Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

Diamond Dot

You’ve got to understand some of the rationale here. Someone mentioned DFB earlier. And that’s a good example

They’ll tell you the $10 hot dog isn’t a good value - avoid it at all costs. But that “specialty crepe” for $13.99 - well that’s the way to go.

Lends credibility for their audience by “steering you clear” of one thing - then pushes you right to a higher priced alternative.

There’s got to be a balance.
I watched a video some years ago about the DDP and their advice about getting the best bang for your buck and not having a snack credit for anything less than $5, worst advice ever. I didn't believe in buying bottled water with a snack credit, but, if you wanted something that was $3.49 then you should go for it, using her advice left me with 9 snack credits on the last day, not having what I actually wanted and buying stuff I didn't really want to take home as that was all that was available, tins of mints for goodness sake!
Fortunately the dining credits I'm getting next week are way more flexible, I can't wait to get my Nutella and Fruit Waffle at Sleepy Hollow, something that wasn't on the DDP. I can even use them at Citricos or Narcoosies if I wanted, that is my idea of a dining plan.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Fortunately the dining credits I'm getting next week are way more flexible, I can't wait to get my Nutella and Fruit Waffle at Sleepy Hollow, something that wasn't on the DDP. I can even use them at Citricos or Narcoosies if I wanted, that is my idea of a dining plan.
Must be nice...

Diamond Dot

I am watching Molly’s video from Allears right now. She states at the beginning that she is there for the media event but paid out of pocket to attend next week as a paid guest. She said it was specifically to compare and contrast to see if media is treated differently. So that should be interesting.
Double the monetising, clever.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Vlogging at WDW has become an industry all of it's own. I went on YouTube a few hours ago and the algorithms were in overdrive. I had six livestreams at WDW recommended for me, I don't even click on them, I immediately do the 'don't recommend this channel' option. That is at least six people going to Disney for a reason other than a fun day out, they were more interested in filming themselves talking to their 'audience' of people who probably can't afford to go and are duped into thiking this is the next best thing and I have no doubt some if not all have the donation buttons on them and people are gullible enough to donate because they see these livestreams as a service to fund. I remember reading somewhere that Tim Tracker needs the money for his equipment, why? The guy lives in a house worth nearly $1,000,000, drives a Tesla, buys $500 Gucci cardigans and makes jokes about them on his channel and has countless holidays all over the place, all funded from his YouTube channels.
I am totally serious in that if someone is filming me, even in the background, I will be in my rights to do some choice little old lady sign language. Don't fund these egotistical grifters, go watch channels that support animal rescue, they need the YouTube revenue far more than Disney vloggers and you may learn something, especially Fruit Bats and Flying Foxes which have been getting a lot of unfair press recently and you won't be afraid to go and watch them in AK, one of my favourite things to do.
I remember watch a video saying that everything the Trackers get on livestream goes to local charities. But what you read must be right. Tim was probably lying.

Kingoglow

Do you think this video gives good PR to Disney, look at the title and watch it. Guess what, this youtube channel has made a number of videos being just as critical of Disney and they got a free invite to the hotel the other day?

Be honest. It’s not like AJ is heavy handed in criticisms. It is always velvet gloved, ‘oh, this. Might not be the best value for everyone’. One video it’s ‘Disney raised the price of spring rolls in MK to $9.50, and the next video the springs rolls are on the list of must have snacks for any serious parent that loves their kids.

Kingoglow

A good test would be to hold bloggers accountable on their social channels. Ask who paid for the stay? Did Disney pay? Did your company pay? Or did you pay out of your personal savings or credit card. Even the people at the dis, who reportable will be reviewing it next week aren’t paying for it themselves. The company is paying.

Disney Analyst

I don't watch any vloggers but if what was posted upthread is what got them pulled from Disney/Universal media events then it doesn't take much if there is a campaign against somebody. I have no idea if they had other videos that actually had something offensive in them but the one posted above didn't say anything derogatory about anybody or any group.

If we've reached the point where that joke is considered offensive and deserving of punishment then there is no hope for humor about anything.

I don’t want to invalidate anyones feelings towards how those comments or jokes may have made them feel. I am a gay man, it didn’t bother me, I think it was a poorly chosen inside joke between them and some gay friends that they shouldn’t have posted online.

But I also think it’s important to see how people lead their lives from that point onwards. I don’t think they are horrible homophobic people, and I believe their apologies were sincere.

Kingoglow

Yes, I'm kind of wondering what all of this debate is about. Aren't we supposed to be critical of any kind of news or information that we consume?

I'm puzzled from both sides about the defending and slamming of the vloggers. I don't watch them, but does anyone think the Disney Food Blog, for example, is going to make a video telling you not to go to Walt Disney World because it's a rip off? I don't think that's the purpose of a channel like that. They all have their markets and whatever other interests to look after, so that will determine their content. Same with anything. Does anyone really need a vlogger or puff piece on GMA to make up their mind for them on the Starcruiser anyway?
It is just jarring that many people here consider these bloggers ‘the media’ and site social media channels as a news source. Half the country rejects FOX news for less, and the other half rejects NBC and CNN. But oh boy, Debbie’s Instagram is the best source of news you can find.

DisneyCane

I don’t want to invalidate anyones feelings towards how those comments or jokes may have made them feel. I am a gay man, it didn’t bother me, I think it was a poorly chosen inside joke between them and some gay friends that they shouldn’t have posted online.

But I also think it’s important to see how people lead their lives from that point onwards. I don’t think they are horrible homophobic people, and I believe their apologies were sincere.
I'm glad that you commented. Since I'm not gay there was a possibility I was missing something that was offensive. I just took it as silly joke that was along the lines of joking conversations I've had with people who are gay. In most of those conversations it was them who made the joke and me who laughed at it.

Lilofan

It is just jarring that many people here consider these bloggers ‘the media’ and site social media channels as a news source. Half the country rejects FOX news for less, and the other half rejects NBC and CNN. But oh boy, Debbie’s Instagram is the best source of news you can find.
As the late comic George Carlin said " Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups ". How this rings ever so true.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
As the late comic George Carlin said " Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups ". How this rings ever so true.

He also said

CEDF2D0A-674E-4932-9DA6-E163468DD3AC.jpeg

Rings true as well.

mergatroid

Be honest. It’s not like AJ is heavy handed in criticisms. It is always velvet gloved, ‘oh, this. Might not be the best value for everyone’. One video it’s ‘Disney raised the price of spring rolls in MK to $9.50, and the next video the springs rolls are on the list of must have snacks for any serious parent that loves their kids.
Hey I've never said she is and my response is to those who make the claim that they can't EVER criticise Disney. Playing devils advocate I'm sure Disney hate the titles of many of her videos. Giving '7 good reasons not to stay in a Disney hotel' to the public to watch where she explains 7 reasons why it's an advantage to stay offsite isn't really benefiting Disney is it? She may add a comment "But remember, there's that magic of staying in Disney you'll miss" doesn't offset the fact she's making a good case to stay offsite however you spin it.

I know Disney love her because she mostly promotes them well. It's more been triggered by a poster today declaring "Don't believe any vloggers about the Galactic Cruiser, they're all lying" or similar. However many times I say that in my replies though reasonable folks insist on replying as though I'm saying all vloggers are telling the truth or nobody can criticise anything.

What do I know anyhow :D

OrlandoRising

Oh man, I'm too excited about this very niche thread -- journalistic ethics in reporting on Disney and theme parks-- and I'm jumping on a day late.

I've covered a lot of beats as a journalist, from sports to local, state, and national politics, to health care to tracking health disinformation. Theme park reporting is something I do for fun on the side. In all of those beats, no PR staff has been more consistently confrontational, overbearing and unhelpful as those at Disney and Universal.

The last Disney media event I was invited to was the Toy Story Land opening in 2018, back when my site was called Orlando Rising, not Theme Park Tribune. Since I was still relatively new to the beat, I was assigned a Disney PR handler to follow me around the land. Among the multiple red flags that day, she forbid me from photographing how visible Galaxy's Edge construction was from the land -- even though actual guests with no such restrictions would do so just two days later -- and claimed later that this comment was "off the record" (which I never agreed to).

When I asked two Disney spokespersons (who were unnervingly positive, very "Stepford Wives" vibe) if any additional barrier would be added to block views of Galaxy's Edge from Toy Story Land before the public opening, they sternly replied, "We are not talking about that future experience today" and my handler scolded me for asking the question. I explained that I was there as a journalist to document the new land, not to explicitly promote it. I haven't been invited to a Disney event since.

Now, I have nowhere close to the following of @lentesta or others that have been banned, but I suspect for smaller podcasts or sites, it's a lower bar to get blacklisted. In this case, Disney sure didn't seem to like my line of questioning.
I mean, not for nothing, but WDWMagic is banned from media events. I thought that was common knowledge.

I‘m banned specifically because of criticism about prices and DHS that got quoted by the NYT. Between the book and the site, around 250,000 families buy our advice every year before heading to a Disney theme park. If it was a question of “Well, we don’t have room for everyone,” at these events, you‘d never see small podcasts or bloggers.

Here’s Disney blacklisting the LA Times‘ film critics, because of what the LAT business section said about the theme parks: https://slate.com/culture/2017/11/disney-is-blacklisting-los-angeles-times-critics.html

One side effect of that thread was that I got stories from other reporters about how they got cut off, or their editors got calls, from Disney PR about what they wrote.

ETA: I think the Washington Post has been mostly cut off since publishing this in 2015: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ke-disney-world-left-the-middle-class-behind/. They have nothing on Halycon, and they’re the 4th largest newspaper in the country.

ETA: The Hollywood Reporter’s farewell to Disney’s last head of PR refers to her “scorched earth” policy when dealing with negative press: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...enia-much-disney-pr-retire-column-1234985254/
I don't see these practices changing when you've got a former Big Oil spokesperson running PR now. If they're willing to cut off the Washington Post, they'll cut off anybody.

I won't knock every influencer or YouTuber out there, but there are many who seem to either lack any ethical qualms about towing the Disney line or can't afford to risk their access. At the Toy Story Land opening, I saw a group of Disney "mom bloggers" whose only complaints were they weren't getting enough freebies, like getting to bring their kids into the media preview.

This isn’t true. People are consuming news critically - which is particularly important because, as this thread shows, Disney is taking very significant steps to distort the news people consume. It’s a microcosm of much larger, much more destructive societal trends. You and certain other posters are annoyed by this critical analysis because you want to believe and you want others to believe the corporate spin. As WDWs performance declines more and more sharply, the drive by some posters to attack critical analysis will become more and more strident.

And even more fundamentally, if a generally trusted source like Marni or Len shows up with a positive take, people will accept it. You know that, too.

I agree with this. Covering disinformation is my day job, and there are efforts in the political realm to freeze out news outlets that will report fairly and focus more on partisan sources that can be controlled. Obviously what Disney does can seem trivial in comparison, but the company will punish outlets for reporting important stories that reflect negatively on the company, like they did with the LA Times. I'm honestly surprised the Sentinel didn't get punished for its series on the lives of low-wage Disney World workers.

This is happening more with non-Disney parks right now, as I've dealt with some PR people retaliating against sites and publications that reported on their COVID-19 policies in any way that could have been perceived as critical.

By the way, as a big fan of Universal, it’s only fair to note they almost certainly do the same sort of manipulative things as Disney. Because their fan base is significantly smaller and less… fanatical, their dedicated army of vloggers and assorted online ballyhooers far less multitudinous, and the general direction of their parks more positive, it seems less egregious. But Comcast is no more virtuous then Disney.

Absolutely. Disney and Universal PR both use these tactics, though they may not deny access to the same publications. Some other parks can be similarly heavy-handed -- one Six Flags park refuses to even send press releases to me -- but others just want publicity rather than being so concerned with controlling the message.

I am watching Molly’s video from Allears right now. She states at the beginning that she is there for the media event but paid out of pocket to attend next week as a paid guest. She said it was specifically to compare and contrast to see if media is treated differently. So that should be interesting.

That's an interesting way to do things. Perhaps even the fairest solution I've heard of in this instance.

I know one popular set of vloggers and Disney influencers have a policy of not reviewing anything when they were given free access. I don't think that's necessary if they're following similar standards set for movie or TV or book or food critics. Just be upfront about the access you were provided and approach a review from the perspective of "Is this worth the money an actual guest will pay for the experience?" And if you are a journalist, I think it helps readers if you distinguish your review (essentially an opinion piece) from what you consider news reporting.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
Oh man, I'm too excited about this very niche thread -- journalistic ethics in reporting on Disney and theme parks-- and I'm jumping on a day late.

I've covered a lot of beats as a journalist, from sports to local, state, and national politics, to health care to tracking health disinformation. Theme park reporting is something I do for fun on the side. In all of those beats, no PR staff has been more consistently confrontational, overbearing and unhelpful as those at Disney and Universal.

The last Disney media event I was invited to was the Toy Story Land opening in 2018, back when my site was called Orlando Rising, not Theme Park Tribune. Since I was still relatively new to the beat, I was assigned a Disney PR handler to follow me around the land. Among the multiple red flags that day, she forbid me from photographing how visible Galaxy's Edge construction was from the land -- even though actual guests with no such restrictions would do so just two days later -- and claimed later that this comment was "off the record" (which I never agreed to).

When I asked two Disney spokespersons (who were unnervingly positive, very "Stepford Wives" vibe) if any additional barrier would be added to block views of Galaxy's Edge from Toy Story Land before the public opening, they sternly replied, "We are not talking about that future experience today" and my handler scolded me for asking the question. I explained that I was there as a journalist to document the new land, not to explicitly promote it. I haven't been invited to a Disney event since.

Now, I have nowhere close to the following of @lentesta or others that have been banned, but I suspect the smaller your podcasts or site, it's a lower bar to blacklist you. In this case, Disney sure didn't seem to like my line of questioning.

I don't see these practices changing when you've got a former Big Oil spokesperson running PR now. If they're willing to cut off the Washington Post, they'll cut off anybody.

I won't knock every influencer or YouTuber out there, but there are many who seem to either lack any ethical qualms about towing the Disney line or can't afford to risk their access. At the Toy Story Land opening, I saw a group of Disney "mom bloggers" whose only complaints were they weren't getting enough freebies, like getting to bring their kids into the media preview.

I agree with this. Covering disinformation is my day job, and there are efforts in the political realm to freeze out news outlets that will report fairly and focus more on partisan sources that can be controlled. Obviously what Disney does can seem trivial in comparison, but the company will punish outlets for reporting important stories that reflect negatively on the company, like they did with the LA Times. I'm honestly surprised the Sentinel didn't get punished for its series on the lives of low-wage Disney World workers.

This is happening more with non-Disney parks right now, as I've dealt with some PR people retaliating against sites and publications that reported on their COVID-19 policies in any way that could have been perceived as critical.

Absolutely. Disney and Universal PR both use these tactics, though they may not deny access to the same publications. Some other parks can be similarly heavy-handed -- one Six Flags park refuses to even send press releases to me -- but others just want publicity rather than being so concerned with controlling the message.

That's an interesting way to do things. Perhaps even the fairest solution I've heard of in this instance.

I know one popular set of vloggers and Disney influencers have a policy of not reviewing anything when they were given free access. I don't think that's necessary if they're following similar standards set for movie or TV or book or food critics. Just be upfront about the access you were provided and approach a review from the perspective of "Is this worth the money an actual guest will pay for the experience?" And if you are a journalist, I think it helps readers if you distinguish your review (essentially an opinion piece) from what you consider news reporting.

Good post. Though this made me laugh

Now, I have nowhere close to the following of @lentesta or others that have been banned,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom