Disney's Polynesian Resort

NEL

I will be visiting WDW on May 11-15 with my son and wife and we will be staying at the Polynesian. This will be our 1st stay at this resort and therefore we dont have much info on it. I booked the Lua for dinner and also ohana. Is there anything we should now about this resort. Anything special we should not miss? Any recomendation will be greatly appreciated.:)

DisneyPrincess5

Yes there is something very important you should know and please brace yourself...

It is amazing and you will never want to stay elsewhere ever again!!!!!

It's my favorite resort but can't stay on our upcoming trip due to cost but we will miss it dearly, although were visiting for an Ohana ADR. Its absolutely gorgeous, monorail is so fun and convenient, short walk to the TTC, location is our fave, and the food is great. Captain Cooks is the quick service eatery-take advantage of it! Good food in a snap.

Also, consider your location. We always request to stay in Raratonga because it's right next door to the Great Ceremonial House which contains all eateries, shops and the monorail. That equates to no long walks to your room when you're exhausted, but that's just us.

Enjoy your stay!!

Upvote 0

NEL

Original Poster
Yes there is something very important you should know and please brace yourself...

It's my favorite resort but can't stay on our upcoming trip due to cost but we will miss it dearly, although were visiting for an Ohana ADR. Its absolutely gorgeous, monorail is so fun and convenient, short walk to the TTC, location is our fave, and the food is great. Captain Cooks is the quick service eatery-take advantage of it! Good food in a snap.

Also, consider your location. We always request to stay in Raratonga because it's right next door to the Great Ceremonial House which contains all eateries, shops and the monorail. That equates to no long walks to your room when you're exhausted, but that's just us.

Enjoy your stay!!

I am glad you love it. I hope we have a great experience as well. Is there anything special that they have at the hotel. For example, I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and they have a special tour of the hotel, a flag family every morning, and it has a geyser that erupts ever hour. Is there anything that I should not miss at the Poly.

Thanks for all your info ! :)

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Definitely ask for a complimentary upgrade, we had booked standard view and one phonecall brought us a room with marina/lagoon view in the Fiji Longhouse.
And do not miss Wishes from the beach of the Polynesian! It is a complete new experience, breathtaking, looks much more impressive than in most MK-locations.
In the evening with crowded monorails back to the TTC (there is no bus to the Poly from the MK for obvious reasons) think about taking the boat (not the ferry!) back to the hotel instead, it only services the Grand Floridian and the Poly, so normally you are at least as fast with the boat than you are by monorail. Of course you can also take the boat to the MK as well, and actually you should do that at least once during daytime and once during nighttime because from there, on the Seven Seas Lagoon, is the best photo spot for the Poly.

And of course don't miss TONGA TOAST for breakfast at Captain Cooks or Kona Café. It's a famous specialty of the resort, one Tonga Toast is already a full breakfast. Also try soft swirl vanilla/pineapple at Cpt. Cooks.

At least on one evening take a few drinks at Tambu Lounge on the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House, a Mai Tai is the perfect cocktail in this Polynesian setting and the cocktails are of good quality.

Upvote 0

WDWGoof07

Here! Here! :sohappy: We feel the same way.

Get a lounge chair (and a nice cocktail!) on the beach for great views of the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes.

The Luau and 'Ohana are both excellent. If you can manage it now or on a future trip, I also highly recommend the Kona Cafe. The miso-glazed mahi-mahi is the best fish I've ever had, and, of course, they have Tonga Toast!

Captain Cook's is my favorite quick-service joint on property. They have my favorite sandwich in the world, the Aloha Pork, as well as Tonga Toast and Dole Whip machines :D.

There is a torch-lighting ceremony Tue-Sat evenings in front of the Great Ceremonial House with a drummer and fire dancer. I don't remember exactly when they do it, but you can ask at the front desk.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell 8

My aunt and uncle have been going to disney every single year since disney opened in 1971 and every single year they have stayed at poly in the same building in the same room (kinda weird but whatever). They always stay in the Tuvalu building on the third floor, the room at the very end of the hallway to the right. They have a great view of the castle and the fireworks. You HAVE to watch the fireworks and the electrical water parade from the beach one night. I like to grab a nice pina colada and sit with my feet in the sand. We love the main pool with the water slide (im 22 and still go down it). Its great having the monorail, and you can always walk to the TTC. We LOVE Ohana's, especially for breakfast, the juice is AMAZING. You will have a GREAT time!

Upvote 0

tnemgif

I think the Polynesian beach is the absolute best place to watch Wishes in WDW. They pipe the music to the beach so you can enjoy the show sans throngs of people.
While jogging last year, I also ended up on a nice little hill overlooking the water, while the water pageant began playing. I can't tell you exactly where this hill is, but if you walk the path along the water, it should suddenly stop on the top of a quiet, grassy hill surrounded by palm trees!

Upvote 0

rkelly42

Poly is our favorite resort as well, being able to sit out on the beach and watch wishes or EWP it fantastic. Also Kona cafe is a must as it the Tonga Toast, a cant miss meal.

Upvote 0

DaGoof00

Don't miss the torch lighting ceremony outside the main entrance on weekends! Poly is a great choice! I go over to visit each trip, and NEVER miss 'Ohana!!!! :slurp:

Upvote 0

Jon_in_NC

Phone call upgrade?

Definitely ask for a complimentary upgrade, we had booked standard view and one phonecall brought us a room with marina/lagoon view in the Fiji Longhouse.

I had always heard it was usually only really possible to try for an upgrade as you were checking in. That the best you could do by calling was to request a building or possibly a specific room. How were you able to get an upgrade by calling, if I may ask? I'm staying at the Polynesian in late September and would give it a try myself. It never hurts to ask, right?

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Poly is an amazing resort. The grounds are beautiful and it is so relaxing. Grab a seat by the beach and watch the fireworks and electric water parade. Kona Cafe is by far the best restaurant there, and the sushi is pretty good. Luau is fun, but the food not so good. Ohanas, nothing spectacular. You can check out the resort and food reviws on my trip report shown below.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

I had always heard it was usually only really possible to try for an upgrade as you were checking in. That the best you could do by calling was to request a building or possibly a specific room. How were you able to get an upgrade by calling, if I may ask? I'm staying at the Polynesian in late September and would give it a try myself. It never hurts to ask, right?

Right. I heard so too, before I went to the World in August last year. And I called from the Pop Century (Our first 6 days were at the Pop) two days before we moved to the Poly to request one of the longhouses that were recommended to me. I spoke to a female CM and it seems, that this was of some importance because she asked me what kind of view I would prefer, right from the beginning. I told her, that I only booked standard view but she said it's no problem, I should only tell her what I would prefer and she booked us into the Fiji, third floor.

Upvote 0

Jon_in_NC

Right. I heard so too, before I went to the World in August last year. And I called from the Pop Century (Our first 6 days were at the Pop) two days before we moved to the Poly to request one of the longhouses that were recommended to me. I spoke to a female CM and it seems, that this was of some importance because she asked me what kind of view I would prefer, right from the beginning. I told her, that I only booked standard view but she said it's no problem, I should only tell her what I would prefer and she booked us into the Fiji, third floor.

That's great! I'm glad it worked so well for you. I'm guessing you called the Poly directly and not the generic reservations number?

I've read on some websites that you could still get a good view of the lagoon/beach from even a Garden view room, so if asking for an upgrade doesn't work I'll try to get one of those "lagoon from a garden" view rooms.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom