Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Maryssa*

Keep in mind, that AP, DVC, and Disney Visa card holders have been able to register for the past week. They did sell out of the "pre-register" Glass Slipper slots, so I'd guess that maybe 1/3 of those were allocated for the pre-register, out of maybe 5-7k Glass Slipper slots. I am surprised that 10,000 plus people have already registered for the half. (Assuming they did cut it down to 20k or so from the 27k-ish they let in last year)

I have a Disney Visa adn wasn't able to register early at all. Luckily I was refreshing the page before 9am today!

I'm planning on running this half marathon in 2015. Can anyone tell me how far in advance they usually open up registration for the upcoming year's race? Also, how soon after that do the resort areas seem to fill up? I only ask because I was looking around and was pricing out the suites at AoA (I sometimes do this for fun or to get ideas on price ranges during random seasons) and there were no suites available at all for feb 2014 so I'm unsure of when I should time booking and registering for 2015.

Ariel484

I'm planning on running this half marathon in 2015. Can anyone tell me how far in advance they usually open up registration for the upcoming year's race? Also, how soon after that do the resort areas seem to fill up? I only ask because I was looking around and was pricing out the suites at AoA (I sometimes do this for fun or to get ideas on price ranges during random seasons) and there were no suites available at all for feb 2014 so I'm unsure of when I should time booking and registering for 2015.

Registration for 2014's race opened sometime last week, with early registration for AP holders, DVC members and Disney Visa members opening the week before (there may have been more groups that were able to register early...I forget). The races usually sell out quickly in anniversary years (5th, 10th, etc.) and 2015 is not an anniversary year, so while it WILL sell out, you'll probably have a good amount of time to sign up. Keep in mind that the registration price increases over time, so the earlier you sign up, the cheaper it'll be.

Not sure about the resorts...personally, if I have a resort in mind that I really want to stay at, I'll book as soon as I can. If any discounts come out at a later time you can call and have them added to your stay (note that the runDisney package discount is most likely not your cheapest option). The Princess Half has become a big race with a big race weekend, so I'm not surprised that places are booked already.

More info here: http://www.rundisney.com/princess-half-marathon/

dreamfinder

Keep in mind that it takes place during February. So some locations may still be on February break, compounding the lodging issues. Not impossible, but they make it a bit more difficult. This years registration just opened the other week, I'd imagine it would be in a similar time frame. Usually they have a link on the site to sign up for notice of when it will open. And we will almost definitely discuss it here as well.

Not sure about the resorts...personally, if I have a resort in mind that I really want to stay at, I'll book as soon as I can. If any discounts come out at a later time you can call and have them added to your stay (note that the runDisney package discount is most likely not your cheapest option). The Princess Half has become a big race with a big race weekend, so I'm not surprised that places are booked already.
My main concern with this was timing. I read on this thread that some years, the Princess Half Marathon was in March. If I knew it to be consistently on the same weekend I wouldn't mind booking the rooms before registration opens, but it sounds like it jumps around slightly. Or did I misread that?

jrab0616

My main concern with this was timing. I read on this thread that some years, the Princess Half Marathon was in March. If I knew it to be consistently on the same weekend I wouldn't mind booking the rooms before registration opens, but it sounds like it jumps around slightly. Or did I misread that?

Room rates haven't been released for 2014 yet, so even those of us that registered for the race can't book resorts yet. They should be releasing next year's rates soon (usually in July).

Ariel484

I think it was only in March for the first race, maybe the second. It's been the last weekend in February for the past 3 years.

Room rates haven't been released for 2014 yet, so even those of us that registered for the race can't book resorts yet. They should be releasing next year's rates soon (usually in July).
Well that would explain why I keep getting "rooms unavailable" when I look at February 2014. I'm a dope. :oops:

Ariel484

You can book packages through that number, it's the Walt Disney Word Sports Reservation number.

Is that the IRUN number? Just an FYI, when I booked an IRUN package for the Princess Half in 2011 I crunched numbers after the race weekend and found that we would have saved more with a room discount. My mom and brother were also there and they got free dining...so something better might come along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom