Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes. And I don’t like to even talk about this…but it’s likely still a thing…

By flipping the casting…they MAY have alienated the mass audience to a degree by making a more narrow “focus”…even if it wasn’t their intent. Heart in the right place…head not quite in the same.

I think the pedantic remakes of every 1980’s vhs cover is the real issue with mermaid - to be fair. I think that’s the main stumbling block. It’s tired and Disneys “labels” strategy is unraveling.

But is racism some of it?

Well here’s my two questions:
1. Is the world racist?
2. Is the United States the most wealthy, racist country this side of the Appian Way?

…both are rhetorical.
You can’t blame people for being confused. We were told in the Strange World thread that racism hasn’t been a thing in this country for 60 years so there’s nothing to “correct” on that score. Now Disney has to wait longer to cast Halle Bailey in TLM because her casting may have alienated a large part of the audience. Nice.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
the sky is gonna be “pink” at WDI when Bob starts slashing the headcount..

…don’t discount they may finally close it/go contract based.

That’s a doozy for another day 🤓
I think they would leave some in-house, but going contractual maybe the best option long term.

But that is a different conversation for a different thread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They may indeed. You seem to view that as a mistake on their part. I don’t.
Had to take a shot, huh?

Oh noble crusader 🙄

From a ideological point? No
Business? Then it gets difficult

But look at it the other way: if the business fails hard…as it’s begun to…the progress slows or dies.

Think that’s worth it for a little mermaid remake and a stupid Indiana Jones?

I don’t.

Chi84

Premium Member
Had to take a shot, huh?

Oh noble crusader 🙄

But look at it the other way: if the business fails hard…as it’s begun to…the progress slows or dies.

I don’t.
Casting Halle Bailey in TLM killed social progress? Maybe stop explaining.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And again this is where the dispute continues, because you don't want to recognize any revenue post-theatrical even though studios, media, and everyone outside of a few on these forums do.
Hey…are we having reading comp problems?

toy sales are not to cover budgets. Ignore it 1000 times and it will still be true on the 1001st

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Casting Halle Bailey in TLM killed social progress? Maybe stop explaining.
Defend this. If you can't, explain the difference.

Snow-White-Live-Action-TMZ-3.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hey…are we having reading comp problems?

toy sales are not to cover budgets. Ignore it 1000 times and it will still be true on the 1001st
I never mentioned toy sales in this exchange, so doesn't appear to be me that has reading comprehension issues....

But I have brought up PVOD and D+, which does cover budgets as explained many many many times in these threads even if it gets ignored 1001 times.

LittleBuford

Had to take a shot, huh?

Oh noble crusader 🙄

I don’t.
I am not taking shots. I am responding to the words and sentiments you yourself are choosing to share. I made no insinuation that you had an ideological issue with her casting; it’s clear you’re referring to the business side of things. That doesn’t change anything for me, because I still disagree with you. To my mind, there’s nothing especially daring about Disney’s strategy, and even if they are losing a bit of money because of their perceived progressivism, they can afford to do so. I believe, moreover, that such an approach will prove wiser than the alternative in the long term, both as regards PR and financially.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom