Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

dreamscometrue

Unless they go all out and completely copy DCA in every way I don't want to see it in WDW. Just part of the ride, or 1 ride, and not the town etc. is a waste and the cheap way out.

I understand that you'd like the whole package, as would I, but I wouldn't call a (reportedly) $200 million attraction 'cheap '.

Beholder

Beyond the fact that the hat is a thematic intrusion, it's become (in my mind) the icon for what's wrong with DHS, and perhaps certain other aspects of WDW. It's big, plastic looking, flashy, and beyond the cheap marketing ploy it is, it serves NO purpose. Removing it, while not fixing the deeper issues, would go a long way in once again revealing some of lost potential this park really has. It would be a gesture that I for one would greatly appreciate.

wonderbooty911

Leave the MuppetVision 3D film untouched as it was Jim Henson's last project he worked on. I'm all for refurbing the queue area and the outside of the attraction as well as expanding the Muppets' presence in the park completely.
Well said! That last scene in muppetVision brings back SO many memories!!

alissafalco

I understand that you'd like the whole package, as would I, but I wouldn't call a (reportedly) $200 million attraction 'cheap '.

LOL well which ride are you talking about? RSR? Thats the ride I think they are going to cheap out on. There are rumors (yes i know, just rumors) that they want to do it without the rock work, or minus the town, or only do Luigi's and Tow Mater etc. which would be only part of the ride and yes that would make it cheap if thats the case.

GLaDOS

Which leads me to the question for anyone, why possibly build RSR w/o the entire Carsland?

Maybe a more appropriate question...why spend that type of money on one attraction in DHS when they could easily build an entire immersive land or multiple rides for that investment?

Yea. I'd rather get a ride like the Ratatouille ride at DSP that's costing 150 mill along with the MI coaster, and a few other smaller additions rather than 1 400 million dollar investment.

Kuhio

Beyond the fact that the hat is a thematic intrusion, it's become (in my mind) the icon for what's wrong with DHS, and perhaps certain other aspects of WDW. It's big, plastic looking, flashy, and beyond the cheap marketing ploy it is, it serves NO purpose.

In addition to everything you said, the Hat is also an utterly unimaginative and terribly generic (and therefore inappropriate) icon for a theme park called "Disney's Hollywood Studios" and ostensibly focusing on film, television, and music-based entertainment.

The Hat relates to the Studios theme only isofar as it originated in a movie -- but, by that logic, any symbol from any movie, whether Disney-made or otherwise, would be an equally good choice. Why not a giant statue of Tinker Bell instead? She also originated in a Disney movie, and represents (as much as the Hat does, anyway) an over-generalized symbol of the "magic" that all the WDW parks are peddling.

So not only is the Hat a thematic intrusion for its specific location within the park, it's also incongruous with regard to its larger representational purposes. Although one can readily identify the Studios with the Hat purely out of years of familiarity, it's really not a natural fit as the icon of the Studios in the same way that Cinderella Castle, SSE, and Tree of Life are for the other three parks.

LudwigVonDrake

'Disney' to many of the mature members of this board does not mean 'cartoon character', or '(aquired) IP'. 'Disney' means a certain take on things, positive, quality.

World Showcase is decidedly 'Disney'. As is Animal Kingdom. And little worlds developed in the parks - Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion.

The idea that Disney means 'cartoon' or 'celeb IP' is mostly new, derived from shortsighted management and guests who either don't know, or don't understand, or can't readily express, what Disney is about.

The 'Hollywood that never was and always will be' as presented in DHS is decidedly Disney. And very succesful too. It's a complete triumph of Disney placemaking and storytelling. The imbecile hat detracts from it, makes DHS less Disney!

My point was that the Chinese theater wasn't created by Disney thus making it "non Disney". Disney created the castle, SSE and the Tree of Life. The theater was built by Sid Graumann. If Disney wants to put something there that they created they should go ahead. I don't mind the hat but can see where people don't like it but then it's all everyone's opinion.

BTW, nice snide remark about "mature" members of this board. Wow.

Bairstow

I wonder if there is a way to re-purpose some of the rockwork of Catastrophe Canyon for a Radiator Springs Racers...

2999780299_1406d763df.jpg

Bolna

In addition to everything you said, the Hat is also an utterly unimaginative and terribly generic (and therefore inappropriate) icon for a theme park called "Disney's Hollywood Studios" and ostensibly focusing on film, television, and music-based entertainment.

The Hat relates to the Studios theme only isofar as it originated in a movie -- but, by that logic, any symbol from any movie, whether Disney-made or otherwise, would be an equally good choice. Why not a giant statue of Tinker Bell instead? She also originated in a Disney movie, and represents (as much as the Hat does, anyway) an over-generalized symbol of the "magic" that all the WDW parks are peddling.

So not only is the Hat a thematic intrusion for its specific location within the park, it's also incongruous with regard to its larger representational purposes. Although one can readily identify the Studios with the Hat purely out of years of familiarity, it's really not a natural fit as the icon of the Studios in the same way that Cinderella Castle, SSE, and Tree of Life are for the other three parks.

You can even take it further. I have always been a bit amazed about the love affair Disney has with "Sorcerer Mickey" which is where the hat comes from. If you look at Fantasia, the film, it isn't Mickey who is the sorcerer, Mickey is only the sorcerer's apprentice. The whole segment goes back to a very famous German poem called "Der Zauberlehrling" (the Sorcerer's Apprentice") by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. The sorcerer's apprentice is trying to do some magic, but fails to be able to manage the magic he creates and nearly drowns in the water he gets the brooms to fetch for him. Somehow not the kind of magic that Disney loves to evoke...

There is a line in the pome which reads "Die ich rief, die Geister, werd ich nun nicht los!" meaning "I can't get rid of the spirits which I summoned" which is often cited. And the funny thing is that it seems to be very apt with regard to the hat that appears to be an evil spirit that was only meant to be temporary but which the park now can't get rid of!

Bairstow

There is a line in the pome which reads "Die ich rief, die Geister, werd ich nun nicht los!" meaning "I can't get rid of the spirits which I summoned" which is often cited. And the funny thing is that it seems to be very apt with regard to the hat that appears to be an evil spirit that was only meant to be temporary but which the park now can't get rid of!

Someone needs to spraypaint that on the hat.

That or Disney could tear it down and build a 40-foot statute of Nicholas Cage and Jay Baruchel.

jensenrick

Which leads me to the question for anyone, why possibly build RSR w/o the entire Carsland?

Maybe a more appropriate question...why spend that type of money on one attraction in DHS when they could easily build an entire immersive land or multiple rides for that investment?

You assume they are capable of building multiple rides in an immersive land for that investment. I have doubts, major doubts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom