Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

_Scar

Sorry, but I don't think WoC comes close to Harry Potter even with all the effects working if they work like Steve describes them.

Harry just seems so much more bigger and revolutionary.

Before this article I thought it was a toss up, but seeing the details and the pictures... the queue alone leaves me in awe.

WelshBatman

I will say this... if the Fantasyland expansion is all disney has to offer to compete with Harry Potter, then they're doomed before they start. The reason I say this is because all of a sudden many managers and several survey takers have been finding out that in a way guests find the Fantasyland Expansion a bit sexist in that it tends to cater to little girls with all the princess stuff and there is virtually nothing for little boys. Harry Potter, on the other hand, crosses so many demographics that Fantasyland can't even dream of crossing.

That said, I do feel Disney has to have something else to compete with Harry Potter.

Mouse Detective

I want to be wowed at WDW, nowhere else. Disney needs to create a new, superheadliner, with cutting edge technology that is also family friendly. We need a POTC for the 21st century. But we need the real Disney to step up to the plate.

You've obviously never been to Disney's most recent edition: American Idol Experience (An A or B-ticket?)

_Scar

I will say this... if the Fantasyland expansion is all disney has to offer to compete with Harry Potter, then they're doomed before they start. The reason I say this is because all of a sudden many managers and several survey takers have been finding out that in a way guests find the Fantasyland Expansion a bit sexist in that it tends to cater to little girls with all the princess stuff and there is virtually nothing for little boys. Harry Potter, on the other hand, crosses so many demographics that Fantasyland can't even dream of crossing.

That said, I do feel Disney has to have something else to compete with Harry Potter.

TDO is not competeing with Potter which is why FLE targets the demographic that WWoHP doesn't and IoA doesn't exactly either- little kids.

Universal's weakness- lack of kid rides

WelshBatman

I don't think FLE just caters to all little kids. It caters to little girls, let's face it I have a young nephew who could care less about all the princess stuff and there's nothing in that fantasyland expansion for him, but he's into Harry Potter and wants to see that stuff.

I realize there's no direct competition because FLE won't even be open for another few years and Disney has a lot more rides that little kids can ride and enjoy whereas Universal has very little for kids and Islands of Adventure is pretty much proof of that. But look at what FLE is putting in, all princess stuff and not every little kid, male or female, cares about that and those that do are primarily girls. It just seems like Disney's spending all this money on this expansion and it's kinda gender exclusive.

JT3000

TDO is not competeing with Potter which is why FLE targets the demographic that WWoHP doesn't and IoA doesn't exactly either- little kids.

Universal's weakness- lack of kid rides

Cat in the Hat
One Fish, Two Fish
Caro-Seuss-el
Seuss Trolley
Flight of the Hippogriff
Pteranodon Flyers
Storm Force Acceletron

And they can play in:

If I Ran the Zoo
Camp Jurassic
JP Discovery Center
Me Ship the Olive

There's enough to keep a kid busy.

_Scar

Cat in the Hat
One Fish, Two Fish
Caro-Seuss-el
Seuss Trolley
Flight of the Hippogriff
Pteranodon Flyers
Storm Force Acceletron

And they can play in:

If I Ran the Zoo
Camp Jurassic
JP Discovery Center
Me Ship the Olive

There's enough to keep a kid busy.

Not really. I went to IoA as a kid, and there's really not much at all.

Sure, playgrounds... but playgrounds aren't on the same scale as rides. Aside from Cat in the Hat island, nothing else is very kid-friendly. Nothing at all.

_Scar

I don't think FLE just caters to all little kids. It caters to little girls, let's face it I have a young nephew who could care less about all the princess stuff and there's nothing in that fantasyland expansion for him, but he's into Harry Potter and wants to see that stuff.

I have a younger nephew too, two in fact. I really don't think they care if it's a princess and I think they might like to play in Belle's storytime or dance with Cinderella as a knight or be entertained by the circus. Plus TLM is for all ages imo.

I realize there's no direct competition because FLE won't even be open for another few years and Disney has a lot more rides that little kids can ride and enjoy whereas Universal has very little for kids and Islands of Adventure is pretty much proof of that. But look at what FLE is putting in, all princess stuff and not every little kid, male or female, cares about that and those that do are primarily girls. It just seems like Disney's spending all this money on this expansion and it's kinda gender exclusive.

It isn't all princesses. With Belle you get Gaston, Beast, Lumiere & household items. With Cinderella you get knight training and a special effect. With Sleeping Beauty you get Maleficent with possible special effects. Dumbo is boy-friendly. TLM is def. for both boys and girls.

I'm really sick of hearing it's all princess. :shrug:

hoke2007

Sorry, but I don't think WoC comes close to Harry Potter even with all the effects working if they work like Steve describes them.

Harry just seems so much more bigger and revolutionary.

Before this article I thought it was a toss up, but seeing the details and the pictures... the queue alone leaves me in awe.

It looks absolutely amazing. The Fantasyland Forest expansion might be nice, but no way does it match the Harry Potter land at IOA. No way. If TDO would've gone all the way with the Space Mountain rehab and added a second ride to the Fantasyland expansion (BATB ride would've been perfect) then WDW wouldn't have to worry about Universal at all. But at this point, I think TDO really needs to re-think their strategy.

flavious27

You underestimate how many die-hard Potter fans there are in relation to how many die-hard Princess fans there are...I can't even count on my fingers and toes how many people I know who are planning to go and do nothing but Potter all day at IoA.

Which will be why it will draw people for the first year or two it is open. after the potterheads spend a full day in their 20 acre dream, the urge to return will not be there unless they add onto this "land". also, of the rides that are potter themed, only 1 or 2 are actually new rides. the diehard amusement groups won't see a need to ride the same rides again.

SeaCastle

Personally, I believe the Harry Potter expansion will help WDW. People who would not have otherwise go to Florida on vacation will go to Universal, and it is a fair guess that if you're vacationing in Florida for week, you won't spend a full week at Universal Studios.

Testtrack321

Sure they will, because they are plussed and better than ever before, something Walt Disney World these days lacks.

Yes when did Disney actually add on to their rides? Geeze!

Oh wait.

Hands down everyone in this "discussion" now is just making a fool of themselves. We're not talking about Universal marketing problems or TDO philosophical problems; we're now just spouting out more and more stupid, outlandish statements to heighten our opinions.

*closes thread for good*

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Personally, I believe the Harry Potter expansion will help WDW. People who would not have otherwise go to Florida on vacation will go to Universal, and it is a fair guess that if you're vacationing in Florida for week, you won't spend a full week at Universal Studios.

No youll by the Orlando Flex ticket at half the cost of a 7 day Disney ticket and visit Universal Resort, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Aquatica and Wet and Wild. Or at least if you have kids over 8 and believe the image of Walt Dinsey World portrayed by Disney marketing.

Both need to do more to keep repeat visitors, I for one will be giving it a miss in 2011, other places I want to see.

71jason

I'm thinking those people are going to be dissapointed. The area is not particularly big, and with Universal's usual capacity levels, I''m guessing that the main attraction is going to be running at the 2 hour waits consistently. Besides the shops and the restaurants, there isn't anything new to do, certainly not to spend a whole day, unless of course they ride over and over.

I think capacity is the biggest problem Universal is facing right now. They shops were built to be realistic recreations of the vision in JK Rowling's head, not a Main St.-length store. How are guests going to react to the thought of an hour-wait in the hot sun just to get into a candy shop? (Even if it's the coolest candy shop ever built.)

As for the lack of rides--it sounds like Hippogriff will feel like a new ride, with new scenery and trains. And Dueling Dragons are, to me, the two most re-rideable coasters in Orlando. And in any case, both rides are "new" to first-timers. Also, not a whole lot of detail has leaked about the interactive wand rooms--those could also take an hour or two to explore fully. Just saying there may still be a few tricks up Uni's sleeve here.

I posed this in Eddie Sotto's thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well, just to put it out there in the discussion and see what people thought...

I'm very much looking forward to the Harry Potter attraction, but a couple thoughts about the whole thing bug me:

1. The idea of this land being set in the climate of central Florida bugs me. There's all this great artwork that makes it seem like it's in London in the Fall. There's even a few pictures showing snow falling and people in heavy clothing and coats. Most of the year, it's going to be 90's and people are going to be uncomfortably hot! :lol: So is this just me thinking too much? Or is it weird to anyone else? This is just a land that, to me, has a climate that we're inherently used to associating with it. It just feels weird. Like... When I see the polar bears at our local zoo in their outdoor area in the Summer. There's fake snow on the rocks, but come on. It's 100 degrees. The polar bears know better.

2. The other concern I have is that attractions that are extrememly reliant on cutting edge technology can suffer quite a bit more noticeably when upkeep is not "spot on". I think judging by some of the threads on the site alone, we've all noticed effects seriously effecting show. What's UNI's track record on effects upkeep vs. Disney's (which I'm more familiar with :mad:)? Do you think that there may be certain "service level agreements" in the contract that Rowling signed, or is that not something that's thought of in these cases (i.e. Lucas's involvment with Star Tours or Indy, or Spielberg's with JP at UNI)?

1) Agreed on the snow theming--just seemed odd to me when I saw it in the concept art. I guess the thought is, story-wise, there are no students in the Summer, but I would have gone more generic. Moreover, I'm afraid the switchbacks set up outside stores are going to destroy the atmosphere as well. Maybe Disney was on the right track thinking this would work better as a "botique" park with limited attendance.

2) Uni's track record on effects upkeep is horrible--Expedition: Everest bad. On Jaws, I can't remember the last time I saw the "wall of fire," even tho the sound track and live skipper spiel still play to it. In Posidon's Fury, they turned off the showstopper effect in the middle of the show. And, on a similar note, this week, in the middle of Spring Break, I lost count of the number of restaurants that have been shuttered.

The only thing that may save them is word that the HP contract is airtight and very harsh. If JK Rowling is ever displeased--and she has a record of fiercely protecting her creation--she can make things very difficult for Uni.

BTW, my own #3). The lack of walk-around characters. I think this is going to disappoint a lot of people accustomed to theme park meet-and-greets. And characters would have been helpful to entertain people stuck in outside lines all day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom