News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

jlsHouston

I have more of a comment than a question. What is it going to look like outside the front of the hotel. Every day. With people coming and going at all hours with individual rideshare vehicles. Let’s take away the magical express, and the hundred or so people that were on there, they he will have their own vehicles coming as they arrive, and leaving when they leave. I know from experience out front at beach club it’s a very small turnaround! on a normal day with the buses arriving dropping off people and then picking them up a different bus picking up. It’s messy. Also let’s not forget that right outside the hotel doors again beach club, is the American Airlines baggage check which the line is always very long! Now what. This, now, in my head, I can envision a logistical nightmare.
LOL the Gaylord maybe. This was a really good post by the way.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's still missing the point. It's not about "moving goal posts" or about finding ways to get there. It's about another thing Dr. Evil is taking away. I'm sick and tired of the amount of people who apologize for everything Dr. Evil does. Covid is the excuse for the are using for taking away things they have wanted to take away for years.
There's a lot of truth in this. I've been visiting WDW since 1984, and I can honestly say our most recent visits have been the most enjoyable, but only because we like the up-charge events and DVC makes it affordable to book rooms for our kids and their families. Saying so has earned me the labels of Disney Defender and Pixie Duster.

But I'm constantly on the lookout for the death spiral. Cut experiences to the point that fewer people come, forcing them to increase prices, which in turn leads to even fewer people, etc. Many of the decisions Disney is making now (even FP+) favor older guests with greater disposable income. We are not their future. I can honestly say that when my family was younger, we probably would have been deterred by a daily resort parking fee.

The issue isn't whether something can be done. Of course it's possible to get from the airport to WDW without DME.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
While I'm sad about the Magic Express going away, there is part of me that looks forward to what may be next with the train or other transportation WDW is cooking up.

With Disney Resort Rooms not being ready til 4pm (usually)... The last several years I've taken the Magic Express to my resort only to then take a bus to a Disney Park. If Disney will take care of my bags from the Train station or from the airport, that frees me up to go directly to a park from Disney Springs.

Disstevefan1

I am tired of Disney Gouging me. Their actions tell me that they think I am stupid, and will be back. Much like a certian King in Hamilton.
Disney has hurt me in other areas as well, that I am not ready to talk about on here yet. *( I realize how strange that sounds, you just have to go with me here. I am not a crybaby, trust me) Our family has been one of the most devoted, brand addicted, fans you will ever find. I find that I am borderline bitter over the choices the company is making (starting with laying off firing equity, and progressing to the termination of friends behind the scenes in imagineering and guest services, and now telling me to find another ride from the airport- but still pay a butt load for our hotel anyway). Will I be back? Yes. But not spending a week at a time that equates to $6000 plus. I will stay off property, visit friends, eat at Chevy's for old time sake (until that gets destroyed for a highway exit ramp that may or may not be necessary anymore) and buy a one day ticket ($135 or so?)( if I am in the mood) for a spin around the ole park.
There needs to be more like you! Money is the only thing TWDC will react to....

seabreezept813

No doubt people will still go and if you still get enough enjoyment out of it regardless of the cost or removal of features like DME, that's certainly fine.

I can only speak for myself, though, and say that I came home from my last WDW trip having had a good time but not in a hurry to go back. It just felt that everything was a bit too expensive for what we were getting (e.g. food, drinks, etc) and not as enjoyable as it once was with having to book fast passes, deal with shorter/earlier hours, etc. I have the money to go, but I don't think I'd spend it there versus other destinations at this point in time.

Obviously we're all different and plenty of other people are still happily going. Still, I just wonder how much they can continue to raise prices and how many more features they can strip away before more people start coming home feeling like the price and hassle involved isn't really worth it anymore.
People who mourn the sunset of DME don't like that they're not getting free transportation to a Disney resort hotel anymore. Sure, that is understandable and that sucks.

BUT... too many of them having been posting to the effect of "now there's no way to get there!!!"

And when we tell them about other ways to transport, they say, "But that's not free!!!"

But, they didn't complain about how it's going to cost them, they complained that there was no alternative. They keep changing the goal post of their complaint.

Nobody who talked about other modes of transport said they were free. They all cost money.

Then when we finally are careful to say, "There are other options, and unfortunately, they aren't free" in order to stop the goal post shift of "but it's not free!!", then we get, "everyone will rent a car and they'll be no parking and the global warming!!!" Another goal post shift and hysteria.

In the end:
1. There will be other ways to get from the airport to WDW.​
2. There will be a cost.​
3. It may not be as efficient and hassle free (although, I've read plenty of complaints of MDE about how long it took to travel and to get their luggage... all anecdotal, but so are reports of how great it was).​

4. It will not lead to an environmental catastrophe.​
My issue is it won’t be convenient or free. Flying to Orlando is expensive as it is..add another 150 to get to our hotel and it’s just ugly. If we need to do it, the money will come out of somewhere else—less souvenirs, no add ons, one less day or something like that. I assume most families don’t just have plenty of extra money to rid themselves of on an already expensive trip. Could we afford it? Probably. But as a fairly fiscally responsible person, I get to a point where I say enough is enough. Ubers are great, they were very easy to use when my husband and I went to Fort Lauderdale on our own. But you can’t use them with kids who require car seats. Plus so much luggage. This seems like such a bizarre move, that part of me is still wondering if Disney has a planned replacement. But who knows.

Chi84

Premium Member
My issue is it won’t be convenient or free. Flying to Orlando is expensive as it is..add another 150 to get to our hotel and it’s just ugly. If we need to do it, the money will come out of somewhere else—less souvenirs, no add ons, one less day or something like that. I assume most families don’t just have plenty of extra money to rid themselves of on an already expensive trip. Could we afford it? Probably. But as a fairly fiscally responsible person, I get to a point where I say enough is enough. Ubers are great, they were very easy to use when my husband and I went to Fort Lauderdale on our own. But you can’t use them with kids who require car seats. Plus so much luggage. This seems like such a bizarre move, that part of me is still wondering if Disney has a planned replacement. But who knows.
Right now very few people are visiting Disney. They'll wait until people freak out to the maximum extent before announcing any type of replacement. By that time, people will be thrilled to have a paid replacement.

bcoachable

I'm kinda with you. It started with the MDE investment making the vacation more digital. Then came the price increases for everything and a zillion extra magical paid for experiences. I went from maintaining an annual pass and making 2-3 long visits per year and another 3-4 short stays to once in 2019 and yah I had to visit in 2020 to see what Disney apocalypse was going to look like and then recently did another 4 days this month to meet up with a kids/grandkids.
Pandemic has given TWDC a marvelous opportunity to give less and still charge. And that is exactly what we are seeing in the name of social distancing and preventing the spread. No fireworks, no parades, no special events, can't get a hold of anyone for a specialty cake, limited food openings, schedule a QS meal, limited menu items available, limited intrapark transportation for a while there, no valet parking ( yes I like that I am old and lazy ) no FastPass, no EMH, and now bye bye to ME and EMH not coming back the way it was. Less and less magic. I even think the music stopped in MK on Jan 7th. And yes the layoffs and furloughs, probably the employees with the most seniority too so when you wonder about those old Disney traditions and not a Cast member around with a memory of them you'll know why.
I'm sure Disney will do just fine in spite of how I scale back my vacation dollars with them. And at least I have the memories. But yes my park ninja days are over for awhile, will still do a few resort visits here and there but Disney not getting the 5 figures I was handing over annually for the magic that is just really limited these days and fixing to be eliminated
Kindred Spirits- Unite!

HarperRose

I have more of a comment than a question. What is it going to look like outside the front of the hotel. Every day. With people coming and going at all hours with individual rideshare vehicles. Let’s take away the magical express, and the hundred or so people that were on there, they he will have their own vehicles coming as they arrive, and leaving when they leave. I know from experience out front at beach club it’s a very small turnaround! on a normal day with the buses arriving dropping off people and then picking them up a different bus picking up. It’s messy. Also let’s not forget that right outside the hotel doors again beach club, is the American Airlines baggage check which the line is always very long! Now what. This, now, in my head, I can envision a logistical nightmare.
It will be a logistical nightmare, both at MCO and at the resorts. Anyone who has ever left a large scale event like a concert or sporting event knows what a nightmare it is around the rideshare area.

It will give a bad impression to guests before they even leave the airport and then trying to find your Uber or Lyft amongst 15 or 20 other people at the resort entrance? No thanks.

I don't think Disney cares. Their focus has shifted from being all about the guest experience to as much money as they can possibly rake in.

UNCgolf

One thing that seems clear is that Disney is not aiming to attract people based on a value proposition. They seem to have taken the position that they can ask what they want, offer what they want, and customers can take it or leave it because there will always be someone willing to pay. Maybe they're right: perhaps those who will have the money for a WDW vacation post-pandemic will be those who aren't so sensitive to value?

The other issue is that it's possible the value actually increases in that scenario (relatively speaking). If the prices are high enough and the economy is bad enough that attendance levels drop significantly, then people may decide it's worth the increased price because of the lack of crowds. Able to ride everything without long waits, eat when you want, etc.

It's possible for Disney to find a sweet spot where they can charge very high prices with lowered attendance and come out ahead -- at least on admission. I'm not sure the numbers would work overall with a commensurate decrease in shopping and dining from lowered attendance.

Last edited:

Buck Wheelie

It will be a logistical nightmare, both at MCO and at the resorts. Anyone who has ever left a large scale event like a concert or sporting event knows what a nightmare it is around the rideshare area.

It will give a bad impression to guests before they even leave the airport and then trying to find your Uber or Lyft amongst 15 or 20 other people at the resort entrance? No thanks.

I don't think Disney cares. Their focus has shifted from being all about the guest experience to as much money as they can possibly rake in.
I'm more worried about going home than I am arriving. Resort airline check in was a huge benefit in my opinion. Now we have to get our luggage to airport then go through the airline check in before I get to wait in a long TSA line. It was nice getting off the bus and going right to TSA with just our carry on luggage.

bcoachable

There’s quite the seismic shift across the company happening at the moment. I’m not sure how the endgame will look but I’m not looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out to say the least.
Time to man the lifeboats
(Edit to say: if their are any left...)

yensidtlaw1969

There’s quite the seismic shift across the company happening at the moment. I’m not sure how the endgame will look but I’m not looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out to say the least.
1610821110722.png

mattpeto

People who mourn the sunset of DME don't like that they're not getting free transportation to a Disney resort hotel anymore. Sure, that is understandable and that sucks.

BUT... too many of them having been posting to the effect of "now there's no way to get there!!!"

And when we tell them about other ways to transport, they say, "But that's not free!!!"

But, they didn't complain about how it's going to cost them, they complained that there was no alternative. They keep changing the goal post of their complaint.

Nobody who talked about other modes of transport said they were free. They all cost money.

Then when we finally are careful to say, "There are other options, and unfortunately, they aren't free" in order to stop the goal post shift of "but it's not free!!", then we get, "everyone will rent a car and they'll be no parking and the global warming!!!" Another goal post shift and hysteria.

In the end:
1. There will be other ways to get from the airport to WDW.​
2. There will be a cost.​
3. It may not be as efficient and hassle free (although, I've read plenty of complaints of MDE about how long it took to travel and to get their luggage... all anecdotal, but so are reports of how great it was).​

4. It will not lead to an environmental catastrophe.​
This is very sound logic here.

We're just bitter about it, but really hope Disney adds a bolt-on service and something somewhat reasonable just to make it easy for us who don't want to rent a car, look at 3rd party services, rent a Uber, etc.

That's where my head is...

legwand77

It's still missing the point. It's not about "moving goal posts" or about finding ways to get there. It's about another thing Dr. Evil is taking away. I'm sick and tired of the amount of people who apologize for everything Dr. Evil does. Covid is the excuse for the are using for taking away things they have wanted to take away for years.
They have also added many many things, people continue to leave off that part. I know of one huge transportation option that was added for no additional cost. Oh they also have added new rides, lands.

Jrb1979

They have also added many many things, people continue to leave off that part. I know of one huge transportation option that was added for no additional cost. Oh they also have added new rides, lands.
All before Covid. Since they have done more cutting and delaying of things then adding things. I'm sorry the gondolas don't reach MCO so it doesn't fix ME

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Dr. Evil really has his fans. The amount people that are ok with all these cuts is crazy.
People been providing their own transport from the airport to Disney for decades, and will do so again once DME is gone. This isn't the end of Disneyworld, folks.

Savvy travelers understand that transfers are just part of the travel game. So what if you have to leave that M1 Abrams stroller at home because nobody's gonna move it from baggage claim to your room for you?

You don't get to whine unless you've got photos of your kids sleeping on the floor at baggage claim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom