Disney's Hollywood Studios vs Universal Studios Florida

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
The two studios parks in Orlando.
Let's say that you have one single day in the Orlando area, and your only option is to do one of the Studios parks. If you choose Universal, you cannot visit Islands of Adventure, or if you choose DHS, you cannot visit any of the other Disney parks.

Which park is superior, has better rides, worth your money, etc? Which is the better park?

Hollywood Studios: Disney World's Best Rides & Most Frustrating Park -  Disney Tourist Blog
Disney's Hollywood Studios | Guide to Rides, Shows & Dining
WDW 2020 Studios Sunset Boulevard at night 3 - AllEars.Net

Celebrate the Holidays at Universal Orlando - 2021 Insider's Guide | Orlando  Informer

Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley

newyork_carelli-700x457.jpg

OG Runner

I still go to USF & IOA. I just like DHS a bit more, so I voted that way.
Diagon Alley & Spiderman still keep me coming back. The variety at
DHS with both Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge and Rock n' Roll
Rollercoaster are my favorites.

Magenta Panther

Well, Universal has Potterland, which is excellent.

And DHS has the Tower of Terror, which is top-of-the-line.

So I honestly can't decide between the two.

(Although I do think that Universal has the better Hollywood section. The actors impersonating Marilyn Monroe and Lucille Ball are outstanding. Plus Schwab's Drugstore and other landmarks give a better Old Hollywood feeling than does DHS, in my opinion).

LittleMerman

My loyalty lies with DHS because I love Disney so much. Galaxy's Edge is great, Toy Story Land is fun, I love ToT, RnR Coaster, and Mickey & Minnie's Railway. The stage shows are cute.

Islands of Adventure has some amazing rides - Hagrid, Forbidden Journey, Velocicoaster, Spiderman, Hulk. The Universal side is not as great - it's my least favorite of the 7 main Orlando parks. I do love Gringotts and Mummy, and ET is cute.

There's definitely more to do between the two Universal parks than at DHS. I would love to see another land at DHS - maybe a "fantasy" type of land for all those rides that really belong in Fantasyland but there's no room for in MK (Encanto, Frozen could have gone there, etc.). But like I said, I overall enjoy DHS more!

OG Runner

Once Epic Universe opens, I hope Universal will focus on the Studios park and really lean into their legacy properties and make that park showcase all of their classics.
Upfront know I am not trying to start an argument. What do you consider the Studios legacy properties?
I mean they have done an excellent job updating, including a new ride, in the Jurassic Park/World section.
Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade are both very good also.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Upfront know I am not trying to start an argument. What do you consider the Studios legacy properties?
I mean they have done an excellent job updating, including a new ride, in the Jurassic Park/World section.
Jurassic and Hogsmeade are in IOA though. I’m not the OP, but I’d consider the legacy IP to be some of the older properties. The legacy park has had a run of mediocre to poor additions, and whilst I said this and DHS are as good, Uni Studios isn’t as… attractive… as it was. Yes, you need to balance old and new but it’s a fine line. Epic messed a lot with plans for the legacy park but one can still hope the planned expansion of Uni Studios will include established as well as more current IP.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Interesting to see all these DHS votes but none mention the new whiz bang land or ground breaking ride? Hmmmm

Uhh....

The variety at
DHS with both Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge and Rock n' Roll
Rollercoaster are my favorites.

My loyalty lies with DHS because I love Disney so much. Galaxy's Edge is great, Toy Story Land is fun, I love ToT, RnR Coaster, and Mickey & Minnie's Railway. The stage shows are cute.

🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting to see all these DHS votes but none mention the new whiz bang land or ground breaking ride? Hmmmm
Is there a new one coming?

Because they did not build a whiz bang land and groundbreaking ride.

At some point - the customer needs to just trust what their eyes and ears show them instead of letting their emotions tell them what they want to see/paid for…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My main problem with USO is the nearly defunct kids land around the horn to fast and furious…but there’s a big opportunity there to reinvest for Comcast.

Led by the Simpsons…please dump that garbage ASAP. You can do a little MIB revamp/flesh out and build solid new stuff with the space around it.

Disney fired “their shot”…they can certainly add more depth to the shallow Pixar and Star Wars lands…but I have zero confidence anyone In management is smart enough to do that. So mgm is locked in for decades as I see it - just opinion.

More upside/potential in universal studios right now even if it’s not a superior park it stands.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

I could easily see them building state of the art attractions on the following:

Back to the Future (This attraction would need to actually hit 88mph. It doesn't need to be a coaster but it should have a launch and then paired as a dark ride)
Ghostbusters (This could be an attraction like MIB with Augmented Reality. Your ride vehicles are roving proton packs)
Fast and the Furious. (Make an attraction that lives up to the name)
ET (Redo with new tech)
Jaws
Jumanji (although I'm not sure if they own the rights to it...it's Sony but could lend itself to a great theme park land)

Illumination Land: Minions, Secret Life of Pets, Sing stage show...

EDIT: Willy Wonka would be an amazing theme park land as well. Uni needs to get on those rights!

Last edited:

OG Runner

Back to the Future (This attraction would need to actually hit 88mph. It doesn't need to be a coaster but it should have a launch and then paired as a dark ride)
Ghostbusters (This could be an attraction like MIB with Augmented Reality. Your ride vehicles are roving proton packs)
ET (Redo with new tech)
Jaws
Jumanji (although I'm not sure if they own the rights to it...it's Sony but could lend itself to a great theme park land)

EDIT: Willy Wonka would be an amazing theme park land as well. Uni needs to get on those rights!

I agree with you these would all be great ideas. At first when you said "legacy" attractions I thought you were talking about
the attractions already in the park. They definitely have the IPs to have a very diverse selection. I wish for the kids and the adults
the feel like kids that the would add a Kung Fu Panda attraction or show.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

ET (Redo with new tech)
Jaws

Replace the F&F ride with a bttf ride.

Tom Morrow

Until Galaxy's Edge and Rise I would have said USF without question, but with it, it's definitely a close call. Ultimately I would go with DHS on the basis that Rise alone is what I think is currently the gold standard for a theme park attraction, and nothing at USF is at that level. Without Rise, I'd probably pick USF.

OG Runner

Until Galaxy's Edge and Rise I would have said USF without question, but with it, it's definitely a close call. Ultimately I would go with DHS on the basis that Rise alone is what I think is currently the gold standard for a theme park attraction, and nothing at USF is at that level. Without Rise, I'd probably pick USF.
I agree with your reasoning, but what at USF would have made your decision "without question" USF. Just wondering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom