Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
You give vloggers a big bang freebie and you expect positivity in return. What's so wrong with that? If the vloggers want to be in a position to review their experience positively then they should not take the freebies, after all they make enough money from their monetizing vidoes to be able to afford to pay the $6000

Not necessarily. Disney has that “non-commercial filming” clause in the policy. If you look at most things that are critical of Disney - you’ll rarely see park footage unless generic and stock.

Even if they didn’t accept the “freebies” And wanted to report anything critical -Disney could trademark/copyright strike a lot of them If they wanted to. Those videos are being monetized

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Hates the Trackers , yet knows exactly what to post of theirs.
Drawing Motivation GIF

ImperfectPixie

You give vloggers a big bang freebie and you expect positivity in return. What's so wrong with that? If the vloggers want to be in a position to review their experience positively then they should not take the freebies, after all they make enough money from their monetizing vidoes to be able to afford to pay the $6000
That's not how it works.

People who make a living off of reviewing things/affiliate links, etc. are required by law to say whether they were compensated or given the product in question for free. Any reviewer that wants to have credibility is HONEST in their reviewing, in order to keep people coming back to them for information.

Disney wants to have their cake and eat it too, and that may work in the short-term, but when people stop listening to the bloggers/vloggers that have been strong-armed...Disney's going to be left with no one to give them any reviews...let alone glowing ones.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
Hates the Trackers , yet knows exactly what to post of theirs.
Drawing Motivation GIF

I used to really like Tim Tracker. And I’ll still watch some of their stuff today. But IMO they fell into the trap a lot of the vloggers do

Went from. “Here’s what’s happening at Disney” - to - “Here’s what I’m doing today”.

There are still really good ones out there. And some who’ve become a little too consumed with themselves.

I was at opening day of Mardi Gras at Uni a few weeks ago - and they were all there. You’d be surprised at how many of them travel in an entourage. At least I was.

Lilofan

That's not how it works.

People who make a living off of reviewing things/affiliate links, etc. are required by law to say whether they were compensated or given the product in question for free. Any reviewer that wants to have credibility is HONEST in their reviewing, in order to keep people coming back to them for information.

Disney wants to have their cake and eat it too, and that may work in the short-term, but when people stop listening to the bloggers/vloggers that have been strong-armed...Disney's going to be left with no one to give them any reviews...let alone glowing ones.
Wasn't a few years ago, a popular vloggers called the Disney Moms that talked things all good about Disney when guests asked questions ?

ToTBellHop

Expecting positive reviews for free trips is rather common in the field. My wife used to write for a very popular parenting site and this was certainly expected. You weren’t getting invited to another free trip to Sea World for the newest ride if you didn’t write a glowing review of the last one.

I’m looking forward to reviews from paying guests.

Casper Gutman

I mean. A lot of the coverage has been saying “super fun, likely not worth 6K”
This is the “safe” position, and I suspect WDW allows it since they aren’t really targeting guests who worry about silly little things like “affording” it and it lends a sheen of impartiality to bought-and-paid-for media. The “super fun” bit is the key, because that’s the only thing of which the vloggers have exclusive knowledge - anyone can see its expensive. It’s the position some of the most uncritical Disney fans on these boards cling to in order to show they’re totally not biased as they defend every other aspect of the hotel.

In general, people REALLY need to get better at critically evaluating the news they consume.

Anyway, Len’s post pretty definitively establishes what is happening. The only question is how we react to it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The brass knuckles thing. Show me some proof that Disney is forcing people for positive reviews, l have seen lots of the big vloggers talk about negatives before. And I don’t buy the tim tracker being “punished” for negative reviews, his content getting lazy and sloppy was the main reason for being dropped from Disney for a while.
I’m not getting involved in this one, suffice to say there is merit.

And that’s one reason why I’m not getting involved with this one.

Last edited:

DC0703

Not quite so simple. Timing matters with vloggers - if people go to a press event, they can post videos of said event weeks before the vlogger who pays their own way. Being "first" and "in the know" is a large part of succeeding in that realm.

Also, the "big bang freebie" in this case is designed for promotion. That's like saying that when game companies send video games to reviewers in advance of launch, they have the right to automatically get positive scores. Or movie reviewers being allowed into a press screening of a movie. Promotional events and products are a mainstay of the business world - and it usually comes with the knowledge that a positive review is not guaranteed. Having strings attached or a quid pro quo arrangement always looks bad for both the company and the reviewer.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney provides free access/previews and expects positive coverage or else they’ll be replaced by others who are willing to toe the Disney line. Why is that hard for some to believe? These days, they want/they NEED the positive buzz, especially for things like this. They are burning through the nostalgia money at a rapid rate and need another pipeline of consumers before the quarterlies falter. D+ ain’t gonna make up for the parks anytime soon.

Sundown

Original Poster
@MinnieWaffles . First, I see that you don't have too many posts, which I applaud. Because it means you don't spend your life on the internet and live in the real world. Seriously.

In reading the small amount of posts you've made here at WDWMagic I can't help but notice there is a pretty common idea/thread...and that is essentially (paraphrased) 'Get over it, stop 'complaining', Disney is still fine & a good deal'.

You wouldn't have a personal stake in Disney's side of things, would you? Or perhaps a personal vendetta against Len Testa? Perhaps neither, too. But I ask because of your prior positions in your posts and your taunting reply to this thread. Completely your right not to respond of course. But your reply didn't include much context.

MinnieWaffles

@MinnieWaffles . First, I see that you don't have too many posts, which I applaud. Because it means you don't spend your life on the internet and live in the real world. Seriously.

In reading the small amount of posts you've made here at WDWMagic I can't help but notice there is a pretty common idea/thread...and that is essentially (paraphrased) 'Get over it, stop 'complaining', Disney is still fine & a good deal'.

You wouldn't have a personal stake in Disney's side of things, would you? Or perhaps a personal vendetta against Len Testa? Perhaps neither, too. But I ask because of your prior positions in your posts and your taunting reply to this thread. Completely your right not to respond of course. But your reply didn't include much context.

What is it with this forum and getting so angry at anyone who has a different opinion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom