Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

Congrats to all the finishers. My DM and DS did it, and seemed to have fun, despite my DM worrying about the heat/humidity.

Also...am I reading this correctly that the expo was at Coronado Springs??? That's insane!

More than likely had an actual paying event at WWoS. Also not completely unprecedented as the second ToT 13k expo was held there. (The first was held back in one of the PI clubs, Motion if I recall correctly) to give you an idea of how much this stuff has grown in the last 5-6 years.

It doesn’t help either when they have Jeff Galloway promoting run-walk-run. My opinion is that it gives a lot of people who have no experience running misconceptions on how difficult it can be to finish even 13.1 miles. If someone can finish the race with that method under the required pace then good for them, but they need to start at the back of the pack. I tried it a few times during my training runs and I don’t know how people can run an entire race like that. It seemed more difficult to continuously start running again than just running through the pain.

The answer seems simple; strictly enforce proof requirements and starting corrals. And no priority placement for whatever reason, i.e. signing up as a Runners World participant.

I don't see an issue with Galloway promoting the run-walk-run method. I do a problem with people being placed in the wrong corrals. If you can run-walk-run your way to a 3:10 marathon, awesome, hop right up here in corral A. But if you are going to run-walk-run your way to a 6 hour finish, please move back to G or H.

The best part of the Half in January was running through the MK parking booths which is 5 or 6 lanes across. It turns into a problem when the crowd gets to the 1 lane roads and small paths in the park.

One of the reasons why I hope they switch back to the old marathon course. Doing that helps to spread out the crowds a bit more (3miles or so more) before they get to the MK.

I'm running my first DLR race this year which I know has a smaller field but the paths in DL are much smaller so I'm interested to see how crowded it feels.

Running the DLR half last year, they did DCA first, so that helped to spread the crowds out some... But I also seem to recall the course missing some of the smaller areas.

From everything I've heard, this was NOT the case at the full marathon. We talked to a couple of people who congratulated us as we wore our medals, and said they were swept, and did not get medals.

It's about time.

Mandyb4

Hi there,
I am new to this board but saw that many people are interested in Run Disney events like me. I thought I would share the blog that my sister and I do. It has many reviews of the Run Disney Events, including the Princess Half and the royal Family 5K's. Check it out and don't forget to say "Hello".
http://fairytalesandfitness.blogspot.com/

Ariel484

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but pricing has been released ahead of the first day of registration (June 11 at noon, one week from tomorrow). A couple of thoughts...

1. I thought I remembered seeing that last year's Princess Half cost started at $140. If so, that's quite an increase.
2. Cindy-themed 5K!
3. Enchanted 10K course description is a bit different from the one during Marathon Weekend: "through Epcot and Epcot resorts area" vs. "through Epcot" for the January weekend. Will be curious to see the 10K maps for both.
4. Predictions...Glass Slipper Challenge will sell out Tuesday, if not Wednesday. 10K will sell out that week too (Princess Half weekend seems to attract a lot of new runners, so I think the 10K will really appeal to a lot of people that aren't ready for a half yet)...5K and half will take a few months since it's not an anniversary year.
5. Has the race retreat always been that expensive?! Yowza!

Disney Princess Half Marathon
  • $160 by August 13, 2013
  • $175 between August 14 and November 19, 2013
  • $190 on or after November 20, 2013

Disney Enchanted 10K
  • $95 by August 13, 2013
  • $110 between August 14 and November 19, 2013
  • $125 on or after November 20, 2013

Glass Slipper Challenge
  • $270 by August 13, 2013
  • $290 between August 14 and November 19, 2013
  • $310 on or after November 20, 2013

Cinderella Royal Family 5K
  • $60 per participant

runDisneyKids Races
  • $15 per Kids Dash participant
  • $30 per One Mile Run participant

Pasta in the Park Party Tickets
  • $52 for Adults (ages 10 and up)
  • $28 for Children (ages 3 – 9)
  • Children Under 3 are free

Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend Breakfast
  • $37.50 for Adults (ages 10 and up)
  • $17.50 for Children (ages 3 – 9)
  • Children Under 3 are free

ChEAR Squad
  • Bronze – No Charge
  • Silver – $39 per package
  • Gold – $65 per package
  • Platinum - $115 per package

Race Retreat
  • $120 per participant

jrab0616

I just looked up the pricing for 2014 too as I knew registration was next week. I can't believe it jumped $20 in price! I was just looking at the pricing two weeks ago and it said it was $140. Oh well, my sister and I are planning to run it as our first major race. We've done 5Ks and are doing a 10K this fall.

simba2

I registered for the Glass Slipper challenge yesterday during the early registration for AP holders! :) The active.com site was totally fubar'd and even tho' I only wanted 1 of each of the 3 event pins, it charged me for *12* pins (not even possible since you can only buy 2 of each one...) so I have an email in to rundisney to get that fixed.

I can't wait. It'll be my second half (I'm doing the Space Coast half in December) and my second 10k but my first "do both in the same weekend, are you nuts" attempt.

Ariel484

Just got an email that registration is open! I'll be really curious to see the percentages later today with AP/DVC registration starting last week and whatnot...

dreamfinder

Just signed up for the glass slipper. Although I doubt they come in men's 10.5. Waiting on the percentage updates to see how fast it goes. I'd expect at least 50% on the slipper by the end of the day.

Maryssa*

I signed up!! For this and the Tinker Bell!! (FYI they offer an early Tink registration on the Princess signup!) Oh man now I'm sickened by nervousness!

dreamfinder

Its crazy how fast its filling!

Keep in mind, that AP, DVC, and Disney Visa card holders have been able to register for the past week. They did sell out of the "pre-register" Glass Slipper slots, so I'd guess that maybe 1/3 of those were allocated for the pre-register, out of maybe 5-7k Glass Slipper slots. I am surprised that 10,000 plus people have already registered for the half. (Assuming they did cut it down to 20k or so from the 27k-ish they let in last year)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I've said before - that glass slipper challenge is perfect for people who want a 2 race challenge, but aren't quite ready for Goofy. 19.3 miles is much more attainable. It doesn't surprise me a bit that it's filling quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom