Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I had both of my knees replaced when I was 45, double checked with my orthopedic and he says no running. Started my walking training program yesterday.

You should be in great shape to finish the 10k and it’s good that you checked with your doctor before starting your training plan. And I hope you didn’t take my post the wrong way - I was merely trying to be encouraging as so often I hear people say “I could never run X distance“ (myself included until my first RunDisney race) and then I started a couch to 5K program and realized I actually could 😉. And though I have completed 5 half marathons, 10k is usually the longest distance I run non-stop; anything longer and I use the run/walk method.

Word of advice since you asked about themes: if you choose to dress in theme, make sure whatever it is comfortable enough for the time/distance/weather and train a bit in it. I recently ran a 10k in a t-shirt that is in my regular running rotation but the day of the race was hotter and while the shirt would have been fine for 5K, at twice the time/distance it rubbed my arm quite a bit and the skin on my arm where the seam was ended up quite raw.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You should be in great shape to finish the 10k and it’s good that you checked with your doctor before starting your training plan. And I hope you didn’t take my post the wrong way - I was merely trying to be encouraging as so often I hear people say “I could never run X distance“ (myself included until my first RunDisney race) and then I started a couch to 5K program and realized I actually could 😉. And though I have completed 5 half marathons, 10k is usually the longest distance I run non-stop; anything longer and I use the run/walk method.

Word of advice since you asked about themes: if you choose to dress in theme, make sure whatever it is comfortable enough for the time/distance/weather and train a bit in it. I recently ran a 10k in a t-shirt that is in my regular running rotation but the day of the race was hotter and while the shirt would have been fine for 5K, at twice the time/distance it rubbed my arm quite a bit and the skin on my arm where the seam was ended up quite raw.

All excellent advice.

I would also add, @NeedMoreMickey, that as the weather in February is unpredictable, think about something to wear to keep warm while waiting in the corrals that you can toss once you warm up. Like a sweatshirt purchased from Goodwill. runDisney will pick up all the discarded clothing left by runners on the side of the course, clean it, and donate to local shelters.

I've run Princess weekends that were in the 30s. And ones in the 80s, with humidity in that range. And ones in the rain. A good idea I picked up from other runners - those cheap rain ponchos can keep you warm in the corral while waiting for the race to start. And keep you dry if it's raining.

Oh, and buy Body Glide. Use it liberally on areas prone to chafing, including your feet and toes. Trust me, you'll appreciate not having raw skin.

NeedMoreMickey

Thanks for the encouragement. I really wanted to run the race but at least I'll be able to enjoy the experience of being in a Disney race. I didn't bother to look at the races after my knee replacements in 2005 because I thought everyone had to "run" the race. Wish I would have looked into it sooner. It's taken me years to talk one of my family members into joining me. In February my niece decided on a whim to try to get into the 1/2, so 3 weeks before the race she booked everything and I came with her for company. After seeing how much fun she had I knew it was time for me to cross it off my bucket list. Wanted to do the 5k spring in April but it was sold out. So far only participated in the virtual races.

NeedMoreMickey

All excellent advice.

I would also add, @NeedMoreMickey, that as the weather in February is unpredictable, think about something to wear to keep warm while waiting in the corrals that you can toss once you warm up. Like a sweatshirt purchased from Goodwill. runDisney will pick up all the discarded clothing left by runners on the side of the course, clean it, and donate to local shelters.

I've run Princess weekends that were in the 30s. And ones in the 80s, with humidity in that range. And ones in the rain. A good idea I picked up from other runners - those cheap rain ponchos can keep you warm in the corral while waiting for the race to start. And keep you dry if it's raining.

Oh, and buy Body Glide. Use it liberally on areas prone to chafing, including your feet and toes. Trust me, you'll appreciate not having raw skin.
Thanks for the tips. Been going to WDW since 1983 and Body Glide is always in the backpack. Came down with my niece in Feb and she had done her research, had her throw away jacket with her. I'll need to remind her about the cheap rain poncho.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks for the tips. Been going to WDW since 1983 and Body Glide is always in the backpack. Came down with my niece in Feb and she had done her research, had her throw away jacket with her. I'll need to remind her about the cheap rain poncho.

You will see runners wearing black plastic trash bags with holes cut out fur their arms and head for that reason.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Themes are out

FB_IMG_1654625454477.jpg

FB_IMG_1654625461176.jpg

FB_IMG_1654625467461.jpg

FB_IMG_1654625486814.jpg

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Good luck to everyone registering today for in-person Princess 2022. I’ll be watching this one closely. I’m going to sit this one out, but I will be registering for both the challenge and 5K virtually.

I am also planning on registering for Springtime Surprise again next year in person. Depending on the themes and distances of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom