Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Texas84

From what I read, walkers in corrals A & B and the entire race was so crowded in general you couldn't pass anyone.

Well, that's new. ;)

Why can't they do a minimal qualification, like just having done a race already? Look at me, acting like an elite. :D But seriously, prove you at least did a 10K? The demand for these events is starting to justify it.

Mad Stitch

It doesn’t help either when they have Jeff Galloway promoting run-walk-run. My opinion is that it gives a lot of people who have no experience running misconceptions on how difficult it can be to finish even 13.1 miles. If someone can finish the race with that method under the required pace then good for them, but they need to start at the back of the pack. I tried it a few times during my training runs and I don’t know how people can run an entire race like that. It seemed more difficult to continuously start running again than just running through the pain.

The answer seems simple; strictly enforce proof requirements and starting corrals. And no priority placement for whatever reason, i.e. signing up as a Runners World participant.

Mad Stitch

Why can't they do a minimal qualification, like just having done a race already? Look at me, acting like an elite. :D But seriously, prove you at least did a 10K? The demand for these events is starting to justify it.

Because that's not very Disney like. :p

LindsayLoves

I love the suggestions on facebook to let the walkers start first so they have a better chance to finish before the sweep time.:eek:

People this is a "race". Despite popular belief there are real runners in these things who are concerned about getting a decent time. If you want to walk around for 13.1 miles in costume and stop for pictures just go to the Halloween party or something.

LindsayLoves

It doesn’t help either when they have Jeff Galloway promoting run-walk-run. My opinion is that it gives a lot of people who have no experience running misconceptions on how difficult it can be to finish even 13.1 miles./quote]

To stick up for the Jeff Galloway method - they have pace groups for 3:45 for the full that finished in that time doing the run/walk. They run fast - I was with the 4:15 group for a while until I stopped for photos and despite the fact that I would pass them on their walk portions I would get smoked on their run portions.[/quote]

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I love the suggestions on facebook to let the walkers start first so they have a better chance to finish before the sweep time.:eek:

People this is a "race". Despite popular belief there are real runners in these things who are concerned about getting a decent time. If you want to walk around for 13.1 miles in costume and stop for pictures just go to the Halloween party or something.

Do they even actually sweep anyone in the princess? Wasn't it the half or full last year that had reports of swept participants getting their finishers metals?

Ariel484

The answer seems simple; strictly enforce proof requirements and starting corrals. And no priority placement for whatever reason, i.e. signing up as a Runners World participant.
OMG YES. I was SO MAD when I heard that people were essentially buying better spots. I worked pretty hard last year and was proud to move from D to C, and here I could have just paid $1,000 to join the Runner's World Challenge...:rolleyes:
Yeah, and people that are saying that runDisney isn't being fair to those that were swept (despite the fact that they still got their "finisher" medals...but I digress). They state pretty clearly that people need to keep the minimum pace.

LindsayLoves

Do they even actually sweep anyone in the princess? Wasn't it the half or full last year that had reports of swept participants getting their finishers metals?

According to the reports on facebook they pulled three bus loads of people from the course at mile 8 with the aid of the Florida State Troopers who were there to open the roadway.

Ariel484

Yes, they do sweep, but people still get the medals. On the Facebook page it sounds like a lot of people got swept at Mile 8. Then a few comments down someone said they saw people with medals walking around the parks afterward, congratulated them, and the people responded that they didn't actually finish...soooo why are you wearing a finisher medal?? :mad:

They really need to start calling them "participant medals"...

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Yes, they do sweep, but people still get the medals. On the Facebook page it sounds like a lot of people got swept at Mile 8. Then a few comments down someone said they saw people with medals walking around the parks afterward, congratulated them, and the people responded that they didn't actually finish...soooo why are you wearing a finisher medal?? :mad:

They really need to start calling them "participant medals"...
I could never accept a medal that I didn't earn regardless of the situation. These events seem to be becoming more and more about who can throw the most money at the mouse more than who has the most running ability/training.

The more I hear about the events the less likely I am to ever do one. It just sounds like an expensive, frustrating and potentially unsafe experience.

Mad Stitch

Yes they do; but the drop off point is behind Universe of Energy so they can run the last 0.1, experience crossing the finish line, and collect their medal.

LindsayLoves

The more I hear about the events the less likely I am to ever do one. It just sounds like an expensive, frustrating and potentially unsafe experience.

It seems like a real crapshoot these days. Yes there were some bottlenecks at the full in January but nothing like people are reporting for the half and the Princess half. If these two halfs are a sign of things to come I might agree with you.

crispy

I just got back. This was my second half marathon (I did the Country Music Half in Nashville last year and it was brutal) and my first Disney half marathon. I am a runner/walker with a not-so-great time (I finished in 3 ours and 17 minutes). I was honest about my expected pace and was in corral G which is the second to last corral. I was really shocked to see so many seemingly unprepared people in the corrals ahead of me. The race info specifically said that people who were planning to only walk the race needed to be in corral H. It did seem like a lot of people were really unprepared and didn't realize how difficult a half marathon really is. I would venture that many took more time worrying about their costume than actually preparing for the race.

It was definitely very crowded, but my only other experience was the Country Music with 30K+ runners so I didn't really blink an eye at the crowd until after the race started. There were a few areas that had extreme bottlenecks, and I found that very frustrating. I was particularly annoyed that it took about 5 minutes to get through the Castle because some idiot decided it would be a great time to propose to his girlfriend. I actually made a not-so-nice comment to the cheers of the ladies around me about that. Dude, propose on your own time, I am trying to run a race!

My only other funny I had was when we got on the bus to go to the half. I was in the front seat, and the bus driver turned around and asked me if he needed to turn left or right. Fortunately, we usually drive to Disney and to the parks so I knew my way around pretty well and was able to him get us to the right place. I thought it was pretty funny.

Overall, it was a great experience and I had fun, but I do think that they need to consider limiting the amount of participants or have a a qualification time from a previous race. I also think a lot of runners also underestimate how hot and humid Florida can be even in the winter months. The day of the race was extremely humid, and I think that many racers weren't prepared for it and probably didn't stay hydrated enough. I grew up in the humidity, but if you aren't used to it, it can zap your energy really quickly.

LindsayLoves

I would venture that many took more time worrying about their costume than actually preparing for the race...

...Overall, it was a great experience and I had fun, but I do think that they need to consider limiting the amount of participants or have a a qualification time from a previous race.

I think your first comment hit the nail on the head, while there are tons of wonderful and experienced runners who run in costume and take character photos they also train for the race. The lady who sold me my sparkle skirt in January for the full marathon finished the full in 3:46, wore an awesome costume, stopped for EVERY character stop (she counted 75), and ran the half the day before - she went Goofy.

I like the idea of a qualification time so at least people get some race experience of at least a 10k. This would hopefully help with people 1. learning some race etiquette before the Disney race 2. let them know where they are training wise, of like oh crap I just ran a 10k in 2 hours and I want to do half in under 3.5 I need to step it up.

Ariel484

It was definitely very crowded, but my only other experience was the Country Music with 30K+ runners so I didn't really blink an eye at the crowd until after the race started. There were a few areas that had extreme bottlenecks, and I found that very frustrating.
Yeah, on the Facebook page some people are like, "Haven't you run any other big races? There are bigger races than Disney!" Yes, but those bigger races don't have extremely narrow portions of the course. Traffic really slows down in the parks and on some roads outside of the parks when they only give runners one lane to run in. I'd guess that isn't a problem in, say, Chicago or New York. I feel like the Disney courses just cannot handle as many runners as some other places can.
My only other funny I had was when we got on the bus to go to the half. I was in the front seat, and the bus driver turned around and asked me if he needed to turn left or right. Fortunately, we usually drive to Disney and to the parks so I knew my way around pretty well and was able to him get us to the right place. I thought it was pretty funny.
:eek: Wow, glad you knew what to tell him! I never drive around property and would not have known what to say. I know they bring in extra drivers to handle the load but you'd think they would train them a little better. I have heard horror stories of drivers getting lost on the way to the races. I think I'd have a heart attack if I paid all that money to register/travel and didn't get to the start on time due to the bus getting lost.
Overall, it was a great experience and I had fun, but I do think that they need to consider limiting the amount of participants or have a a qualification time from a previous race. I also think a lot of runners also underestimate how hot and humid Florida can be even in the winter months. The day of the race was extremely humid, and I think that many racers weren't prepared for it and probably didn't stay hydrated enough. I grew up in the humidity, but if you aren't used to it, it can zap your energy really quickly.
I agree with all of this! :) Glad you had fun, and congrats!

Sumrdog

This was my first Disney race and I had so much fun!

That being said it was wicked crowded, I must have spent half the race running in the grass to get around groups of women walking 4-5 abreast down the center of the road. That kind of got on my nerves a bit. The pack never thinned out for me. I was way back in corral G, I started with many walkers, first timers and many of them were quite nervous about being swept. I don't know what happened to them.

I was very satisfied with my time of 2:58 considering all the stops I made for photos. It was hot but overcast so it didn't bother me too much. My big complaint was just that I felt like I couldn't really get going sometimes because I was constantly weaving through walkers.

I can't believe people who got swept got medals. Who would wear one if they didn't finish?

My other big complaint was the expo what a mess that was! Bib pickup was simple with no line, but the t-shirt race bag was a different line that stretched over 12acres ( that may be an exaggeration ). But it was long!

But as I said despite the crowding it was a great time and I am pretty sure that I am going to do the full marathon in January, I have only done one full marathon, so I think it's time for another. I love my Princess Half medal. I want to add to the collection!

Katherine

I can't believe people who got swept got medals. Who would wear one if they didn't finish?

I think this is what shocks me more. I understand why Disney gives them the medal, but I would NEVER wear it at the parks after like I was celebrating. I would be too embarrassed.

[
Yeah, on the Facebook page some people are like, "Haven't you run any other big races? There are bigger races than Disney!" Yes, but those bigger races don't have extremely narrow portions of the course. Traffic really slows down in the parks and on some roads outside of the parks when they only give runners one lane to run in. I'd guess that isn't a problem in, say, Chicago or New York. I feel like the Disney courses just cannot handle as many runners as some other places can.

I think this is the main problem, in NYC you are running on 3-4 lanes roads the whole way I'm suspecting which is great for a crowd that size. The best part of the Half in January was running through the MK parking booths which is 5 or 6 lanes across. It turns into a problem when the crowd gets to the 1 lane roads and small paths in the park. No beuno.

I'm running my first DLR race this year which I know has a smaller field but the paths in DL are much smaller so I'm interested to see how crowded it feels.

Glad everyone had a good time over all and crispy glad you knew your way around property and get everyone to the start line!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
From everything I've heard, this was NOT the case at the full marathon. We talked to a couple of people who congratulated us as we wore our medals, and said they were swept, and did not get medals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom