Disney's Moana

Magenta Panther

A enjoyable hour + experience, yes, but not something that stays with you once leaving the theater.
A find most of Disney's recent animated features to be of a similar nature.
Pretty to look at, but not a lot of depth to make it really resonate or become a memorable movie experience.
It's just kind of 'there'...up on the screen....and not effecting you on a emotional level.

Yeah...I totally get that.

I liked Big Hero 6, I liked Wreck-It-Ralph, and Moana looks pretty, but...but I don't know why it is, but no CGI film from Disney OR Pixar has moved me the way that, say, the scene in Lady and the Tramp did where Jock and Trusty track down the wagon taking Tramp away (Trusty's howls still give me chills), not to mention the scene in Snow White where all of the dwarfs are grieving over Snow's death, or the scene in Pinocchio when Lampwick turns into a donkey, and of course the scenes in other films featuring Bambi's mother and Mufasa's death and when Belle first meets the Beast...those connected with me very powerfully. In contrast, the only scenes created by the modern Disney that came close to really getting to me in a comparable way are...well, honestly, I can't think of any. Seriously. Now, Pixar has come close with a couple of scenes in the Toy Story movies, namely Jesse's song and when Andy gave his toys away, but even then, I could feel the fingers on the emotional buttons, if you know what I mean; I think those emotional scenes were less artfully done compared to the 2D Disney films I mentioned.

I don't know why CGI-animated emotional scenes just don't get to me the way 2D-animated emotional scenes can. And not just Disney 2D. Miyazaki's Spirited Away made me tear up a little too. Perhaps there's a basic emotional disconnect between audiences and CGI. Maybe CGI still seems a little cold, a little Uncanny Valley-ish, even if the characters are animals instead of humans. Both CGI and 2D are done by hand in a fashion, of course, but maybe there's something more visceral and primal in animation that comes to life by an artist pushing a pencil across paper. Hard to really explain. Anyway, to quote Figment's Friend, your mileage may vary.

brb1006

I recently saw this with a friend who expressed an interest in seeing 'Moana'.
If she had not suggested seeing it I probably would not have bothered to in a theater.
I love animation, and typically insist on a in-theater showing, but recent Disney films have not really struck my interest enough to motivate me to do so as I used to.
This was one of them, but I went with her for the fun of doing something together.
Went in spoiler free and open minded.
I knew very little about it pre-release.

I was pleasantly surprised.
A enjoyable film for the most part, and very pretty to look at.
Beautiful color palette for the backgrounds and appealing scenery.
The songs were good, and the story was engaging enough to hold your attention.
A few elements were quite nicely done.

With that being said, despite how pretty it all looks and the cutting edge CGI tech being used, the film was not all that memorable or emotionally engaging to me.
A enjoyable hour + experience, yes, but not something that stays with you once leaving the theater.
A find most of Disney's recent animated features to be of a similar nature.
Pretty to look at, but not a lot of depth to make it really resonate or become a memorable movie experience.
It's just kind of 'there'...up on the screen....and not effecting you on a emotional level.
You mileage may vary, of course.

It was nice however, and worth seeing at least once.
Of all the recent Disney animated films to come out over the last few years, this is the sole one I would not mind seeing again.
The story is interesting and some of the visual images are beautifully done.

-

But Zootopia

brb1006

Wow, that's surprising. I agree with you that I felt no connection to recent releases (Wreck-It Ralph was okay but Frozen and Big Hero 6 were absolute disasters for me). But I couldn't disagree more about Moana. This was, in my opinion, the strongest Walt Disney Feature Animation film in 22 years, and better than most Pixar films along the way too. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the
tweet joke
, which felt out of place and unnecessarily dated the fim.
I remember mainly seeing Wreck It Ralph because of the Dr Eggman and Bowser cameos mainly since I'm a huge gaming fan.

doctornick

It's good, but it strikes me as bog standard "Hero's Journey" stuff. Excellently made bog standard stuff, mind you, but still. Granted, after some truly brilliant and innovative scripts like Zootopia or Big Hero 6, WDAS set themselves a pretty high bar to clear.

Big Hero 6 was innovative? I thought it was pretty boilerplate and unremarkable. I mean, it was a perfectly fine film but there was little special about it.

Zootopia, though, yeah just fantastic.

Back on topic, though: Best Animated film: Zootopia or Moana? Or something else like Finding Dory or Secret Life of Pets?

Matt_Black

Big Hero 6 was innovative?

For WDAS, yes. I don't think there has ever been a Disney Animated feature* that dealt with grief and mourning the way BH6 did. Most films, yes, there's death, but it's something that happens and isn't a huge deal for the characters.

*Okay, MAYBE The Lion King, but even then, it was handled in a very different manner.

Matt_Black

Yeah...I totally get that.

I liked Big Hero 6, I liked Wreck-It-Ralph, and Moana looks pretty, but...but I don't know why it is, but no CGI film from Disney OR Pixar has moved me the way that, say, the scene in Lady and the Tramp did where Jock and Trusty track down the wagon taking Tramp away (Trusty's howls still give me chills), not to mention the scene in Snow White where all of the dwarfs are grieving over Snow's death, or the scene in Pinocchio when Lampwick turns into a donkey, and of course the scenes in other films featuring Bambi's mother and Mufasa's death and when Belle first meets the Beast...those connected with me very powerfully. In contrast, the only scenes created by the modern Disney that came close to really getting to me in a comparable way are...well, honestly, I can't think of any. Seriously. Now, Pixar has come close with a couple of scenes in the Toy Story movies, namely Jesse's song and when Andy gave his toys away, but even then, I could feel the fingers on the emotional buttons, if you know what I mean; I think those emotional scenes were less artfully done compared to the 2D Disney films I mentioned.

... Not even the beginning of UP?!? Monster! :p;)

Figments Friend

Wow, that's surprising. I agree with you that I felt no connection to recent releases (Wreck-It Ralph was okay but Frozen and Big Hero 6 were absolute disasters for me). But I couldn't disagree more about Moana. This was, in my opinion, the strongest Walt Disney Feature Animation film in 22 years, and better than most Pixar films along the way too. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the
tweet joke
, which felt out of place and unnecessarily dated the fim.

I agree with you regarding the reference made in your 'spoiler' observation.
'Moana' was indeed better then what I have seen lately, but not something I would put on the shelf with destined 'classic' material.

I think the last Disney animated film I saw in a theater that really grabbed me and became a favorite was 'Brother Bear' in the early 2000s.
'Treasure Planet' I also really enjoyed, but both of those films seem to be rarely mentioned on favorites lists with most fans.
So tastes are different, but yes...I agree that 'Moana' was definitely better then releases made in recent years.
'Frozen', 'Tangled', and various Pixar films did'nt make any Impact on me at all.
All were 'one and dones', but I would see 'Moana' again if the opportunity came my way.

-

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I agree with you regarding the reference made in your 'spoiler' observation.
'Moana' was indeed better then what I have seen lately, but not something I would put on the shelf with destined 'classic' material.

I think the last Disney animated film I saw in a theater that really grabbed me and became a favorite was 'Brother Bear' in the early 2000s.
'Treasure Planet' I also really enjoyed, but both of those films seem to be rarely mentioned on favorites lists with most fans.
So tastes are different, but yes...I agree that 'Moana' was definitely better then releases made in recent years.
'Frozen', 'Tangled', and various Pixar films did'nt make any Impact on me at all.
All were 'one and dones', but I would see 'Moana' again if the opportunity came my way.

-
I really liked Brother Bear as well.

Princess Leia

Okay, first things first- I haven't seen Moana yet. I really want to, I just haven't had the chance to see it.
Secondly, the Golden Globe nominations came out today.
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
    • Moana
    • My Life as a Zucchini
    • Sing!
    • Zootopia
Moana is also nominated for best original song ('How Far I'll Go'). I'm surprised that Finding Dory didn't make the cut.

Animaniac93-98

Saw Moana in a nearly empty UltraAVX theatre on Friday, which in itself was a treat. No kids, just 5 women over 40, lol.

I wasn't expecting much going in, but found myself liking it more than I thought I would. The second time she sings "How Far I'll Go" was my favourite part, and I can see why it is for so many other people. The only part I thought was weak was the crab's song. For a villain to get the worst one isn't typical for Disney and this could have easily been dropped.

This may have been the most beautiful looking CGI aimated movie ever made, but it's also the fourth formula princess musical in the last seven years. Zootopia was a more clever film in its world building and social commentary and I think it shows that Disney animation is now capable of breaking from its mold and doing more interesting things.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
SING! must be really good.
Saw Moana in a nearly empty UltraAVX theatre on Friday, which in itself was a treat. No kids, just 5 women over 40, lol.

I wasn't expecting much going in, but found myself liking it more than I thought I would. The second time she sings "How Far I'll Go" was my favourite part, and I can see why it is for so many other people. The only part I thought was weak was the crab's song. For a villain to get the worst one isn't typical for Disney and this could have easily been dropped.

This may have been the most beautiful looking CGI aimated movie ever made, but it's also the fourth formula princess musical in the last seven years. Zootopia was a more clever film in its world building and social commentary and I think it shows that Disney animation is now capable of breaking from its mold and doing more interesting things.
The problem with the crab too is he isn't even THE VILLIAN he's a minor baddie on the way to the Big Bad.

ElreTigo

The only part I thought was weak was the crab's song. For a villain to get the worst one isn't typical for Disney and this could have easily been dropped.
I sorta saw the crab as more of a "Crazy Chef" from Little Mermaid type of character rather than an actual villain. Just one of those random, thrown-in characters & scenes which really contributes nothing to the main underlying plot, but adds a little humor and minor drama. I think that song was trying to be more of a 'Les Poissons' rather than a memorable 'Be Prepared' or 'Friends On The Other Side.'

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I'd say Shiny serves more of a purpose. Those songs listed are just filler- pad out the film with cute stuff. Shiny actually serves to set up character development.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'd say Shiny serves more of a purpose. Those songs listed are just filler- pad out the film with cute stuff. Shiny actually serves to set up character development.

Indeed. Tomatoa uses the song to dispirit Moana and Maui. Do they have what it takes to defeat a minor boss to get the key to the final goal (the Hook) and, at the same time, the perseverance of a hero on a quest to withstand emotional and psychological impediments? It starts the process of Moana being the one to save and heal Maui.

Plus, hey, it's a battle with a song! That pluses it over the Kokomorra battle. And the song was a nice palate cleanser so that all the songs weren't of the same musical genre. They travel to what amounts to a different dimension and get far out music.

I think it works perfectly.

(Plus, sung by a New Zealander with native Polynesian ancestry.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom