Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What was/is your objection?
I don’t think that part of the movie was “broke”…but I get that LMM is gonna tinker…that’s what they hire him for.

I thought it was a high pitched distraction in the background…didn’t add anything. The chorus at least.

But I’d have to listen to it more closely when I’m not stepping over toys throw all over the isles…I suppose?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The 1989 version of the song is better overall, especially in terms of visuals, but I’m glad they switched things up. I’m not interested in remakes that just copy everything directly.
Well that’s the pickle they created, huh?

Direct copies to “limit risk”…but then trying to spin it to masses as “something new”

I think my view on the blunders of remakes has been long established…so I’ll stop and go out for a PSL instead 😎 🎃

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
TLM was never promoted as a direct copy, so I’m not sure what spin you’re referring to.
Ok…now you’re fooling your self.
The “non direct copies” have been the two malificents, cruella, the Alice weird burtons…maybe the jungle book?

The rest are all elaborate tinkering to the same dialogue and screenplays with an added scene or song her and there to try and fence sit?
Not too subtle.

Have a nice day…we’ve covered this ground.

Chi84

Premium Member
The 1989 version of the song is better overall, especially in terms of visuals, but I’m glad they switched things up. I’m not interested in remakes that just copy everything directly.
I absolutely loved the newer version of the song and the visuals they created in the remake. The part with the turtles was fantastic! Also, I bought the movie when it came out and there were extras that showed how much of those scenes were created - it was Disney at its best!

Then again I also loved "Scuttlebutt," so I'll admit to having different taste from most.

Disstevefan1

We all have to understand today’s Disney company does not create content with mass appeal in mind. This is their right as creators.

The content will be, what the content will be, period.

The problem comes with return on investment. They simply spend too much to make these movies.

Going forward it will be rare a Disney movie will make money at the box office alone. It will take years to get return on investment, if ever.

And if that continues to be OK for whoever Disney gets the money from to make the movies (we all know they don’t use their own money) then it will continue.

When the investors stop providing the money, then there is a problem.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We all have to understand today’s Disney company does not create content with mass appeal in mind. This is their right as creators. The content will be what the content will be, period.

The problem comes with return on investment. They simply spend too much to make these movies.

Going forward it will be rare a Disney movie will make money at the box office alone. It will take years to get return on investment, if ever.

And if that continues to be OK for whoever Disney gets the money from to make the movies (we all know they don’t use their own money) then it will continue.

When the investors stop providing the money, then there is a problem.

Time will tell.
I disagree on “mass appeal”…that’s their entire goal because Disney had sold its product on “saturation principle” since about 1950…

But I’m totally in agreement about how the movies cost way too much.

And that’s a problem with no easy solution

Chi84

Premium Member
I love that I’m being told I fooled myself into not expecting TLM to be a carbon copy of the original before discovering—because I actually watched it—that I was right!

Have a great day, Walter.
But then you’re not bitter/disappointed/angry/upset anywhere along the line. What fun is that?!

Disstevefan1

I disagree on “mass appeal”…that’s their entire goal because Disney had sold its product on “saturation principle” since about 1950…

But I’m totally in agreement about how the movies cost way too much.

And that’s a problem with no easy solution
Well if they are honestly intending on creating content for mass appeal, they are doing it wrong, that is not opinion, the numbers show that.

In my opinion, they are making content they want to make period.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well if they are honestly intending on creating content for mass appeal, they are doing it wrong, that is not opinion, the numbers show that.

In my opinion, they are making content they want to make period.
…you have a point…its tough to get everyone onboard though

For me…it became brutally apparent they switched their trains to the wrong track in 2015…but it took a long time for the fog/shell shock to clear before I could accept it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But then you’re not bitter/disappointed/angry/upset anywhere along the line. What fun is that?!
As always…constructive criticism doesn’t necessarily equal any of your vocab list above.

It’s just letting your 4 brain lobes do what they were designed to do.

I’m rarely any of those things in the discussion.

I was “annoyed” after watching this weeks episode of Asohka…
…I’ll cop to that.

dreday3

I have a hill too!

I think the live-action Cinderella was FABULOUS! Yes it followed the same story but I don't care. The casting was perfect, the costumes were amazing, the colors were luscious and the music was beautiful.

No other live-actions have lived up to it for me. I've liked some just fine but I can re-watch Cinderella again and again. Hoping I feel this way about Little Mermaid!

Perhaps it was Kenneth Branagh's direction. I'm also enjoying his take on all the Agatha Christie movies for pretty much the same reasons listed above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom