Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know what the "projections" are, nor do I know where online to find them.

I mainly deal in hard facts and data that are documented only after a movie opens on The Numbers website.

I expect Barbie to do very well at the box office in three weeks. It looks hysterical and fabulous. And I have a very good sense of humor and rather good taste, so I would know.

I just gave you the industry site on where the projections are coming from, these are fed by the studios themselves.

Here it is again:

Even MI:7 is tracking low compared to its over $300M+marketing budget.

TP2000

I just gave you the industry site on where the projections are coming from, these are fed by the studios themselves.

Here it is again:

Even MI:7 is tracking low compared to its over $300M+marketing budget.

Sweetie, it's 2am on a holiday weekend. I was at a July 4th barbecue thing this evening until Midnight. You didn't "just give me" anything.

You may have posted that link in this thread a day or two ago, but I don't remember that. Nor would I normally care.

But now that you've reposted it, I'll have to take a look.

That said, Barbie is going to rival or exceed the box office for The Little Mermaid. I can just tell, because I have a finger on the pulse of American pop culture. And Barbie is going to do that with only a $100 Million budget, compared to the $250 Million budget Mermaid had for some unknown reason. If you've seen the special effects of how Barbie floats down off her Dream Home like every girl in America knows how to do, you'd know Barbie wasn't just a high school project. It's special effects and expertly researched color palettes.

It's also all the Barbies and planned choreography and a bespoke song, you should stop by.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sweetie, it's 2am on a holiday weekend. I was at a July 4th barbecue thing this evening until Midnight. You didn't "just give me" anything.

You may have posted that link in this thread a day or two ago, but I don't remember that. Nor would I normally care.

But now that you've reposted it, I'll have to take a look.

That said, Barbie is going to rival or exceed the box office for The Little Mermaid. I can just tell, because I have a finger on the pulse of American pop culture. And Barbie is going to do that with only a $100 Million budget, compared to the $250 Million budget Mermaid had for some unknown reason. If you've seen the special effects of how Barbie floats down off her Dream Home like every girl in America knows how to do, you'd know Barbie wasn't just a high school project. It's special effects and expertly researched color palettes.

It's also all the Barbies with custom choreography and a bespoke song, you should stop by.

Honey sweetie pie, I did provide it in the below post that was a reply to you from 30 mins ago, just because you didn't click on the link I provided is not my fault....

You keep touting Barbie as the next great American summer blockbuster, yet the tracking doesn't bear that out, as its still tracking lower than TLM and looks to be a flop also.

Sorry but can't use the same metrics to deride Disney but claim the movie you're looking forward to like Barbie as a "cultural phenom".
Also I've seen the trailer over a month ago, long before you discovered it only a couple weeks ago. And I'm not impressed, the toy come to the real world story has been done before honey.

TP2000

Honey sweetie pie, I did provide it in the below post that was a reply to you from 30 mins ago, just because you didn't click on the link I provided is not my fault....

I don't click on links from strange gentlemen. Even if they buy me a drink. Especially if they buy me a drink, now that I think about it.

Also I've seen the trailer over a month ago, long before you discovered it only a couple weeks ago. And I'm not impressed, the toy come to the real world story has been done before honey.

And you didn't recognize this movie for what it was a month ago? It's kind of telling you only think this is a "toy goes to the real world" movie. It's so much more. So, so much more. It will likely beat The Little Mermaid at the box office, it's that impactful. It's also pretty and fun.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't click on links from strange gentlemen. Even if they buy me a drink. Especially if they buy me a drink, now that I think about it.
I won't be buying you a drink, so no worry there.

But the link was provided, again whether you clicked it or not. Barbie is tracking lower than TLM, indisputable fact based on industry tracking. Could it do better and have long term box office potential, sure just like all other movies currently in theaters including Disney films. But if the numbers are the numbers, then Barbie ain't having a party.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And you didn't recognize this movie for what it was a month ago? It's kind of telling you only think this is a "toy goes to the real world" movie. It's so much more. So, so much more. It will likely beat The Little Mermaid at the box office, it's that impactful. It's also pretty and fun.
I recognize it plays largely to a certain demographic. But does it have wide appeal, no I don't think so, and the tracking bears that out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You know what is funny and telling, is you never once asked me if I would go see it.

Just to let you know, I will, on the opening Thursday night showing as I see all movies. Not because I'm overly impressed by it but because I'm a movie buff and will see most films. And I'm still here saying it's going to largely fall in-line with the tracking, which is still less than TLM.

TP2000

You know what is funny and telling, is you never once asked me if I would go see it.

I never asked you if you'd go see it because I don't care what movie you see, or don't see. ;)

I also don't care what color your living room drapes are. Or what brand of refrigerator you have in your kitchen. And I wouldn't expect you to care about my drapes or refrigerator or movie plans either.

But if you think Barbie is just...

And I'm not impressed, the toy come to the real world story has been done before honey.

Then you don't get it. But maybe after you see it you'll get it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I never asked you if you'd go see it because I don't care what movie you see, or don't see. ;)

I also don't care what color your living room drapes are. Or what brand of refrigerator you have in your kitchen. And I wouldn't expect you to care about my drapes or refrigerator or movie plans either.

But if you think Barbie is just...

Then you don't get it. But maybe after you see it you'll get it.
Hmm, you think I don't get the whole Barbie World and how its the whole "child's imagination come to life" and Barbie's whole journey to the real world is about re-sparking that imagination back into the world because modern children have lost their innocence.

Is that what you think I don't get? Trust me my friend, I can analyze these movies all day long. Again doesn't impress me much.

LittleBuford

No, not when Barbie only cost $100 Million to produce. And looks as colorful and fun as it does.

I wouldn't be surprised if the $100 Million Barbie does better at the box office than the $250 Million Mermaid,
But profit margins are irrelevant to the point you’re otherwise making, which is about the films that American viewers are interested in seeing at the cinema. If Barbie makes around the same at the domestic box office as Mermaid did, then both films can be deemed comparably appealing, regardless of their respective budgets.

Tha Realest

You keep touting Barbie as the next great American summer blockbuster, yet the tracking doesn't bear that out, as its still tracking lower than TLM and looks to be a flop also.

Sorry but can't use the same metrics to deride Disney but claim the movie you're looking forward to like Barbie as a "cultural phenom".
Barbie’s production costs were 40% of The Little Mermaid.

In box office terminology, terms like flop, bomb, hit, and success are all used when the box office returns are viewed relative to production costs. I get why you and others want to use a different set of standards and ignore basic math.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

In box office terminology, terms like flop, bomb, hit, and success are all used when the box office returns are viewed relative to production costs. I get why you and others want to use a different set of standards and ignore basic math.
I understand the term fine thanks.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It's nothing to do with ignoring maths, but rather being consistent in one's line of argument. If we're focusing on the film's appeal, then the only standard that matters is how many people paid to see it, not what it made in relation to its budget.

Here's a helpful summary:

Money = attendance = how many people saw it = appeal of movie

Chi84

Premium Member
Then doesn’t do as well…and you judge based on that.

See how numbers work?

Money = attendance = how many people saw it = appeal of movie
The poster I asked gave me a sincere answer to my actual question.

I appreciate the explanation of how numbers work but I make my own decisions about which movies I think will appeal to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom