universal LOL

LOL!!! Yes, good one! HAHAHAHA!

No, I can see the facts. I pay attention to what goes on.

Actually, I do own a crystal ball. Not manufactured by Universal, though. It's manufactured by this place called...Facts of the Real World. Go figure.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm just wondering what you plan to do for six days at Universal?

Lines notwithstanding, I've rarely spent more than a day at both parks combined.

I think Potter will bring a new group of people down, but I seriously have my doubts that it's going to negatively affect WDW in the long run.

And, yes... the new ride looks AMAZING, but let us please not forget that most things at IoA were when the park opened. Those same ground breaking rides are now sad shells of their former selves, due to a lack of maintenance and upkeep.

Bollocks.

T-1MILLION

I don't think he has a Crystal Ball, its a Time Turner!

And Disney Expert, you mean like Everest with a broken animatronic in full view for years with many other broken effects?

Or Countdown To Extinction. No different story there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Personally I am hoping that HP does raise the bar, and gives the whole industry a kick. Competition is great and only serves to benefit us, the consumer.

However, I think a lot of people are seriously jumping the gun. Universal have a very sketchy record with past attractions. I'm concerned about the ride system reliability, capacity, and the actual quality of the experience. Universal are great at hype, and they talk a good game. However, the implementation often doesn't measure up in my opinion.

I'm very much looking forward to riding it, but I'm going to wait on my predicitions of how good it is until I've seen it. Same for Little Mermaid.

Rosso11

Everyone is looking at the financial impact of this but they keep forgetting a few very important things. Believe it or not many decisions that are made in these giant entertainment companies have very little to do with financial rewards and more to do with image and egos. From the sound of things Disney might be dethroned as the ultimate immersive Theme Park experience. If this turns out to be true and this land actually delivers everything it promises then Disney has a problem. Disney sees theme parks as their creation and the obvious leader of the industry. If the general public looks at this Harry Potter land as the ultimate theme park experience then Disney needs to respond. They have an image to withhold.

Ego is another factor that obviously is very important. We all know about Eisner's giant ego and how that affected many decisions over his 20 year span. Bob Iger's I'm not so sure about. But I'm sure there are still some big egos up at the top of the Walt Disney Company.

Then comes the egos that are not even in the immediate company. What about someone like George Lucas? Look at how Universal has bent over backwards for JK Rowling and created this amazing land for her creations. George Lucas is the keeper of both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. If there is any other Movie franchise that deserves its own land I would have to say it's Star Wars. Sure Disney is finally coming out with Star Tours 2 but he has to be looking at what Universal has done with Harry Potter and be a little jealous.

devoy1701

Are you really going to compare Walt Disney and John Lasetter, come on????

Again, you missed the point of my post. You keep looking at the words but not the idea behind them (even though I spelt it out in that post). Everyone is a newbie at one time or another. My analogy was saying that Walt necessarily had no idea what he was doing when he was building Disneyland.

Personally I am hoping that HoP does raise the bar, and gives the whole industry a kick. Competition is great and only serves to benefit us, the consumer.

However, I think a lot of people are seriously jumping the gun. Universal have a very sketchy record with past attractions. I'm concerned about the ride system reliability, capacity, and the actual quality of the experience. Universal are great at hype, and they talk a good game. However, the implementation often doesn't measure up in my opinion.

I'm very much looking forward to riding it, but I'm going to wait on my predicitions of how good it is until I've seen it. Same for Little Mermaid.

uh oh...we need a new acronym...i thought you meant Hall of Presidents!

Everyone is looking at the financial impact of this but they keep forgetting a few very important things. Believe it or not many decisions that are made in these giant entertainment companies have very little to do with financial rewards and more to do with image and egos. From the sound of things Disney might be dethroned as the ultimate immersive Theme Park experience. If this turns out to be true and this land actually delivers everything it promises then Disney has a problem. Disney sees theme parks as their creation and the obvious leader of the industry. If the general public looks at this Harry Potter land as the ultimate theme park experience then Disney needs to respond. They have an image to withhold.

Ego is another factor that obviously is very important. We all know about Eisner's giant ego and how that affected many decisions over his 20 year span. Bob Iger's I'm not so sure about. But I'm sure there are still some big egos up at the top of the Walt Disney Company.

Then comes the egos that are not even in the immediate company. What about someone like George Lucas? Look at how Universal has bent over backwards for JK Rowling and created this amazing land for her creations. George Lucas is the keeper of both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. If there is any other Movie franchise that deserves its own land I would have to say it's Star Wars. Sure Disney is finally coming out with Star Tours 2 but he has to be looking at what Universal has done with Harry Potter and be a little jealous.

The fact that the Walt Disney Company invented the Theme Park can never be disputed...because Walt Disney DID create the Theme Park. Now whether or not they will always be the reigning power in theme part design is definitely a feasible question, but your basing the whole theme park throne on a 15 acre area of one Universal Park? Again, I think you have to keep it into perspective instead of just looking at this as FLE versus HP Land.

And I don't think George Lucas is jealous or would ever be jealous of JK Rowling and Harry Potter land. He's not banking the meaning and worth of his life over the kind of presence he has in Theme Parks.

Figment632

Again, you missed the point of my post. You keep looking at the words but not the idea behind them (even though I spelt it out in that post). Everyone is a newbie at one time or another. My analogy was saying that Walt necessarily had no idea what he was doing when he was building Disneyland.

The fact that the Walt Disney Company invented the Theme Park can never be disputed...because Walt Disney DID create the Theme Park. Now whether or not they will always be the reigning power in theme part design is definitely a feasible question, but your basing the whole theme park throne on a 15 acre area of one Universal Park? Again, I think you have to keep it into perspective instead of just looking at this as FLE versus HP Land.

And I don't think George Lucas is jealous or would ever be jealous of JK Rowling and Harry Potter land. He's not banking the meaning and worth of his life over the kind of presence he has in Theme Parks.

I guess but it would mean more coming from an actual Imagineer.

T-1MILLION

haha. I definitely agree with you on Lucas, but this is more than just 15 acres of theme park. It is all the detail that goes into it. And although Disney parks are still top knotch Universal has gone right up there with them and in some later cases trumped their experiences, but the issue for them is, is in the name and reputation Disney has. Many people just presume all Florida theme parks are Disney World. Its not just about Potter, but it does say something when we have a topic going on this long and you are even able to question what Disney should be doing. They should be stomping anything that even draws attention away or matches them.

Both companies have their pros and cons, but the line of seperation is so thin.

But if people want the truth. Fantasyland Expansion and Star Tours are the plan against potter. They only became greenlit because of Universal having this big project. Some people don't want to admit that, but it is what it is.

Skyway

I think all of you are ignoring a HUGE factor that changes this whole Potter vs FL argument: the economy.

Right now, both companies are suffering, because many visitors are postponing their vacations. The conventional wisdom is that the economy will pick up over the next two years, unleashing a flood of pent-up tourist demand.

Both parks need different strategies, based on their needs and reputation.

If a brand new Disney park and a brand new Universal park were to open on the same day in the middle of Kansas, I doubt there's any question which ticket booth would have the longest line.

That's basically the scenario that is anticipated in Orlando soon.

If this holds true, Disney would be foolish to spend money on a blockbuster E-Ticket right now, since there is anticipation that crowds will be coming anyway. What they need is capacity to handle those anticipated crowds---something FLE will achieve.

Universal does not have that built-in audience. And unfortunately they have plenty of unused capacity.

It was wise for them to build a blockbuster attraction using a character that has that built-in audience. This puts Universal back on the map just as visitors will hopefully be looking for a map.

Both expansions will help both parks in the ways they need...if the economy rebounds in the next 2-4 years.

But what if it doesn't? Was Disney foolish not to build a headline-grabbing attraction to push hesitant visitors to buy a plane ticket? And will the Potter expansion at a much less popular theme park achieve that same goal of encouraging plane ticket purchases in a bad economy, when that money could have been used to build a wider variety of attractions appealing to a larger audience (like small children, which are Universal's Achillie's Heel)

My guess is that NO theme park addition could overcome a bad economy. Only discounts can (which Disney has succeeded in doing, even if it hurts future bookings)

But I think both park's made wise gambles that should pay off hansomely for both companies...if the visitors open their wallets again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom