Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

sedati

I don't mean to single you out, because you're not the only person who's mentioned this -- but I just don't see it. That Twitter thread didn't read anything like this to me and I'm honestly not sure why people are drawing that conclusion.
1646049385889.png

He started bold and blunt then softened it further down the thread which is almost more damning knowing he has to understand how media is disseminated and most will only quote or even read as far as his “brass knuckles” analogy.

Last edited:

mightynine

View attachment 624573

He started bold and blunt then softened it further down the thread which is almost more damning knowing he has to understand how media is disseminated and most will only quote or even read as far as his “brass knuckles” analogy.
You mean the “brass knuckles” analogy that was from someone else that texted Len and Len himself said in the very next tweet that was obviously hyperbole?

lewisc

When we enter the theme parks we agree that WDW may film us for promotional purposes I believe. I didn't expect vloggers that could film us for their benefit and their continued profit.
A poster in a different thread suggested people who don't want to show up on a vblog should play Hotel California on their phone. Bloggers won't get ad revenue, assuming video isn't pulled outright, if it contains music subject to copyright unless they have permission of the rights holder

Sir_Cliff

Content strategy at its finest. It gives them double the opportunity to make content and ad revenue. Their earnings from the media trip will easily cover the second paid trip, and the end result of both will be a rather large profit.
I don't know whether I'm either too naïve or too cynical about how the world works, but I honestly find it hard to criticise vloggers for developing business strategies like this. Or maybe it's just that I don't watch any of the vloggers so I don't feel conned, but then I feel we all have the freedom to do that.

It seems to me that it comes down to the audience for these things. My impression is that a lot of them operate in a kind of symbiotic relationship with Disney and an audience that, on balance, wants to feel excited about their future trips to Disney and to have a little taste of WDW in between trips. They also might want some tips and info, too, of course. The people making the vlogs are looking to earn a living selling something that people want to consume. If people want hard-nosed critiques of WDW, though, presumably there are places to go for that. Hell, there's this site which is where I get almost all of my WDW news... oh, ah... inf... I mean, magic...😬 ;)

I guess I just don't see too much harm in it. Are there really people stumbling upon the Trackers and then mortgaging their house because their breezily positive videos have convinced them they need to book into the Grand Floridian and get to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party?

ImperfectPixie

I don't know whether I'm either too naïve or too cynical about how the world works, but I honestly find it hard to criticise vloggers for developing business strategies like this. Or maybe it's just that I don't watch any of the vloggers so I don't feel conned, but then I feel we all have the freedom to do that.

It seems to me that it comes down to the audience for these things. My impression is that a lot of them operate in a kind of symbiotic relationship with Disney and an audience that, on balance, wants to feel excited about their future trips to Disney and to have a little taste of WDW in between trips. They also might want some tips and info, too, of course. The people making the vlogs are looking to earn a living selling something that people want to consume. If people want hard-nosed critiques of WDW, though, presumably there are places to go for that. Hell, there's this site which is where I get almost all of my WDW news... oh, ah... inf... I mean, magic...😬 ;)

I guess I just don't see too much harm in it. Are there really people stumbling upon the Trackers and then mortgaging their house because their breezily positive videos have convinced them they need to book into the Grand Floridian and get to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party?
Maybe not mortgaging their house, but there have been more than a few people who watched vloggers who made "must do" lists for their trips and expected to be able to squeeze all the most in-demand experiences into a few days without much pre-planning or lead-time (meaning that their trip was doomed to be an utter catastrophe). No amount of cautioning or warning about crowds and the necessary pre-trip planning and effort was able to change their minds. (Keep in mind, I'm talking about pre-pandemic and pre-Genie+.)

erasure fan1

DFB works under the (in my view reasonable) assumption that its viewers actually want to visit to WDW and are interested in having a good time there. AJ herself seems to genuinely enjoy what Disney has to offer. I’m not sure what sort of criticism people are expecting from her under these circumstances.
She was pointed out as an example of a mainstream vlogger who will criticize Disney. But the truth is she really doesn't. Now the question is does she genuinely enjoy what Disney offers like you said? Or does she not want to bite the hand that feeds her? Personally I think it's both.

EPCOTCenterLover

No kidding. And I say this about Mr. Tracker as a gay (gay, gay, GAY!) man... Especially since Mr. Tracker recently had a spectacular handlebar mustache that in 1979 would have gotten him immediately comped into (with a couple of free drinks thrown in by the besotted bartender) any leather bar in West Hollywood or the Castro back then.

That guy was caught making gay jokes? Uh... I should just be quiet. 😶

I don't know what his wheelchair joke was, but I'm old and have seen the culture evolve on what's acceptable to say about the handicapped community. I hesitate to condemn anyone from the safety of 2022 for making a joke in 2010, or even 2015, when the culture is moving so fast now. Heck, President Obama went on national TV on The Tonight Show in 2009 and made a rather tasteless joke about "the Special Olympics", and he was forgiven.

I think so long as Mr. Tracker and his organization can now give the appropriate tongue bath to whatever TDO and Burbank is offering today, anything he may have said years ago should be forgiven. God help me if my bar conversations from 1982 were offered up today in transcript form! I'd be sent to life in prison by 2022's Social Media holy angels! :rolleyes:
There's a lot of honest wisdom and humility in your post. @TP2000- You are one of my favorite "must reads" here.

mattpeto

Are you familiar with the Disney Dish Podcast? As a longtime lessener, he never comes across as bitter. But being critical and honest when it comes to Disney and the Parks in general.

If you want bitter, remember ford91exploder?
View attachment 624362
He was infamous on this site for being extremely bitter and negative. To the point that he actually got banned from this site a few years back. Times like this makes me wonder how he would feel about Chapek being the current CEO of Disney.
That guy Ford91Explorer owes me money (for charity). He was convinced parades were gone forever.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DFB works under the (in my view reasonable) assumption that its viewers actually want to visit to WDW and are interested in having a good time there. AJ herself seems to genuinely enjoy what Disney has to offer. I’m not sure what sort of criticism people are expecting from her under these circumstances.
All under the direction of the Strategic Director lol

LittleBuford

Cambric Yard is the organization that operates DFB. It gives you an idea of how coordinated their operations are.
I still don’t understand. The link you provided opens to a page that states “Hiring company is NOT part of, affiliated with, or associated with the Walt Disney Company, its affiliates, or its subsidiaries.” What am I missing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom