News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Lilofan

So how is there always a parking problem at the Beach Club and Contemporary / Bay Lake? Even at KIdani it was hard to find a parking space sometimes. Those are just the ones I know of. 3 times in a single week (albeit over New Year) at Bay Lake we ended up parking either in the valet parking or in the CM parking.

I suspect I know why. They really need to clamp down even tougher on non-resort guests parking there all day.
Kidani does not have a parking issue. You just have to walk quite a bit if you park in the farthest parking lots. When I was there there was a Ferrari and Lamborghini parked next to each other in one of the distant lots. Looks like those owners don't trust a valet to drive their car.

nickys

Premium Member
Kidani does not have a parking issue. You just have to walk quite a bit if you park in the farthest parking lots. When I was there there was a Ferrari and Lamborghini parked next to each other in one of the distant lots. Looks like those owners don't trust a valet to drive their car.
I would have thought most people would want to park as near as possible to where their room is though, or at least the elevator nearest to their room. If your room is at the end, wouldn’t you want to park nearer to your room? Around the Rafiki elevator was always busy and we often had to go further out. Maybe people want to park close to the lobby first and move their car later? 🙅‍♀️

Brad Bishop

Granted, I didn't read through 49 pages of this thread but I'm guessing no one else has brought this up:

Remember when Disney was touting how "green" they were being by charging for resort parking? "You shouldn't rent a car! You should arrive by bus! We want to encourage our customers to limit CO2 emissions and, in that vein, we'll be adding resort fee, one of which is for parking if you bring your car! Green! Green! Green! If you look up at those low-lying clouds you'll clearly see our virtue signal. It, too, is green."

NOW: "We're getting rid of the Magical Express. Figure out how to get here. Rent a car if you like. OH, we charge for parking at all of our resorts but that's been in place for a while so it should be no surprise."

HarperRose

How many took mears buses before dme? Please raise your hand...

How many regularly take mears buses when traveling? Please raise your other hand

Even tho they can make a replacement service close to DME... its still not Disney to most people. I expect many will rent or uber/lyft and just be grumpy about the higher costs... to some point a percentage will start checking out those off property locations.

Expect many hotels to start trying to up their shuttle game...
I did not visit WDW before DME existed.

Buck Wheelie

Granted, I didn't read through 49 pages of this thread but I'm guessing no one else has brought this up:

Remember when Disney was touting how "green" they were being by charging for resort parking? "You shouldn't rent a car! You should arrive by bus! We want to encourage our customers to limit CO2 emissions and, in that vein, we'll be adding resort fee, one of which is for parking if you bring your car! Green! Green! Green! If you look up at those low-lying clouds you'll clearly see our virtue signal. It, too, is green."

NOW: "We're getting rid of the Magical Express. Figure out how to get here. Rent a car if you like. OH, we charge for parking at all of our resorts but that's been in place for a while so it should be no surprise."
Disney is now touting the new "green" which is money!

seabreezept813

This, I guess, is the great unknown. Presumably the economy is not going to be fantastic for at least a few more years to come. I guess we don't know whether Disney has a big enough market that is willing to pay high prices for whatever the company offers or if a WDW vacation becomes an unjustifiable expense for a noticeable percentage of their audience. I could foresee a scenario where the spiralling costs, stripping away of benefits, increasing hassle, and ever-rising attendance of recent years comes to seem like the last days of Rome followed by a crash, or equally that they find the masses ever willing to pay whatever Disney asks.

One thing that seems clear is that Disney is not aiming to attract people based on a value proposition. They seem to have taken the position that they can ask what they want, offer what they want, and customers can take it or leave it because there will always be someone willing to pay. Maybe they're right: perhaps those who will have the money for a WDW vacation post-pandemic will be those who aren't so sensitive to value?
Certainly it seems quite risky, because this time I’m not sure they’re placing the right bets. Especially with DME it’s not just about value/cost, but about stress. My family has never been beach vacationers because we’ve always been able to do that as a day trip or luckily visit family by the beach. But with the stress of this pandemic, we could really use a vacation that feels like a pause, time out, or escape—however you want to phrase it. And my husband and I are essential workers—truck driver and teacher—but we’re not dealing with the most traumatic elements of this time like first responders or health workers. We’re still totally spent. Because in addition to the pandemic we’ve had other life stresses like I assume most people have—sickness in the family, etc. And being careful during this time means we’ve had no reprieve—I am just dying for a date night or girls lunch to have 2 hours away from my toddler. Disney could continue to do things that make your trip less stressful, but with taking away things like FP, DME, dining plans, they could also hit people’s psychological breaking points. If the vacation becomes more work and stress than the fun that is promised, I think that Disney loses value in a huge way. And this is coming from someone who likes to tour military style and has fun making touring plans and adjusting them 1000x before a trip.

CLBMN

A couple of thoughts about this - IMHO
  • The Disney bubble burst many years ago
  • Last time on DME (2019) the bus was only 1/3 full and it took almost 3 hours to get to my resort. Not a value of my time.
  • Disney has always been a premium vacation and not really considered a 'value', Disney is expensive no matter what you choose.
  • WDW has a pretty big adult only following so if the numbers don't show a profit, looking out for families only probably doesn't add up for them.
  • Any current changes Disney makes is because of the ongoing Pandemic, really.
  • It makes me feel bad/sad that people are taking these things personally. We are all super fans on these types of Boards and can get manic at times.
  • There are many things at this time that are cutting back or are more expensive - groceries is my example.
We are still going because we like Disney. We go once a year.
It will be a different visit but nothing to make us not go. We will still enjoy it.

If the discontinuation of the DME is your line in the sand to stay off site or not go, do what is best for you.
There are many families/people who save for years to go to Disney as a once in a life time trip. I would believe they just put any expenses in their budget.

Take care all and stay safe! :happy:

DisneyDebRob

You're missing the point. What's so hard to understand that a free service is being taken away. Now people have to pay to get to WDW. Doesn't matter that it was there before 2005.

Dr. Evil really has his fans. The amount people that are ok with all these cuts is crazy.
The problem is, as many have said already,ME was never free.. we all paid for it. It all was added into the cost of our hotel stay. Don’t be fooled. The problem is that rates won’t go down now that it’s on the way out. So rates stay high and another thing gone.

Sir_Cliff

We are still going because we like Disney. We go once a year.
It will be a different visit but nothing to make us not go. We will still enjoy it.

If the discontinuation of the DME is your line in the sand to stay off site or not go, do what is best for you.
There are many families/people who save for years to go to Disney as a once in a life time trip. I would believe they just put any expenses in their budget.
No doubt people will still go and if you still get enough enjoyment out of it regardless of the cost or removal of features like DME, that's certainly fine.

I can only speak for myself, though, and say that I came home from my last WDW trip having had a good time but not in a hurry to go back. It just felt that everything was a bit too expensive for what we were getting (e.g. food, drinks, etc) and not as enjoyable as it once was with having to book fast passes, deal with shorter/earlier hours, etc. I have the money to go, but I don't think I'd spend it there versus other destinations at this point in time.

Obviously we're all different and plenty of other people are still happily going. Still, I just wonder how much they can continue to raise prices and how many more features they can strip away before more people start coming home feeling like the price and hassle involved isn't really worth it anymore.

CLBMN

No doubt people will still go and if you still get enough enjoyment out of it regardless of the cost or removal of features like DME, that's certainly fine.

I can only speak for myself, though, and say that I came home from my last WDW trip having had a good time but not in a hurry to go back. It just felt that everything was a bit too expensive for what we were getting (e.g. food, drinks, etc) and not as enjoyable as it once was with having to book fast passes, deal with shorter/earlier hours, etc. I have the money to go, but I don't think I'd spend it there versus other destinations at this point in time.

Obviously we're all different and plenty of other people are still happily going. Still, I just wonder how much they can continue to raise prices and how many more features they can strip away before more people start coming home feeling like the price and hassle involved isn't really worth it anymore.
Yes! It is a subjective decision, especially if money is the subject.
IMHO not everyone does Disney the same especially if it is a return trip(s) vs a first visit.
Pretty much our visit to WDW is different every year so we do not get upset about that; we know we will be back.

Again, things have always been expensive at Disney; if we need to rearrange money spending we will do that, but that's just us. We do however, like staying at a Disney resort.
It is how we wish to spend our entertainment dollar. We certainly have paid more for less on other trips and for other entertainment. JMHO :happy:

bcoachable

Always has to be someone bringing "facts" to break up the complaining session.

There's also the previously stated plans by Mears to continue to provide bus service for all those people worried they won't be able to find a place to park.
Will they reimburse families the extra costs that were added into their magical stay on property that had been tacked in to pay for the ME to begin with?
@Tigerdad- this wasn’t directed just to you, it is to all that say “just get an Uber- problem solved”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Will they reimburse families the extra costs that were added into their magical stay on property that had been tacked in to pay for the ME to begin with?
@Tigerdad- this wasn’t directed just to you, it is to all that say “just get an Uber- problem solved”
People who mourn the sunset of DME don't like that they're not getting free transportation to a Disney resort hotel anymore. Sure, that is understandable and that sucks.

BUT... too many of them having been posting to the effect of "now there's no way to get there!!!"

And when we tell them about other ways to transport, they say, "But that's not free!!!"

But, they didn't complain about how it's going to cost them, they complained that there was no alternative. They keep changing the goal post of their complaint.

Nobody who talked about other modes of transport said they were free. They all cost money.

Then when we finally are careful to say, "There are other options, and unfortunately, they aren't free" in order to stop the goal post shift of "but it's not free!!", then we get, "everyone will rent a car and they'll be no parking and the global warming!!!" Another goal post shift and hysteria.

In the end:
1. There will be other ways to get from the airport to WDW.​
2. There will be a cost.​
3. It may not be as efficient and hassle free (although, I've read plenty of complaints of MDE about how long it took to travel and to get their luggage... all anecdotal, but so are reports of how great it was).​

4. It will not lead to an environmental catastrophe.​

Lilofan

People who mourn the sunset of DME don't like that they're not getting free transportation to a Disney resort hotel anymore. Sure, that is understandable and that sucks.

BUT... too many of them having been posting to the effect of "now there's no way to get there!!!"

And when we tell them about other ways to transport, they say, "But that's not free!!!"

But, they didn't complain about how it's going to cost them, they complained that there was no alternative. They keep changing the goal post of their complaint.

Nobody who talked about other modes of transport said they were free. They all cost money.

Then when we finally are careful to say, "There are other options, and unfortunately, they aren't free" in order to stop the goal post shift of "but it's not free!!", then we get, "everyone will rent a car and they'll be no parking and the global warming!!!" Another goal post shift and hysteria.

In the end:
3. It may not be as efficient and hassle free (although, I've read plenty of complaints of MDE about how long it took to travel and to get their luggage... all anecdotal, but so are reports of how great it was).​

We survived without FastPass, cellphones and internet also and AC also.

Something that makes no sense...
(Unless they are replacing it with some kinda of new "Paid" on demand service.. like Uber)

I mean, really, this makes ZERO sense for a few reasons.. Not the least of which is Disney wanted to keep people on the property, not encourage them to rent car's.
I have more of a comment than a question. What is it going to look like outside the front of the hotel. Every day. With people coming and going at all hours with individual rideshare vehicles. Let’s take away the magical express, and the hundred or so people that were on there, they he will have their own vehicles coming as they arrive, and leaving when they leave. I know from experience out front at beach club it’s a very small turnaround! on a normal day with the buses arriving dropping off people and then picking them up a different bus picking up. It’s messy. Also let’s not forget that right outside the hotel doors again beach club, is the American Airlines baggage check which the line is always very long! Now what. This, now, in my head, I can envision a logistical nightmare.

Jrb1979

In the end:

It's still missing the point. It's not about "moving goal posts" or about finding ways to get there. It's about another thing Dr. Evil is taking away. I'm sick and tired of the amount of people who apologize for everything Dr. Evil does. Covid is the excuse for the are using for taking away things they have wanted to take away for years.

Buck Wheelie

• Last time on DME (2019) the bus was only 1/3 full and it took almost 3 hours to get to my resort. Not a value of my time.
I'm sorry your experience was bad. We have used ME more times than I can remember. Never have we had a bad experience or had more than a couple empty seats on the bus. Most times we were at our resort less than an hour after exiting the airplane. Quickest was about 40 minutes the longest was about an hour and a half. Maybe we were just lucky and our resort was either first or second stop.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's still missing the point. It's not about "moving goal posts" or about finding ways to get there. It's about another thing Dr. Evil is taking away. I'm sick and tired of the amount of people who apologize for everything Dr. Evil does. Covid is the excuse for the are using for taking away things they have wanted to take away for years.
I can agree with what you just posted: Something free was taken away.

jlsHouston

I am tired of Disney Gouging me. Their actions tell me that they think I am stupid, and will be back. Much like a certian King in Hamilton.
Disney has hurt me in other areas as well, that I am not ready to talk about on here yet. *( I realize how strange that sounds, you just have to go with me here. I am not a crybaby, trust me) Our family has been one of the most devoted, brand addicted, fans you will ever find. I find that I am borderline bitter over the choices the company is making (starting with laying off firing equity, and progressing to the termination of friends behind the scenes in imagineering and guest services, and now telling me to find another ride from the airport- but still pay a butt load for our hotel anyway). Will I be back? Yes. But not spending a week at a time that equates to $6000 plus. I will stay off property, visit friends, eat at Chevy's for old time sake (until that gets destroyed for a highway exit ramp that may or may not be necessary anymore) and buy a one day ticket ($135 or so?)( if I am in the mood) for a spin around the ole park.
I'm kinda with you. It started with the MDE investment making the vacation more digital. Then came the price increases for everything and a zillion extra magical paid for experiences. I went from maintaining an annual pass and making 2-3 long visits per year and another 3-4 short stays to once in 2019 and yah I had to visit in 2020 to see what Disney apocalypse was going to look like and then recently did another 4 days this month to meet up with a kids/grandkids.
Pandemic has given TWDC a marvelous opportunity to give less and still charge. And that is exactly what we are seeing in the name of social distancing and preventing the spread. No fireworks, no parades, no special events, can't get a hold of anyone for a specialty cake, limited food openings, schedule a QS meal, limited menu items available, limited intrapark transportation for a while there, no valet parking ( yes I like that I am old and lazy ) no FastPass, no EMH, and now bye bye to ME and EMH not coming back the way it was. Less and less magic. I even think the music stopped in MK on Jan 7th. And yes the layoffs and furloughs, probably the employees with the most seniority too so when you wonder about those old Disney traditions and not a Cast member around with a memory of them you'll know why.
I'm sure Disney will do just fine in spite of how I scale back my vacation dollars with them. And at least I have the memories. But yes my park ninja days are over for awhile, will still do a few resort visits here and there but Disney not getting the 5 figures I was handing over annually for the magic that is just really limited these days and fixing to be eliminated

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom