News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There’s quite the seismic shift across the company happening at the moment. I’m not sure how the endgame will look but I’m not looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out to say the least.
Wouldn't be surprised if it involves selling off the parks to a third party.

MickeyLuv'r

Over in another forum, the same folks who are upset over loss of DME have, in another thread, posted their excitement over the newest round of WDW resort discounts.

Mind, I'm not thrilled about WDW's cutbacks, but I also know if WDW sees less hotel bookings, I sense WDW will just do what they've always done, offer some sort of (discount) special. Or some sort of perk that's only open to people staying onsite.

I also think a few of the posts are a little over the top, because I remember WDW before DME.

LovePop

Disney doesn’t do the luggage service in house.

And 2023 is the earliest. Remember the track work hasn’t even broken ground yet.
That's true, but I thought they could start luggage service again once the train is ready, like they used to do for DME before covid. In fact, I believe that is Disney's plan from the very beginning in getting a train from DS to MCO. Because it only makes sense. Have the train do most of the route, then the rest can be done by each resort's DS bus, which must be a huge savings for Disney, as well as reduce fuel use and road traffic.

Most people won't like the roundabout way of taking the train and then transfer, especially after a long flight, but they will accept it if it's either the free train+bus or uber from the airport. And, of course, if the train doesn't end up being built, then this is not going to happen and uber will be the future.

LovePop

It is not a train line between Walt Disney World and the airport. It is a train line between Miami, Orlando and Tampa that will stop at Walt Disney World and the airport.
Yeah, but if it runs every half hour or more, it's good enough for hauling people to and from MCO to DS. Or perhaps they can run extra train cars just between MCO and DS. Of course, if it only runs once a day, say, like my local Amtrak to Seattle, then forget it.

nickys

Premium Member
That's true, but I thought they could start luggage service again once the train is ready, like they used to do for DME before covid. In fact, I believe that is Disney's plan from the very beginning in getting a train from DS to MCO. Because it only makes sense. Have the train do most of the route, then the rest can be done by each resort's DS bus, which must be a huge savings for Disney, as well as reduce fuel use and road traffic.

Most people won't like the roundabout way of taking the train and then transfer, especially after a long flight, but they will accept it if it's either the free train+bus or uber from the airport. And, of course, if the train doesn't end up being built, then this is not going to happen and uber will be the future.
If Disney wanted a luggage service they could sign a contract for it tomorrow and get it re-started. What makes you think they will do so when the train starts running? Do you think Disney will provide this in-house?

If they do so I’m fairly sure it won’t use the train.

Here’s another thought. Pre-Covid the worst thing that could happen with the luggage service is your bag gets left at MCO, either on the air side or when loading the trucks. Or ends up at a different WDW resort. If they use a train that runs to Tampa, your bag could end up over on the east coast of Florida!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That’s exactly how I feel.
So seismic shift......

California is on top of a very active seismic zone, and they have already announced they are shifting some operations to Florida. Could they be looking at large scale shift out of California? Also, what's the chances they part ways with the Anaheim property by either closing fully or simply selling operational rights to a third party and just maintaining rights to intellectual property? Could the relationship with Cali be that bad?

LovePop

There’s quite the seismic shift across the company happening at the moment. I’m not sure how the endgame will look but I’m not looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out to say the least.
I'm not worried about it. Sure, Disney is losing billions right now, or at least not earning they billions they were supposed to, but concern for covid will go away eventually, and then Disney will be back where it was. I mean, WDW is not going anywhere, and in a few years, people are going to want to go back, and everything such as DME can be back.

Sir_Cliff

So seismic shift......

California is on top of a very active seismic zone, and they have already announced they are shifting some operations to Florida. Could they be looking at large scale shift out of California? Also, what's the chances they part ways with the Anaheim property by either closing fully or simply selling operational rights to a third party and just maintaining rights to intellectual property? Could the relationship with Cali be that bad?
Deciding to close Disneyland would be beyond a seismic shift!

Buck Wheelie

Over in another forum, the same folks who are upset over loss of DME have, in another thread, posted their excitement over the newest round of WDW resort discounts.

Mind, I'm not thrilled about WDW's cutbacks, but I also know if WDW sees less hotel bookings, I sense WDW will just do what they've always done, offer some sort of (discount) special. Or some sort of perk that's only open to people staying onsite.

I also think a few of the posts are a little over the top, because I remember WDW before DME.
Unless you're DVC then you're outta luck. Rarely does a special go to DVC owners. The current buy 4 get 2 free days on the tickets is a rare one they can take advantage of.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not worried about it. Sure, Disney is losing billions right now, or at least not earning they billions they were supposed to, but concern for covid will go away eventually, and then Disney will be back where it was. I mean, WDW is not going anywhere, and in a few years, people are going to want to go back, and everything such as DME can be back.
This is beyond Covid.

LovePop

This might have already been mentioned, but I just got to thinking, Disney's argument that uber can replace DME can be used not just on the DME, but all WDW internal transportation: buses, boats, monorail.

MickeyLuv'r

I remember it too. Those were the days when I considered WDW too difficult a trip to be worth it.

I believe you.

I've been a forum member for 17 years though, and I've read plenty of threads like this one over the years.

I'm not saying I like the WDW cuts/price raises, I'm just not convinced the end the MDE = the end of WDW. I remember when WDW raised the price of stroller rentals. I also remember when WDW make all hotel rooms non-smoking. Both triggered a good deal of outrage on WDW forums.

People who want to adapt will adapt.

I imagine there are even a few folks who will be glad if MCO and WDW have fewer buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom