Disney's Moana

disney4life2008

I am highly impressed with the lack of this animation at the parks. After frozen, every park was frozen, i was so fed up. I am elated the magic kingdom has no visible signs unless i was looking for it

Suspirian

Yeah but the animals were not the focus. The culture however was! I fully believe it belongs as an expansion at the mk

Id love to see that! Wish we had more space in Disneyland's Adventureland. I can still see maybe a small addition to DAK in the same way that UP is implemented. Maybe a redone Discovery River Boat type attraction?

doctornick

The Laika films for whatever reason haven't generated much traction with the Academy. It's odd since they seem to be exactly right up their alley in terms of more "sophisticated" films that aren't as popular, which is what tends to win many categories. The Animation category, though, has through it's short existence gone to popular films that are at least watchable for adults (i.e. not kids only movies like Angry Birds) -- which has basically meant Pixar or Disney. I still think this will go to one of the Disney features.

Princess Leia

Okay, after a brief delay, I finally saw this tonight. I'd give it a B+/A- (for the record I would give Zootopia a B). I thought that there were some scenes that dragged a little, and that there could have been a couple more songs (Another Maui song would have been appreciated).

I didn't enjoy this as much as Princess & the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, or Frozen, but I liked it more than Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.

BrianLo

I am highly impressed with the lack of this animation at the parks. After frozen, every park was frozen, i was so fed up. I am elated the magic kingdom has no visible signs unless i was looking for it

Actually, a major point of contention on the forums was how Frozen had pretty much zero presence in the parks in 2013.

"Disney got caught with their pants down. Disney has no faith in their own products." was pretty much the mantra people were spinning. That changed quickly when the phenomenon became obvious once 2014 was kicking off.

Cheap stop-gaps led to slightly better ones in the West followed by quick layovers in the East and a slow-burn E-ticket plans back West.

This movie isn't financially going Frozen bonkers, so I would expect it to take a more normal course in the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney's been great in releasing the songs, first as just audio, and now they've been releasing music videos..

You're Welcome

Shiny

We Know the Way

How Far I'll Go

How Far I'll Go (in 24 languages)

I'm waiting for Where You Are to be in released as a video. Until then, we have the audio...

Sped2424

Original Poster
give it time Frozen didn't hit the parks until the following year. Obviously no Frozen Summer Fun, but I can see Moana showing up in different ways. Especially at the Polynesian.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Original Poster
As for reviews Moana as a plot works better than Frozen,Tangled,Brave and Princess and the Frog imo (If we are doing princess revival films). The music varies but overall is an excellent soundtrack with the worst songs if you can even say that just being good rather than excellent. NOW where this film falls short is that while it is a good film it doesn't innovate that much in compairison to films like Zootopia and yes even the film you are all sick of Frozen. Say what you want but the focus on the true love between the sisters and the third act twist of Prince charming gone bad is exactly what generated so much buzz around the film, that and of course the showstopper let it go. The point is those films had something newish to say more or less and Moana doesn't necessarily have that.

Zootopia imo will win the oscar due to it's message and how far WDAS truly went with it. As I have said Moana is a good movie and one certainly of the best fairy tale films yet from the company in this new revival. That being said it plays it too safe with almost everything they did structure wise, nothing again really "new" there to find in this film so that it's refreshing among the rest. However that's really not that big a deal in the long run and I am sure it's a soon to be classic. A title which the film does deserve.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The point is those films had something newish to say more or less and Moana doesn't necessarily have that.

I think that Moana did have something new to say for a 'princess movie' in the complete absence of a love interest. The more modern ones started to turn over the damsel meets a hero/prince motif. Tiana was self-sufficient to begin with and wasn't the prince-hunter that her friend was. Rapunzel was a proactive adventurer. Merida didn't want a love interest, but it was expected of her. Anna's love-at-first-sight was made fun of and proved to be dangerous. Elsa had no romantic love interest, but was hardly a proactive hero.

And then comes Moana. No love interest. The expectation of her family and tribe is not marriage, but assuming the mantle of being the chief (with no care about her gender). Moana then becomes the proactive protagonist hero. She's the one who saves Maui both physically from Tomatoa and psychologically from his abandonment issues. And she saves the world.

Moana could have been replaced by a prince-adventurer without a single change in the plot. And that's what make Moana the first truly post-modern princess (even as she demurs from the title of princess).

Afterthought Edit: Mulan gets props for bucking the gender stereotypes of her culture and becoming a hero... but, there's a bit of a love interest and a society with rigid gender norms. Moana gets props for a culture that didn't care about gender with regard to her being chief.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I think that Moana did have something new to say for a 'princess movie' in the complete absence of a love interest. The more modern ones started to turn over the damsel meets a hero/prince motif. Tiana was self-sufficient to begin with and wasn't the prince-hunter that her friend was. Rapunzel was a proactive adventurer. Merida didn't want a love interest, but it was expected of her. Anna's love-at-first-sight was made fun of and proved to be dangerous. Elsa had no romantic love interest, but was hardly a proactive hero.

And then comes Moana. No love interest. The expectation of her family and tribe is not marriage, but assuming the mantle of being the chief (with no care about her gender). Moana then becomes the proactive protagonist hero. She's the one who saves Maui both physically from Tomatoa and psychologically from his abandonment issues. And she saves the world.

Moana could have been replaced by a prince-adventurer without a single change in the plot. And that's what make Moana the first truly post-modern princess (even as she demurs from the title of princess).

I also liked how Moana showed the Princess character actually do the job of a leader when it came to thinks like giving advice and tasks for the people of her kingdom.

Sped2424

Original Poster

Afterthought Edit: Mulan gets props for bucking the gender stereotypes of her culture and becoming a hero... but, there's a bit of a love interest and a society with rigid gender norms. Moana gets props for a culture that didn't care about gender with regard to her being chief.
Elsa and Merida both have no love interests and Moana not having a love interest wasn't really apart of the plot or story. It just was and that is great but again don't see how it's that innovative there. I'm not saying the film is bad or not great Its just very familiar. Especially for Musker and Clements.

Princess Leia

I think it's possible that Disney splits the categories that it's up for at the Oscars this year. Best Animated could go to Zootopia, while Best Original Song goes to "How Far I'll Go" from Moana... Which would complete Lin Manuel Miranda's incredibly short quest to get his EGOT.

That's one of the things that disappointed me about the movie, actually. Despite the great songwriters, there wasn't a huge stand out hit, like Let It Go, Colors of the Wind, Part of Your World, or anything from The Lion King & Beauty and the Beast. The songs were great, but while "How Far I'll Go", "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" were fun, they don't hold a candle to some of the other soundtracks.

ElreTigo

That's one of the things that disappointed me about the movie, actually. Despite the great songwriters, there wasn't a huge stand out hit, like Let It Go, Colors of the Wind, Part of Your World, or anything from The Lion King & Beauty and the Beast. The songs were great, but while "How Far I'll Go", "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" were fun, they don't hold a candle to some of the other soundtracks.
I agree that "Shiny" and "You're Welcome" were forgettable at best. But there were some songs in this movie which I personally think are some of the most beautiful in the entire Disney library of music.

For instance, "I am Moana / Song of the Ancestors". I thought that song, and that entire scene in the film were remarkably beautiful and well executed. Also the background music / chorus as she's discovering the ships in the cave towards the beginning, "You Know Who You Are" toward the end, and of course "We Know The Way". It wasn't a perfect soundtrack, but it won a place on top of my list.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I think it's possible that Disney splits the categories that it's up for at the Oscars this year. Best Animated could go to Zootopia, while Best Original Song goes to "How Far I'll Go" from Moana... Which would complete Lin Manuel Miranda's incredibly short quest to get his EGOT.

IF it were any other year it would be a shoe in for best original song....then la la land happened :/ lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom