Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

BuddyThomas

Remember, nominations are created by the movie companies as part of their marketing.
This statement is provably UNTRUE. However, rather than proving it to you in a Little Mermaid thread, perhaps if you people want to continue to debate the Oscars, one of you can create an Oscars thread instead.

MoonRakerSCM

That statement is provably true. Studios have conducted Oscar nomination/award programs as part of their marketing departments for pretty much the entire existence of the award. If a studio sees it as financially advantageous (whether for the film run, re-release, production team, brand), they swoon academy members to vote for them.

Whole programs are conducted with members... Private viewings with production crew to talk about the film and every aspect of what the category in question may be etc.

I had a buddy back in the day who was an academy member and we'd always watch movies that weren't released at home yet because he'd receive copies for personal use for award purposes.

BuddyThomas

That statement is provably true. Studios have conducted Oscar nomination/award programs as part of their marketing departments for pretty much the entire existence of the award. If a studio sees it as financially advantageous (whether for the film run, re-release, production team, brand), they swoon academy members to vote for them.

Whole programs are conducted with members... Private viewings with production crew to talk about the film and every aspect of what the category in question may be etc.

I had a buddy back in the day who was an academy member and we'd always watch movies that weren't released at home yet because he'd receive copies for personal use for award purposes.
MERMAID! Start an Oscars thread if you want to debate this.

DCBaker

Premium Member
“The first full trailer promoting The Little Mermaid generated more than 108 million global views in its first 24 hours, making it one of the most watched trailers for any title in Disney’s growing stable of live-action reimagining, and the biggest for a Disney live-action title since The Lion King in early 2019, according to the studio. The number of views is inclusive of the broadcast TV audience and digital.”

“The Lion King‘s first full trailer garnered roughly 130 million views in spring 2019. Otherwise, The Little Mermaid trailer surpassed the first full spot for Aladdin, which which was viewed 106.5 million times. Mermaid also surpassed Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019), Mulan (2020) and Cruella (2021).”

Full article below.

LSLS

That's interesting, did the others include the broadcasts as well? I honestly don't recall ever seeing that footnote.

mary2013

“The first full trailer promoting The Little Mermaid generated more than 108 million global views in its first 24 hours, making it one of the most watched trailers for any title in Disney’s growing stable of live-action reimagining, and the biggest for a Disney live-action title since The Lion King in early 2019, according to the studio. The number of views is inclusive of the broadcast TV audience and digital.”

“The Lion King‘s first full trailer garnered roughly 130 million views in spring 2019. Otherwise, The Little Mermaid trailer surpassed the first full spot for Aladdin, which which was viewed 106.5 million times. Mermaid also surpassed Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019), Mulan (2020) and Cruella (2021).”

Full article below.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed whenever The Lion King CGI remake is referred to as "live action"?

Screamface

They could have done something cool with the red hair. The red light wavelength is severely muted under water. They could have done something cool with her hair becoming redder the closer she gets to the surface and then above the water.

Riviera Rita

I'm not a fan of the 'reimaginating' of the classic animations, none have even closely succeeded yet, but, I actually want to see this now. I'm just hoping that it won't be the letdown that Beauty And the Beast was.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of the 'reimaginating' of the classic animations, none have even closely succeeded yet, but, I actually want to see this now. I'm just hoping that it won't be the letdown that Beauty And the Beast was.
Cruella was critically well received as a reimagining.

Because of the pandemic, we don't know how it would have fared at the box office.

LSLS

Cruella was critically well received as a reimagining.

Because of the pandemic, we don't know how it would have fared at the box office.

And as much as I HATED the new Beauty and the Beast, didn't it make like over $1 billion? I think they meant "None have even closely succeeded yet FOR ME."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And as much as I HATED the new Beauty and the Beast, didn't it make like over $1 billion? I think they meant "None have even closely succeeded yet FOR ME."
I think we're distinguishing between a 'remake' and a 'reimagining.'

For remakes, BatB, Cinderella, and Jungle Book did well theatrically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom