Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
Is that a mullet behind the millet then ?

6A65675C-2239-48C8-B27E-434AF675453C.gif

Casper Gutman

You’ve got to understand some of the rationale here. Someone mentioned DFB earlier. And that’s a good example

They’ll tell you the $10 hot dog isn’t a good value - avoid it at all costs. But that “specialty crepe” for $13.99 - well that’s the way to go.

Lends credibility for their audience by “steering you clear” of one thing - then pushes you right to a higher priced alternative.

There’s got to be a balance.
This is exactly correct. Vloggers need to maintain some pretense of “impartiality” to serve Disney’s purposes effectively, so some specific criticisms will be allowed - “super cool but too expensive” is a great example, because, again, WDW isn’t really targeting people who care about the expense. And everyone can see the costs anyway - it’s that “supercool” endorsement that matters.

What absolutely can’t be allowed are major criticisms of WDW at a fundamental level - something like the article Len sites about the resort abandoning the middle class (true, of course) or an informed discussion of the overall decline of the resort and the reasons behind it.

Is this a generational thing? I feel it’s just common sense that we need to consume vloggers and almost everything on social media with massive skepticism. For better or worse the traditional information gatekeepers have fallen over the last 25 years, and a huge amount of the responsibility for sifting and evaluating information has fallen to the consumer. I mentioned above that there are a handful of posters on here I trust to be honest even if I don’t agree with them, but that comes after I’ve been reading these boards for well over a decade. As for vloggers - why would you ever trust the fundamental integrity of someone who makes their living going to theme parks and relies upon them for continued access?

celluloid

Is this a generational thing? I feel it’s just common sense that we need to consume vloggers and almost everything on social media with massive skepticism. For better or worse the traditional information gatekeepers have fallen over the last 25 years, and a huge amount of the responsibility for sifting and evaluating information has fallen to the consumer. I mentioned above that there are a handful of posters on here I trust to be honest even if I don’t agree with them, but that comes after I’ve been reading these boards for well over a decade. As for vloggers - why would you ever trust the fundamental integrity of someone who makes their living going to theme parks and relies upon them for continued access?

I think so. Some had print, then more so TV and now vlogging self-published media. The biggest impact has shifted to that for the more recent gen.

Sir_Cliff

You have to be aware of any inherent bias in content you're consuming, whether news, reviews, or anything else. And it's certainly not only about positive bias; there's plenty of negatively biased content out there as well.
Yes, I'm kind of wondering what all of this debate is about. Aren't we supposed to be critical of any kind of news or information that we consume?

I'm puzzled from both sides about the defending and slamming of the vloggers. I don't watch them, but does anyone think the Disney Food Blog, for example, is going to make a video telling you not to go to Walt Disney World because it's a rip off? I don't think that's the purpose of a channel like that. They all have their markets and whatever other interests to look after, so that will determine their content. Same with anything. Does anyone really need a vlogger or puff piece on GMA to make up their mind for them on the Starcruiser anyway?

Diamond Dot

Vlogging at WDW has become an industry all of it's own. I went on YouTube a few hours ago and the algorithms were in overdrive. I had six livestreams at WDW recommended for me, I don't even click on them, I immediately do the 'don't recommend this channel' option. That is at least six people going to Disney for a reason other than a fun day out, they were more interested in filming themselves talking to their 'audience' of people who probably can't afford to go and are duped into thiking this is the next best thing and I have no doubt some if not all have the donation buttons on them and people are gullible enough to donate because they see these livestreams as a service to fund. I remember reading somewhere that Tim Tracker needs the money for his equipment, why? The guy lives in a house worth nearly $1,000,000, drives a Tesla, buys $500 Gucci cardigans and makes jokes about them on his channel and has countless holidays all over the place, all funded from his YouTube channels.
I am totally serious in that if someone is filming me, even in the background, I will be in my rights to do some choice little old lady sign language. Don't fund these egotistical grifters, go watch channels that support animal rescue, they need the YouTube revenue far more than Disney vloggers and you may learn something, especially Fruit Bats and Flying Foxes which have been getting a lot of unfair press recently and you won't be afraid to go and watch them in AK, one of my favourite things to do.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Vlogging at WDW has become an industry all of it's own. I went on YouTube a few hours ago and the algorithms were in overdrive. I had six livestreams at WDW recommended for me, I don't even click on them, I immediately do the 'don't recommend this channel' option. That is at least six people going to Disney for a reason other than a fun day out, they were more interested in filming themselves talking to their 'audience' of people who probably can't afford to go and are duped into thiking this is the next best thing and I have no doubt some if not all have the donation buttons on them and people are gullible enough to donate because they see these livestreams as a service to fund. I remember reading somewhere that Tim Tracker needs the money for his equipment, why? The guy lives in a house worth nearly $1,000,000, drives a Tesla, buys $500 Gucci cardigans and makes jokes about them on his channel and has countless holidays all over the place, all funded from his YouTube channels.
I am totally serious in that if someone is filming me, even in the background, I will be in my rights to do some choice little old lady sign language. Don't fund these egotistical grifters, go watch channels that support animal rescue, they need the YouTube revenue far more than Disney vloggers and you may learn something, especially Fruit Bats and Flying Foxes which have been getting a lot of unfair press recently and you won't be afraid to go and watch them in AK, one of my favourite things to do.
Or how about turn off the TV and go give back to the community or the planet.

sedati

So you've just admitted that they're being critical of things. Yet we're told by the minority that they're not critical of Disney because of reprisals? Nobody has ever said "They dare not criticise Disney unless they criticise Disney in a nice voice and leave you to make the decision", instead it's a blanket "Don't believe anything, they dare not criticise Disney".
1645987185926.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom