Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

DLEXP

What is it with this forum and getting so angry at anyone who has a different opinion?
By all means, please state your opinions on the Galactic Starcruiser! We are all waiting! In fact…I can’t wait!! You must possess an incredible wealth of knowledge and the gift of sublime poetry to dazzle us all with your musings! Don’t leave us hanging.

Have a lovely Schmerzday!

No Name

A lot of these people, especially the Trackers, make far more money than you or I do, and their job consists of going to theme parks and other fun places. I mean if that was my career I might also just say positive things to make sure I get invited back. The pressure to be positive is even greater for a lot of smaller creators who really need to go to these events in order to grow.

I also don’t totally blame Disney because it’s a promotional event. The point is to promote the new offering, not really to review it, and they think it works for them. Movies get reviewed by the media, theme park openings get hyped up. There’s no rotten tomatoes for theme park stuff. It’s just the way it works right now, and I don’t love it but I don’t see enough push for a solution.

TP2000

If someone tries to drag a guy through the mud who’s posted daily videos for over a decade and an odd gay joke is all they can come up with, that says a lot about just how clean the Trackers have been.

No kidding. And I say this about Mr. Tracker as a gay (gay, gay, GAY!) man... Especially since Mr. Tracker recently had a spectacular handlebar mustache that in 1979 would have gotten him immediately comped into (with a couple of free drinks thrown in by the besotted bartender) any leather bar in West Hollywood or the Castro back then.

That guy was caught making gay jokes? Uh... I should just be quiet. 😶

And the wheelchair comment was a funny joke that’s not even slightly a problem.

I don't know what his wheelchair joke was, but I'm old and have seen the culture evolve on what's acceptable to say about the handicapped community. I hesitate to condemn anyone from the safety of 2022 for making a joke in 2010, or even 2015, when the culture is moving so fast now. Heck, President Obama went on national TV on The Tonight Show in 2009 and made a rather tasteless joke about "the Special Olympics", and he was forgiven.

I think so long as Mr. Tracker and his organization can now give the appropriate tongue bath to whatever TDO and Burbank is offering today, anything he may have said years ago should be forgiven. God help me if my bar conversations from 1982 were offered up today in transcript form! I'd be sent to life in prison by 2022's Social Media holy angels! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mergatroid

This isn’t true. People are consuming news critically - which is particularly important because, as this thread shows, Disney is taking very significant steps to distort the news people consume. It’s a microcosm of much larger, much more destructive societal trends. You and certain other posters are annoyed by this critical analysis because you want to believe and you want others to believe the corporate spin. As WDWs performance declines more and more sharply, the drive by some posters to attack critical analysis will become more and more strident.

And even more fundamentally, if a generally trusted source like Marni or Len shows up with a positive take, people will accept it. You know that, too.
I agree with you, however. There's a tiny minority on here who go overboard with their criticism to the point it's almost feels like trolling. There are genuinely people who have said "I don't believe ANYTHING vloggers say" and it's those who are being criticised. When you turn the tables on them they usually seem genuinely angered, it's a dead giveaway.

An example would be a poster who spent every day over the last week saying "This is going to be awful, can't wait to see this crash and burn LOL". Then when the videos come out and a few people who have consumed the news critically come out and say "I was a big doubter but this looks fun if not worth $6,000" the same poster goes insane. Constantly posting LMAO and 'Awful' and ridiculing people who like it still trying to 'educate' everyone it's so terrible and implying that even what we see with our own eyes can't be trusted.

Kingoglow

I work tangentially to the PR industry. I say this to remind and inform, not to belittle anyone.
This is how influencer relations work. Events like these are not press conferences; the term 'media event' is a play on the term. The real media is not invited.. Vloggers are not journalists and are not 'the media'.

This is an influencer event. The experience has a dollar dollar value that was comped. There is a contract in place with the influencers. It outlines the experience and the expectations that Disney has in return for the comped experience.

You should not expect a truthful review from the event last week. These people get paid by taking pictures at cupcake parties and selling their audience to Google, Facebook and China, because people love looking at pictures of cupcakes.

Think for yourself. This is not worth the price.

Kingoglow

That's not how it works.

People who make a living off of reviewing things/affiliate links, etc. are required by law to say whether they were compensated or given the product in question for free. Any reviewer that wants to have credibility is HONEST in their reviewing, in order to keep people coming back to them for information.

Disney wants to have their cake and eat it too, and that may work in the short-term, but when people stop listening to the bloggers/vloggers that have been strong-armed...Disney's going to be left with no one to give them any reviews...let alone glowing ones.
This is true. Most people don't read the Youtube show notes that contain the 'i was compensated by Disney' or #ad language.

Kingoglow

A lot of these people, especially the Trackers, make far more money than you or I do, and their job consists of going to theme parks and other fun places. I mean if that was my career I might also just say positive things to make sure I get invited back. The pressure to be positive is even greater for a lot of smaller creators who really need to go to these events in order to grow.

I also don’t totally blame Disney because it’s a promotional event. The point is to promote the new offering, not really to review it, and they think it works for them. Movies get reviewed by the media, theme park openings get hyped up. There’s no rotten tomatoes for theme park stuff. It’s just the way it works right now, and I don’t love it but I don’t see enough push for a solution.
Just don't confuse what they say/post with news, or their honest opinion. Go into it knowing it is an advertisment that you are reading/watching. That is what influencer relations are. Paid media campaigns set in place by corporations. It is the same thing as simply going to Disney Parks Blog or the Disney Youtube page.

lewisc

I wonder how many comp'ed attendees will remember to include the value on their income taxes?
Does Disney issue a 1099? The cost of attending the event, if paid by the attendee, may be tax deductible as a business expense. Probably also deductible if Disney issues 1099.

Answer may be different for different attendees

JoeCamel

Does Disney issue a 1099? The cost of attending the event, if paid by the attendee, may be tax deductible as a business expense. Probably also deductible if Disney issues 1099.

Answer may be different for different attendees
Maybe but whether or not they do does not change the compensation in the eyes of the tax code

lewisc

Lilofan

I was more looking at it the other way, if Disney issues a 1099 you better report it then take whatever deductions are appropriate for you business trip.
My family who works in the banking field have not been on a business trip in two years due the pandemic, even their firms cancelling going to the big computer show in Vegas last month, business trip, what's that?

GCTales

I am watching Molly’s video from Allears right now. She states at the beginning that she is there for the media event but paid out of pocket to attend next week as a paid guest. She said it was specifically to compare and contrast to see if media is treated differently. So that should be interesting.
Yeah, the guys over at the Dis are doing the same thing - they posted a information only video of the compensated trip ( no review / comments - positive or negative) and will post a review of the trip for which they are paying.

Only way to provide an unbiased review.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The only thing that matters is bookings.

You can have a gazillion positive reviews by the bought and paid for social media blogger losers putting expensive lipstick on this pig, but if the number of bookings doesn’t change, then what difference did it make.

When envisioned, the expectation in the Disney echo chamber of numbskulls was that it would be sold out for years. It did not and will not, no matter how much positive spin some YouTube or instagram idiot who got a free stay says about it.

It’s going to be sad to see when the buzz dies down what deplorable condition this thing is in a year from now. I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes seasonal or is even shutdown for an undetermined length “refurb” in the next 12-18 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom