Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Brer Josh

Just started running - am doing the 5k / 10 k / Half in February...
HOW DO PEOPLE THINK THIS IS FUN?

Anyway, what I really want to know is, what do people think about when running?
I totally just think about quitting running the whole time... Does that pass?

dreamfinder

It is fun. People think golf and Nascar are fun.....

Try looking into a book like Running with the Mind of Meditation or Zen and the Art of Running.

JillC LI

LOL. We've all been there. First starting out in running is much harder than increasing from a short base to running longer distances. It WILL get easier, although I will be honest that not ALL runs are fun. Sometimes the fun comes afterwards in reveling in your achievement of just having gotten out the door to run despite being tired/busy/sore/too hot/too cold/etc...... In these early stages of trying not to think about how hard it is, perhaps you want to try listening to a little music? If you're having a particularly rough time, break your run down into smaller pieces and tell yourself, "I just have to get to that corner." And then "I just have to get to that tree." Until suddenly you have finished the whole thing. Or you could try to go to a "happy place"(Disney perhaps??????) in your mind to help pass the time until it gets easier.

Ariel484

LOL. We've all been there. First starting out in running is much harder than increasing from a short base to running longer distances. It WILL get easier, although I will be honest that not ALL runs are fun. Sometimes the fun comes afterwards in reveling in your achievement of just having gotten out the door to run despite being tired/busy/sore/too hot/too cold/etc...... In these early stages of trying not to think about how hard it is, perhaps you want to try listening to a little music? If you're having a particularly rough time, break your run down into smaller pieces and tell yourself, "I just have to get to that corner." And then "I just have to get to that tree." Until suddenly you have finished the whole thing. Or you could try to go to a "happy place"(Disney perhaps??????) in your mind to help pass the time until it gets easier.
I agree with Jill...it WILL get easier!

I totally used to do the thing where I'd pick a landmark of sorts to run to (and still do occasionally)...setting small goals for yourself can make the run as a whole seem less intimidating. I also used to listen to music on every single run, until eventually I realized that I wouldn't even remember what song had just played because I was thinking about other things...what I needed to get at the grocery store later, what I wanted to get done around the house that coming weekend, my upcoming Disney trip...etc. :D Now I only listen to music on my long runs (Disney Parks music loops).

Have you tried doing a run/walk plan? That might be a good place to start. Something like walk 2 minutes/walk 1 minute until you're done might not make it seem as bad.

And since you're training for Disney races, look up runDisney race reports for some motivation and so that you can get a visual of what you have to look forward to in February. :D

imagination30

I agree with all the above .. its the competiveness .. and atmosphere.. its like you go in to beast Mode during a race , compared to your training runs.. or weekly runs! , so its kinda like a lifestyle now!

Sumrdog

Ha! I like your honesty. Some runs just aren't fun as others have said. But as a mom who works full time and gets very little time to myself, I love my runs! My brain wanders all over the place and no one interrupts me...when I am struggling on a long run, I try to imagine where I would be in my Disney Marathon at that point on the course, for example between miles 5-6 you travel through the Magic Kingdom, 12-13 Animal Kingdom. So I motivate myself by remembering how much fun it is to run through the parks and trying to think about what I would be passing at that point.
Give it time and it will hopefully get easier...Unless you are on a treadmill in which case its pure torture, at least in my opinion.

Brer Josh

Right, so I've been running a few weeks now and noticing I get shin splints at the start which then goes away after the first 20 minutes. So guessing the best thing to do is go for a 20 minute run before each of the races to really warm up.

Looks like the Beach Club Resort has some running tracks which should prove useful, as well as a gym.

Training for this is going well, averaging 30 minutes of running and 50 minutes of cardio in total each day. Should be in a good position by the time this comes around in February.

ChristaH

I try to imagine where I would be in my Disney Marathon at that point on the course.

I did this on my long run yesterday. At about the 10 mile mark, I crossed a bridge over a little stream...it had maybe a 2' rise to it, but I imagined it was the overpass and I was conquering it! It made me laugh.

I listen to music and while I'm like @Ariel484 and forget what I just listened to, occasionally just the right motivational song comes on at just the right moment and it helps me through the moment. I listen to audiobooks, but I can only do that through the first 7 or 8 miles. After that, I'm too tired to concentrate and keep up with the story. And I know this is totally geeky, but do math problems in my head. The running app on my phone is set to do everything in km so I am constantly doing the conversion back and forth between km and miles to know how far I've gone or how much more I have to go.

And I definitely do the landmark thing. That's why I'd much rather run in my neighborhood than in a new place. Knowing my landmarks helps me pace myself.

Good luck, Josh! You've come to the right place for info and encouragement.

JillC LI

I listen to audiobooks, but I can only do that through the first 7 or 8 miles. After that, I'm too tired to concentrate and keep up with the story. And I know this is totally geeky, but do math problems in my head. The running app on my phone is set to do everything in km so I am constantly doing the conversion back and forth between km and miles to know how far I've gone or how much more I have to go.

Then I'm a fellow geek. I do math problems in my head too. I also listened to books 2-7 of the Harry Potter series on audio while I ran. Since I was a latecomer to the series, it lasted me for ages, and Iw as able to do them all in a row nonstop. For those that don't know, the reader won a Grammy for reading this series - he is absolutely amazing and has a different voice for each of over 100 minor characters.

Sumrdog

I did this on my long run yesterday. At about the 10 mile mark, I crossed a bridge over a little stream...it had maybe a 2' rise to it, but I imagined it was the overpass and I was conquering it! It made me laugh.

I listen to music and while I'm like @Ariel484 and forget what I just listened to, occasionally just the right motivational song comes on at just the right moment and it helps me through the moment. I listen to audiobooks, but I can only do that through the first 7 or 8 miles. After that, I'm too tired to concentrate and keep up with the story. And I know this is totally geeky, but do math problems in my head. The running app on my phone is set to do everything in km so I am constantly doing the conversion back and forth between km and miles to know how far I've gone or how much more I have to go.

And I definitely do the landmark thing. That's why I'd much rather run in my neighborhood than in a new place. Knowing my landmarks helps me pace myself.

Good luck, Josh! You've come to the right place for info and encouragement.
Another geek here! I am constantly calculating, pace and time left. I also work on math story problems that are in the paper.

I need to try some books on tape!

Maru07

Hey you guys, I'm fairly new around this blog, mostly a lurker but now I do have an important question. I couldn't register for the Princess Half Marathon and my best friend is doing it. I tried going through a Charity Group but since I'm from Venezuela and we don't have access to US Dollars, I haven't been able to make a donation or get someone to donate for me.. So.. The question is.. Only registered runners can do the race? Meaning if I don't have a number on I won't be able to run with her? Thanks in advance for your response.. Much appreciated..

Ariel484

Hey you guys, I'm fairly new around this blog, mostly a lurker but now I do have an important question. I couldn't register for the Princess Half Marathon and my best friend is doing it. I tried going through a Charity Group but since I'm from Venezuela and we don't have access to US Dollars, I haven't been able to make a donation or get someone to donate for me.. So.. The question is.. Only registered runners can do the race? Meaning if I don't have a number on I won't be able to run with her? Thanks in advance for your response.. Much appreciated..
For many reason, you have to have a number. Sorry!

Even though you won't be able to run with her, you can still help her out by spectating during the race! :)

dreamfinder

If you didn't register, your only options would be through a charity, or a travel group. No idea if either still has availability at this late time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom