Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

Disney Analyst

Oh man, I'm too excited about this very niche thread -- journalistic ethics in reporting on Disney and theme parks-- and I'm jumping on a day late.

I've covered a lot of beats as a journalist, from sports to local, state, and national politics, to health care to tracking health disinformation. Theme park reporting is something I do for fun on the side. In all of those beats, no PR staff has been more consistently confrontational, overbearing and unhelpful as those at Disney and Universal.

The last Disney media event I was invited to was the Toy Story Land opening in 2018, back when my site was called Orlando Rising, not Theme Park Tribune. Since I was still relatively new to the beat, I was assigned a Disney PR handler to follow me around the land. Among the multiple red flags that day, she forbid me from photographing how visible Galaxy's Edge construction was from the land -- even though actual guests with no such restrictions would do so just two days later -- and claimed later that this comment was "off the record" (which I never agreed to).

When I asked two Disney spokespersons (who were unnervingly positive, very "Stepford Wives" vibe) if any additional barrier would be added to block views of Galaxy's Edge from Toy Story Land before the public opening, they sternly replied, "We are not talking about that future experience today" and my handler scolded me for asking the question. I explained that I was there as a journalist to document the new land, not to explicitly promote it. I haven't been invited to a Disney event since.

Now, I have nowhere close to the following of @lentesta or others that have been banned, but I suspect the smaller your podcasts or site, it's a lower bar to blacklist you. In this case, Disney sure didn't seem to like my line of questioning.

I don't see these practices changing when you've got a former Big Oil spokesperson running PR now. If they're willing to cut off the Washington Post, they'll cut off anybody.

I won't knock every influencer or YouTuber out there, but there are many who seem to either lack any ethical qualms about towing the Disney line or can't afford to risk their access. At the Toy Story Land opening, I saw a group of Disney "mom bloggers" whose only complaints were they weren't getting enough freebies, like getting to bring their kids into the media preview.

I agree with this. Covering disinformation is my day job, and there are efforts in the political realm to freeze out news outlets that will report fairly and focus more on partisan sources that can be controlled. Obviously what Disney does can seem trivial in comparison, but the company will punish outlets for reporting important stories that reflect negatively on the company, like they did with the LA Times. I'm honestly surprised the Sentinel didn't get punished for its series on the lives of low-wage Disney World workers.

This is happening more with non-Disney parks right now, as I've dealt with some PR people retaliating against sites and publications that reported on their COVID-19 policies in any way that could have been perceived as critical.

Absolutely. Disney and Universal PR both use these tactics, though they may not deny access to the same publications. Some other parks can be similarly heavy-handed -- one Six Flags park refuses to even send press releases to me -- but others just want publicity rather than being so concerned with controlling the message.

That's an interesting way to do things. Perhaps even the fairest solution I've heard of in this instance.

I know one popular set of vloggers and Disney influencers have a policy of not reviewing anything when they were given free access. I don't think that's necessary if they're following similar standards set for movie or TV or book or food critics. Just be upfront about the access you were provided and approach a review from the perspective of "Is this worth the money an actual guest will pay for the experience?" And if you are a journalist, I think it helps readers if you distinguish your review (essentially an opinion piece) from what you consider news reporting.

I think Ordinary Adventures is doing the same thing. They are reviewing it from the media weekend, but also have a paid trip coming, and they also want to see if there’s a difference.

I actually think Peter has been pretty open in their videos about what he is not enjoying as much, mostly the reliance on the data pad.

Diamond Dot

I don’t want to invalidate anyones feelings towards how those comments or jokes may have made them feel. I am a gay man, it didn’t bother me, I think it was a poorly chosen inside joke between them and some gay friends that they shouldn’t have posted online.

But I also think it’s important to see how people lead their lives from that point onwards. I don’t think they are horrible homophobic people, and I believe their apologies were sincere.
Why didn't they remove the video then. Lots of people post stupid stuff that they realise later on is innappropriate, but, they didn't even remove the video in question when they were busted for it. Call me cynical, because I am, but, they probably realised people would go look it up and watch it, ka-ching!!!!

mergatroid

I think Ordinary Adventures is doing the same thing. They are reviewing it from the media weekend, but also have a paid trip coming, and they also want to see if there’s a difference.

I actually think Peter has been pretty open in their videos about what he is not enjoying as much, mostly the reliance on the data pad.
The problem is that if they say they like it that it will be claimed they're lying to make sure they continue to receive invites etc.

Diamond Dot

Funny that no one is pointing out that after doing the freebie these vloggers are happy to spend serious money on going back there, they are richer than the rest of us then. If I got a freebie worth that much I would not want to pay $5000+ for the same experience the next week, no matter how fabulous it was. It's nice they have that loose change to spend so freely.

lentesta

Premium Member
Oh man, I'm too excited about this very niche thread -- journalistic ethics in reporting on Disney and theme parks-- and I'm jumping on a day late.

I've covered a lot of beats as a journalist, from sports to local, state, and national politics, to health care to tracking health disinformation. Theme park reporting is something I do for fun on the side. In all of those beats, no PR staff has been more consistently confrontational, overbearing and unhelpful as those at Disney and Universal.

Thanks, @OrlandoRising.

Diamond Dot

I just recalled how I was at Disney in 2012, just before New Fantasyland opened and they were having a soft opening, I think it was only Florida residents or AP holders being allowed in, before the days of the vloggers. So I went up to the roped off entrance after seeing people going in and asked the CM who was there if it was open yet and he explained who was allowed in, I told him that I didn't qualify and he asked me who I was with, I told him I was on my own and he unclipped the rope and told me to go in and enjoy myself. Can you imagine anything like that happening now.

OrlandoRising

I respect Peter Sciretta as a film blogger, but Ordinary Adventures seems to have fallen into the theme park vlogger pattern of masking their criticism to the point where I can't trust their opinions. If the worst grade he'll hand out is like a C+, it makes it feel like that C+ (or 3 or 3.5 Peters, like he says) is really a F and he's afraid to be negative.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
Funny that no one is pointing out that after doing the freebie these vloggers are happy to spend serious money on going back there, they are richer than the rest of us then. If I got a freebie worth that much I would not want to pay $5000+ for the same experience the next week, no matter how fabulous it was. It's nice they have that loose change to spend so freely.

Getting early access is worth a lot of money. A typical YouTube video can generate $3 to $5 per 1,000 views (source).

A couple of sites that got media invites have already racked up 250,000 to 300,000 views in 2 days.

That's $750 to $1,500. Roughly $16 to $31 per hour, every hour of the day. It's three times higher than the medan US hourly wage (source).

Also keep in mind that the YouTube algorithm will "favor" these videos more than subsequent videos, because they're older and have more established "engagement." Likewise, Google's algorithm will favor first-out-the-door blog posts, so the sites can generate more ad revenue through web browser clicks.

I know a lot of this isn't obvious to folks outside the industry, but both Disney and their invitees are aware of what the quid-pro-quo is.

ETA: Clarified it's median hourly wage.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Why didn't they remove the video then. Lots of people post stupid stuff that they realise later on is innappropriate, but, they didn't even remove the video in question when they were busted for it. Call me cynical, because I am, but, they probably realised people would go look it up and watch it, ka-ching!!!!

I think they demonetized the video, but kept it up for transparency? I don’t really know.

All know is everyone’s feeling towards it are valid, and as a gay man I accept their apology and enjoy their content.

Disney Analyst

Just to add to this conversation:

I have less forgiveness for big news organizations, but I can understand a vlogger or smaller Disney new site being willing to go along with it.

There is a market for sites like these, and if that helps those sites or vloggers make a living… I say we as the consumer can support them or not, but I don’t blame them. Just take the review with a grain of salt.

Diamond Dot

Getting early access is worth a lot of money. A typical YouTube video can generate $3 to $5 per 1,000 views (source).

A couple of sites that got media invites have already racked up 250,000 to 300,000 views in 2 days.

That's $750 to $1,500. Roughly $16 to $31 per hour, every hour of the day. It's three times higher than the medan US hourly wage (source).

Also keep in mind that the YouTube algorithm will "favor" these videos more than subsequent videos, because they're older and have more established "engagement." Likewise, Google's algorithm will favor first-out-the-door blog posts, so the sites can generate more ad revenue through web browser clicks.

I know a lot of this isn't obvious to folks outside the industry, but both Disney and their invitees are aware of what the quid-pro-quo is.

It's free advertising for Disney and free money for the vloggers. Meanwhile families who will never be able to afford a Disney trip if what is happens carries on, will watch these videos and only dream not realising how much money vloggers make. These people are making home movies, not documentaries, if your neighbour invited you to watch their latest home movies you would make any excuse not to go and watch them, but, people happily watch stranger's home movies, the same with Instagram and facebook, we used to run a mile if someone said 'come over and look at my holiday snaps!' it's a strange world.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member

Let’s also account for the intangibles.

“Being amongst the first” - which leads to more views - Then lends itself to people checking back with that vlogger for subsequent content - then ultimately subscribing - giving them more subscribers - and then feeding the algorithm for the keywords.

mergatroid

Why don’t you explain to us why large outlets are banned.
Why would I? I've never made any claims about large outlets, feel free to check if you like? I've made numerous posts about vloggers but not large outlets. In my posts about vloggers I've admitted why some may not believe them and conceded that point fairly. I've added that it would be unfair to state that every vlogger is lying which is the view of a tiny fraction of posters on here. I said in this thread to weigh it up and decide from previous experiences with specific vloggers whether you trust them or not. I'm not sure what's unfair or not understandable about that. If a vlogger gets a free stay and then pays to stay and gives it a good review, a tiny minority on here will say that they're lying to stay in Disney's good books, can we agree on that?

mikeymouse

Actually the Trackers were removed because of homophobic and bigotted videos they posted in their early days on YouTube that they either forgot to or were happy to keep up for views. I've seen one and that was enough for me. They did a grovelling apology video that was as sincere as Mad Vlad's videos are.
That sounds a bit exaggerated.

lazyboy97o

Why would I? I've never made any claims about large outlets, feel free to check if you like? I've made numerous posts about vloggers but not large outlets. In my posts about vloggers I've admitted why some may not believe them and conceded that point fairly. I've added that it would be unfair to state that every vlogger is lying which is the view of a tiny fraction of posters on here. I said in this thread to weigh it up and decide from previous experiences with specific vloggers whether you trust them or not. I'm not sure what's unfair or not understandable about that. If a vlogger gets a free stay and then pays to stay and gives it a good review, a tiny minority on here will say that they're lying to stay in Disney's good books, can we agree on that?
You are clearly trying to deny the presence of any sort of quid pro quo.

mergatroid

You are clearly trying to deny the presence of any sort of quid pro quo.
Ermm, here's my earlier post on this very thread?

It's very strange how nobody ever answers the question why are so many of the vloggers who have continuously and honestly said negative comments about Disney invited to the Hotel freebie? DFB is continually making videos about things such as "The ten biggest Disney World rip-offs in 2022" or "10 tricks Disney uses to make you spend more" etc? For anyone thinking I'm making this up just go through their catalog of videos here. On this very thread somebody has just said that two of the invitees have said on their videos that they're returning as a paying guest to make sure Disney isn't offering less to paying guests than they did to the media and social influencers including DFB. Saying that implies that they don't trust Disney, is that the behavior of somebody terrified of upsetting Disney? We're told Disney have said to them "You've been given a free stay at our new hotel, you better not say anything negative or else" and yet on their very videos of that event they've said they don't trust Disney and are paying to make sure the same quality experience is offered to paying guests!!!! This surely negates those claiming that they will never say anything bad for fear of reprisals and shows Disney invited guests who have been proven to say negative things about Disney previously. Something just doesn't quite add up there does it?

A common sense approach would be to accept that some vloggers will have reason to fear the mouse or believe bigging them up will enhance their Disney relationship. Whether that fear or belief is right or wrong doesn't matter, it COULD be there and influencing their review. But surely common sense would also dictate that there's also vloggers who are honest, many of those invited have made numerous negative statements about Disney in the past but a minority are selling the idea that this never happened or happens, it did and it does. By all means choose who you believe, weigh up what they've said previously about stuff and decide whether they've previously lied about things or come across as being right in their reviews. Another poster said the other day "You can't even trust paying guest reviews because they may say they loved it as they're embarrassed admitting they've wasted 6 grand". I mean come on, you can't have your cake and eat it. Does anyone really think that somebody paying 6 grand and hating it is going to log onto Trip Adviser and say "I absolutely loved it" to a bunch of strangers they don't know in some attempt to claw back their dignity?

By all means wait for the paying guests to give their reviews, there's a logic to that which I can't deny. But certainly watch videos made by vloggers there for free and SEE with your own eyes what the place looks like or how the characters interact etc. Those things aren't affected that much by the opinion of the person filming. They can of course edit bad stuff out but what's including is exactly what YOU would have SEEN if you were there too. The fact that filming is their livelihood also probably means their visual quality is going to be better than the average none vlogger paying guests who films it, ironically giving you a more realistic image of what it looks like than you'll get from the paying guest. Again use some common sense and judge accordingly, it's a lot of money but somebody telling you "Don't book, it's terrible and the vloggers all lie" is giving a strange opinion and telling some fibs themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom