Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

GrumpyFan

Unless there is a major change in management, I really don't see anything major happening at DHS (or anywhere else at WDW) at least until after Avatar breaks ground. There was a news article recently that mentioned this very topic stating that with all of the recent investment they've done in re-building DCA, Fantasyland Expansion, new park in China and two new cruise ships, they are actually looking to try and scale back on capital spending. So, my reading of that would mean don't expect anything big at WDW for at least another 3 years after Avatar is built. Which likely means close to 2018. Also, consider the fact that the re-theme/upgrade of Star Tours last year produced very little attendance bump for the park, leaving management to think that overhauling/re-doing an attraction really doesn't offer a noticeable increase. However, all this said, I would guess they are watching Cars Land very closely, and perhaps even looking to the future at Monsters University before anything is green lit. If anything, the only change I would expect in the next few years is to see American Idol close or maybe even get replaced.

Ignohippo

Although this ride sounds somewhat fun and I love the idea of the Indy Speedway land being used for something else, I just don't see how this entire section of land can be used for arguably the worst Pixar movie yet. Personally, I fel asleep during Cars 2, I really didn't like it at all and I think most of us can believe that it was created mostly because merchandise sales would go through the roof, not because it was a brilliant concept for a movie.

It wouldn't take up the entire backlot by any means. The "load area" would be in the area of the current Backlot Tour turnaround (just in front of LMA). The route would go around LMA, the area that is currently the outdoor prop junkyard, and around and through costuming.

You'd have an enormous amount of space in the backlot that could be split between an expanded Pixar Place and (what I'd really like to see) a ToonTown like the one at DL.

cslafferty

Isn't RSR DCA's version of TT? I haven't been there, so I'm asking - the pictures I've seen of the vehicles on the track reminded me of TT with a different theme. If that's the case, I'd rather see something different, like a Monster's Inc. door coaster. The first time I saw that movie, during the chase scene through the doors I thought "This would be a great ride!" Of course, that would bring up the whole discussion of "How would a Monster's Inc ride fit with the theme of DHS??" Ugh!

invader

Isn't RSR DCA's version of TT? I haven't been there, so I'm asking - the pictures I've seen of the vehicles on the track reminded me of TT with a different theme. If that's the case, I'd rather see something different, like a Monster's Inc. door coaster. The first time I saw that movie, during the chase scene through the doors I thought "This would be a great ride!" Of course, that would bring up the whole discussion of "How would a Monster's Inc ride fit with the theme of DHS??" Ugh!
Yes it's Test Track v3.0 but the ride is much more intricately themed. Monsters Door Coaster would fit perfectly in Pixar Place.

GrumpyFan

Yes, the two attractions share the same ride technology.

Your thoughts on the Monsters Inc coaster are shared and have been expressed by many. It is a good concept for a ride that we will hopefully get to experience some day. I'm interested to see if there will be anything similar to it in the new movie coming out next year. How to fit/theme it into DHS is a good question though.

mickey2008.1

While RSR would fit, WDW already has it's version in TT. What to do with DHS is any ones guess. Definitely a new Fantasmic show and updated GMR. Backlot tour could become anything, it just needs to be something. Bring the INDY ride, or some immersive thrill ride based on movies. It just has to be outside, not a dark ride like RNR. High speed coaster through different lands, even worlds, all based on movies.

Mike K

Yes, the two attractions share the same ride technology.

Your thoughts on the Monsters Inc coaster are shared and have been expressed by many. It is a good concept for a ride that we will hopefully get to experience some day. I'm interested to see if there will be anything similar to it in the new movie coming out next year. How to fit/theme it into DHS is a good question though.

The Monsters Inc. Coaster would fit like a glove at Pixar Place. That section of Hollywood Studios is completely dedicated to all things Pixar although all that exists is really Toy Story Midway Mania. I think people get swept up in the environment of Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd feeling that most attractions need to fit this golden age of Hollywood theme. While both those streets I am incredibly fond of and spend quite a lot of time just taking in the surroundings, each "land" is meant to represent different aspects of Hollywood and/or movie making, not just the golden era. With the right direction, a Pixar Place expansion could be one of the best things to happen to Hollywood Studios allowing for more of Pixar's modern day masterpieces to get there time to shine as attractions.

GrumpyFan

The Monsters Inc. Coaster would fit like a glove at Pixar Place. That section of Hollywood Studios is completely dedicated to all things Pixar although all that exists is really Toy Story Midway Mania. I think people get swept up in the environment of Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd feeling that most attractions need to fit this golden age of Hollywood theme. While both those streets I am incredibly fond of and spend quite a lot of time just taking in the surroundings, each "land" is meant to represent different aspects of Hollywood and/or movie making, not just the golden era. With the right direction, a Pixar Place expansion could be one of the best things to happen to Hollywood Studios allowing for more of Pixar's modern day masterpieces to get there time to shine as attractions.

I agree this area is a great place for it to go, and certainly seems like a logical place to put such an attraction.
I think the question was more about themeing and back-story. What would be the premise of the Monsters being here in DHS? How would you theme the outside of the building?

invader

I agree this area is a great place for it to go, and certainly seems like a logical place to put such an attraction.
I think the question was more about themeing and back-story. What would be the premise of the Monsters being here in DHS? How would you theme the outside of the building?
The same way it's themed in TDL, like the Monsters, Inc. building.

tokyo+2.jpg

Disneyfanatic!!

Original Poster
The same way they made Andy's Room fit thematically for TSMM. The back story for Pixar Place is that the animators left for the day and the characters have taken over. So the outside would be themed to the same brick buildings seen over by TSMM with some Monsters, Inc. flare around it.

Mike K

I think it would be great to create about half a street that resembles the one Mike and Sulley walk on to there way to work. You could have monsters poking out from windows and sewer drains and have merchandise carts parked there as well. The street would lead up to the Monsters Inc. Building and inside would have a real immersive and interactive queue area where Mike is explaining how the door system works and what not. Eventually, guests make there way to the loading dock where the fun will begin. Something along those lines I think could be really cool.

jumblue

I remember reading awhile back that some of Pixar Place already bears a resemblance to the street in Monstropolis that Mike and Sully walk to work. Rumors said that the ride exterior would resemble the Scare/Laugh Powered-plant. Don't remember the source on either of these.

Turtle

And if we can't get the door vault coaster then we should be able to relocate the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor to the former Prince Caspian building. That would take some time off of the Toy Story Midway Mania wait line, and it will make Pixar Place feel more like a themed land. But obviously we all prefer the door vault coaster.

Turtle

So an easy way to expand without paying as much money:
1. Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is put into the Prince Caspian building.
2. Make a café themed to Ratatouille
3. Make a ground-breaking Dumbo/Teacups. themed to the Incredible's Omnidroid. You are put into one of the omnidroid's arms and to "defeat" the robot you must move up and down and twist (teacup) the vehicle.
4. Make an improved area for all Pixar meet and greets
5. Relocate Pizza Planet (and attempt to match the interior of the restaurant of the film)
6. Al's Toy Barn is where everybody can buy Pixar Merchandise.
7. Put a different title on the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground and name it "A Bug's Set"

This expansion would be from where the backlot entrance starts to the Prince Caspian building. Then when this is completed (2014?) we can have a grand reopening with a red-carpet and everything.

Flip83

I would rather see it as a Pixar Land then a Cars Zland. Yes, you could eat up a lot of space with a big Cars attraction (like the ride in Cars Land). Pixar has done wonders for Disney and I feel all their movies should ll get their own unique thing in a Apixar Land. Toy Story Mania obviously brings in a HUGE crowd. Imagine how great everything would do.

I would also love to see Star Wars area get expanded a little bit.

RnR is still great, but it could use some fresh new preshow or something.

I say don't remove Fantasmic, just update it. Incorporate new technology/new segments. Keep some old segments and add new ones.

Mike K

I would rather see it as a Pixar Land then a Cars Zland. Yes, you could eat up a lot of space with a big Cars attraction (like the ride in Cars Land). Pixar has done wonders for Disney and I feel all their movies should ll get their own unique thing in a Apixar Land. Toy Story Mania obviously brings in a HUGE crowd. Imagine how great everything would do.

I would also love to see Star Wars area get expanded a little bit.

RnR is still great, but it could use some fresh new preshow or something.

I say don't remove Fantasmic, just update it. Incorporate new technology/new segments. Keep some old segments and add new ones.

While I would love to see Star Wars expanded, it doesn't seem likely. I think it was mentioned that no plans to expand have been made plus I think they feel Star Wars must have enough with the recent refurb and Star Wars weekends, etc. It's a shame because Star Wars is such a great franchise that still brings in a strong fanbase. I'd love to see what they could accomplish with at least one more attraction and a Star Wars themed dining option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom