Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

DKampy

How tacky of Disney to run a trailer for one of their movies in the middle of an awards show, as PART of the awards show. And have actresses introduce it. Yeesh...
Well there is talks going on behind closed doors about allowing all the big studios to show previews of their upcoming slates on next years Academy Awards… with viewership decreasing the last few years they are trying to figure out ways to entice more people to watch… Even though the Academy Awards is one of my my most anticipated TV events of the year… I realize I am in the minority

Phroobar

Weird coloring choices for the backgrounds. Everything seems very dark including the above surface scenes while the Under the Sea number seems overly saturated.

Rich T

Some people have seen the classic animation once. And that's enough for them. And that's fine.

Some people have seen the classing animation several times. And so, the live-action will be just one more re-watching, but with a different visual interest.

No one is forced to watch a live-action remake. If seeing TLM once is enough, then peace be with you as you go about your business.

But stop dumping on people's desire to see it again with a different 'staging.'

Reprisals of Broadway musicals are quite popular even tho it's the same plot, dialogue, and music.
Most of us not enjoying what we’re seeing so far are not dumping on the people looking forward to this; we’re dumping on Disney’s current lack of creativity.

I have with no problem whatsoever with reimaginings and rethinks (your comparison to Broadway revivals is a great point) as long as they’re imaginative and have a point for existing beyond just quick cash. The casting of Ariel for this gave me hope that this was really going to strive to present something new. This latest trailer is so by-the-numbers copycat of the animated film, it’s ridiculous.

BUT, it’s just a trailer. The finished film could be solid and full of fantastic performances. But this trailer, for me, is sending out “here we go again” warning signals. I still hope the movie turns out to be a delightful surprise.

GimpYancIent

Have not watched an Oscars for a couple of decades. Not interested in seeing a black-tie ego affair for a mutual admiration society. That said, did see the Little Mermaid clip (separately after the Oscars) it is well made and is interesting. The live action Little Mermaid may just be a high point in an otherwise dismal collection of live action remakes.

mary2013

Sometimes things just go out of fashion and people lose interest in watching.
I saw an interesting video over the weekend. I think it was Fandom's By the Numbers. Basically, they took a look at box office success and critical acclaim of Best Picture winners. Up until about 2000, there was a correlation between the 2. The nominated movies were movies people went to see. Then the Academy started nominating all these prestige, art house movies that very few people had seen.

If your favorite movie during the year was nominated, you'd watch the Oscars to see if it wins. If movies you never heard of are nominated, why bother watching?

I'll try to find a link to that video.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

Just saw the new trailer. Until now I’d been optimistic. I still like the casting.

But, oh my gosh. this looks so boring! Just another nearly shot-by shot remake with horrible CGI animals???? That’s the impression this new trailer gives. No thanks. Cripes, I’d rather watch “Cats” a second time.

I hope I’m wrong. I’d genuinely love for this to actually be excellent and much more imaginative than the trailer suggests.
I had the opposite reaction: I’ve not been all that hopeful about the remake, but then the trailer totally won me over.

BuddyThomas

There are two things that make The Little Mermaid watchable: the quality of the animation and the beauty of Jodi Benson’s voice. This remake will have neither, so why would I want to watch it? The animated picture has a horrible moral lesson that if you make a deal with the devil, everything will work out great in the end for you. The only way this remake can offer anything of value is if it is faithful to the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale and something tells me that won’t happen.
LOL, they are not making a mermaid movie where she turns into sea foam at the end. On the other hand, they are making a film version of Once on This Island, which is loosely based on The Little Mermaid and has something resembling the Hans Christian Anderson ending.

Magenta Panther

Since it offends you to your very core so much, please also refrain from watching any movies, television shows, podcasts, concerts, or theatre. You wouldn’t want to support any pampered overpaid nitwits in any way, after all. 🙄🙄🙄

As long as entertainers focus on entertaining me, I've got no problem with them.

BuddyThomas

A studio obviously tries to put their best foot forward in a trailer so I was also surprised by how incredibly bland she seemed.

I don’t anything about the actress, but I assumed she would be a key driver in my interest to see this, but if that is an example of her acting ability, consider me greatly concerned.

Perhaps this is why they waited so long to release the full trailer, who knows….
Oh my God. 🙄

Phroobar

A studio obviously tries to put their best foot forward in a trailer so I was also surprised by how incredibly bland she seemed.

I don’t know anything about the actress, but I assumed she would be a key driver in my interest to see this, but if that is an example of her acting ability, consider me greatly concerned.

Perhaps this is why they waited so long to release the full trailer, who knows….
Looking at her credits in IMDB, she is a singer not an actress. Her only real acting credit was on Grown-ish.

Jedijax719

I don’t know anything about the actress, but I assumed she would be a key driver in my interest to see this, but if that is an example of her acting ability, consider me greatly concerned.

The first full trailer was released on the same exact day as the first trailer for Aladdin. (rolling eyes)

Jedijax719

True, four years ago. But compared to Disney's other recent tentpole films, it is significantly later (Indy 212 days, Mansion 162 days, Guardians 158 days, Ant-Man 116 days, and Mermaid only 76 days)

As they say "if you have the goods, show it". If those few specifically chosen line deliveries are an example of what we're in for, I get why they waited. Let's hope she can really sing.
Guardians (3 I presume) trailer was dropped 81 days before release during Superbowl. Ant Man QM trailer was dropped on January 9, 39 days before release. Mansion and Indy haven't had trailers yet (only teasers) so I have NO clue where you got those numbers from.

Little Mermaid trailer was dropped 75 days before release.

The way people create and spin their own narratives to meet their personal agenda and fail miserably is absolutely astonishingly humorous!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom