Disney's Hollywood Studios testing mobile app pre-ordering at restaurants and during Fantasmic!

WDW1974

What happened to IMMERSION? WDW used to be a way to leave the rest of the world behind. Now everyone has to stay connected through a device. I realize that I am in the minority, but how can I enjoy a THEME park when I don't bother to notice the theme? I do bring my phone with me to the parks now to utilize FP+ out of necessity, but ONLY for that.

A big issue for me as well.

I hear fans talk out of both sides of their mouths on this one. On one hand they say Disney is an escape and they need to shut off the real world while inside the gates and, on the other, they say they need to stay in touch and wind up texting or updating FB or Instagram or Twitter while on African safari.

I believe Disney is simply playing into the LCD. No, on a real African safari, you wouldn't have wi-fi to change your EE FP+ time or make a ressie for dinner Friday night at 'Ohana.

And it is bad ... for the first time in forever (I hear @Lee singing now) I actually was reading a Brooks Barnes PR piece in the NYT on the SW Celebration in Anaheim and even checking this very site out from the new (awful) Hub at the MK recently. No, I didn't have to do either.

Technology can be great, but when it becomes an addiction and a company plays right into it, I don't feel it's a good thing.

WDW1974

Yeah the parks really shouldn't adapt to changes in society or advancements in technology. There should be no cell service at all on property just large banks of pay phones, and while we are at it they should be cash only. I don't want to use plastic at all in the parks. Who wants to be reminded of such modern conveniences while on vacation.

Vacation should be like spending time in a world where progress doesn't exist.
Your hyperbole aside ...
But what happens when technology fundamentally alters a vacation destination in a negative way?

WDW1974

It will of course expand to eliminate the need for a cashier to take the order. I hate that we are seeing the personal contact in the industry but with rising cost and health care we are really left with no choice we have to figure out a way to make money and keep the bottom line in proper shape.

You aren't suggesting that WDW isn't making money or that their labor costs are too high, are you?

Companies want to do away with labor whether it is self checkouts at the Home Depot (have I told you to NEVER buy appliances from them as they engage in outright fraud on a massive level?) or little order your own food machines at Chilli's (that were so annoying I took mine off the table and moved it to another).

Again, people losing jobs because of what some perceive as a great new tech isn't progress to me.

CaptainAmerica

A big issue for me as well.

I hear fans talk out of both sides of their mouths on this one. On one hand they say Disney is an escape and they need to shut off the real world while inside the gates and, on the other, they say they need to stay in touch and wind up texting or updating FB or Instagram or Twitter while on African safari.

I believe Disney is simply playing into the LCD. No, on a real African safari, you wouldn't have wi-fi to change your EE FP+ time or make a ressie for dinner Friday night at 'Ohana.

And it is bad ... for the first time in forever (I hear @Lee singing now) I actually was reading a Brooks Barnes PR piece in the NYT on the SW Celebration in Anaheim and even checking this very site out from the new (awful) Hub at the MK recently. No, I didn't have to do either.

Technology can be great, but when it becomes an addiction and a company plays right into it, I don't feel it's a good thing.
Counterpoint: How much "experiencing the theme" and all that were people doing under the legacy system when they'd be trekking across the Magic Kingdom to retrieve a Fastpass for Big Thunder, then trekking back to Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain standby, then crossing right back to Frontierland to use their Big Thunder Fastpass?

Further, people are going to be doing Instagram and all that regardless of the system Disney has set up. Fully engaging in MM+ doesn't need to take more than five minutes while waiting for your kid to pee.

WDW1974

Just curious, is an integral part of the Disney experience to sit down before Fantasmic to ensure you get good seats and then send a member of your part away for 20-30 minutes to grab food?

This seems like it's giving families or couples or friends an opportunity to spend time together before a show instead of being separated. Is WDW not a place where you are supposed to spend time with those people? Why is technology that is allowing you to do that a bad thing?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about this singular case.

First, I'll admit I have never bought food or drink at Fantasmic. Ever. ...And considering the way you are herded in now that FP+ has been added, you really don't get to pick your seats (at least I didn't last Monday night).

My issues with this are largely: what is Disney ignoring to add this so-called 'enhancement'? Where could those funds have gone instead that would have benefited more folks (and not simply those who don't want to stand in a line for hot dogs and Cokes or beers)? Where is this going (will we enter a 2/3rds empty QSR and be told there is no seating because X number of people ordered their food in advance and now have tables set aside for pickup and consumption?)

It is a slippery slope with Disney (and most companies). They aren't doing this to make things easier on Guests. They are doing this because some consultant told them they'd sell 23% more food and drinks (just a number ... could be anything) with this tech.

gmajew

You aren't suggesting that WDW isn't making money or that their labor costs are too high, are you?

Companies want to do away with labor whether it is self checkouts at the Home Depot (have I told you to NEVER buy appliances from them as they engage in outright fraud on a massive level?) or little order your own food machines at Chilli's (that were so annoying I took mine off the table and moved it to another).

Again, people losing jobs because of what some perceive as a great new tech isn't progress to me.

I will be honest with you here as I value your opinion on a lot of things but when it comes to the cost restaurants and chains are facing you truly don't have an idea what the margins are and what we are facing as an industry.

Restaurants and food margins are far from being good in and industry based on a return of investment. Getting a ten percent profit is not a good return based in the cost of entry these days.

Here is what the facts tell you he average cost of product has increased by nearly 3 times over the past decade. That means everything is up. Labor is up in most states by 20-30 percent because of min wage hikes. You are kidding your self if you think those that were making more then min wage prior to the hikes did not demand raises as well.

This cost can not all be passed on to the consumer just not possible anymore as people don't want to pay 12 bucks for a burger. They get ed.

So how is a an establishment survive? They find ways to cut cost and labor is the best way to do that. That is why you are seeing the table top registers in major chains etc. they have no choice.

And if anyone dares tells me it is my obligation to make sure the people who work for me make a fair wage I agree completely. But I cannot pay that fair wage if I can not support my debt and grow my business and provide a return on my investment.

Business is all about getting a return on investment and part of that return is giving back to your employees but the company has to make a return as well.

Disney is putti in place tech that one is expected in venues these days as you like to say they are trying to keep the people happy. You may not care about this service but I am willing to bet those that attend games and events reg see it as a common practice.

Again sorry for my rant but I do value your opinion and love reading your post as you are incredibly knowledgeable in areas but on why restaurants etc are moving to this policy your wrong this time.

WDW1974

Then users un-adopt said technology and it collapses in on itself like a dying star. I suppose we'll see.

How many people die or are seriously injured daily because they attempt to drive while using their smart devices?

I don't think anyone is giving up their tech toys (wonder how many people here already have those ridiculous Apple Watches, with Mickey featured prominently in the advertising) at this point. It's an addiction. I don't know ho many times I had to jump to the side or move quickly because someone was walking around WDW with their face buried in a screen. It may just be me fighting a losing battle, but I don't see how they're getting maximum enjoyment out of WDW when they're ignoring it!

jakeman

First, I'll admit I have never bought food or drink at Fantasmic. Ever. ...And considering the way you are herded in now that FP+ has been added, you really don't get to pick your seats (at least I didn't last Monday night).

My issues with this are largely: what is Disney ignoring to add this so-called 'enhancement'? Where could those funds have gone instead that would have benefited more folks (and not simply those who don't want to stand in a line for hot dogs and Cokes or beers)? Where is this going (will we enter a 2/3rds empty QSR and be told there is no seating because X number of people ordered their food in advance and now have tables set aside for pickup and consumption?)

It is a slippery slope with Disney (and most companies). They aren't doing this to make things easier on Guests. They are doing this because some consultant told them they'd sell 23% more food and drinks (just a number ... could be anything) with this tech.
But that's not your issue in your original post. Your issue was that this technology is enabling lazy people and going against the purpose of WDW. My point was that doesn't this bit of technology support the "spending time with others" mission of WDW?

WDW1974

Counterpoint: How much "experiencing the theme" and all that were people doing under the legacy system when they'd be trekking across the Magic Kingdom to retrieve a Fastpass for Big Thunder, then trekking back to Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain standby, then crossing right back to Frontierland to use their Big Thunder Fastpass?

I don't disagree. I've never liked FP, always thought it overhyped and underdelivered. And the whole system is why the MK absolutely is no longer a theme park, but a bunch of Disney-BRANDED experiences. No one experiences Frontierland. They ride one of the mountains and then head to Fantasyland for their FP for 7DMT or PPF.

FP fundamentally altered the way Guests experience the park (all of them really, but the worst affect is at MK by far). You aren't immersed in anything but the Disney BRAND at the MK. I recall you saying somewhere that you are in your 20s. Considering FP debuted in 1999, that means for most of your life/visits to WDW, you only know of things that one way.

Further, people are going to be doing Instagram and all that regardless of the system Disney has set up. Fully engaging in MM+ doesn't need to take more than five minutes while waiting for your kid to pee.

Well, they wouldn't be if they had trouble getting online and staying online. But that boat has sailed ... so next time you sail with the PotC, don't be surprised if that dark cavern is illuminated by some Twit posting her picture of her brat with Pooh at the lunch they just ate!

WDW1974

I will be honest with you here as I value your opinion on a lot of things but when it comes to the cost restaurants and chains are facing you truly don't have an idea what the margins are and what we are facing as an industry.

Restaurants and food margins are far from being good in and industry based on a return of investment. Getting a ten percent profit is not a good return based in the cost of entry these days.

Here is what the facts tell you he average cost of product has increased by nearly 3 times over the past decade. That means everything is up. Labor is up in most states by 20-30 percent because of min wage hikes. You are kidding your self if you think those that were making more then min wage prior to the hikes did not demand raises as well.

This cost can not all be passed on to the consumer just not possible anymore as people don't want to pay 12 bucks for a burger. They get ****ed.

So how is a an establishment survive? They find ways to cut cost and labor is the best way to do that. That is why you are seeing the table top registers in major chains etc. they have no choice.

And if anyone dares tells me it is my obligation to make sure the people who work for me make a fair wage I agree completely. But I cannot pay that fair wage if I can not support my debt and grow my business and provide a return on my investment.

Business is all about getting a return on investment and part of that return is giving back to your employees but the company has to make a return as well.

Disney is putti in place tech that one is expected in venues these days as you like to say they are trying to keep the people happy. You may not care about this service but I am willing to bet those that attend games and events reg see it as a common practice.

Again sorry for my rant but I do value your opinion and love reading your post as you are incredibly knowledgeable in areas but on why restaurants etc are moving to this policy your wrong this time.

I know far more than you believe. I've actually done some work for major chains in the USA ... dining chains. Really.

But my point isn't about the industry as a whole. You are absolutely right about the costs going up. He ll, anyone who buys food in the USA, whether at a grocery store or a restaurant, knows this.

My point was that Disney isn't hurting at all. Your margins and Disney's are vastly different. Much like Walmart and a mom and pop operator.

gmajew

I know far more than you believe. I've actually done some work for major chains in the USA ... dining chains. Really.

That is great but so have I and I do day in and day out. I am hired and brought in as a consultant continually for some of the biggest chains in all segments.

So believe me I know what the buying power is for these groups. Even with their great buying power the cost of beef for example still went way the heck up for them like everyone else

WDW1974

But that's not your issue in your original post. Your issue was that this technology is enabling lazy people and going against the purpose of WDW. My point was that doesn't this bit of technology support the "spending time with others" mission of WDW?

Maybe my 'issue' changed. Maybe I posted something on the fly. Should I go back and remove it because you think it hurts my BRAND?!?! I will if you tell me as you're my social media consultant!

But when did WDW's mission become ''spending time with others''? I thought Disney was a business? And, largely, I don't care about this tech. I care that Disney believes making it easier to buy hot dogs and beer is what they should be focusing on and not say ... actually adding things to a park that is so woefully short of things to do that it would never last on its own in any city without the name DISNEY stuck on it.

There actually was a time when you didn't go to The Disney-MGM Studios for 3-4-5 hours and do everything you possibly desired.

I think it was still like that back in your CP days. You know, before vast swaths of the park were shut down, back when there was a daily parade and stage shows as well ... FP+ is really perfect for this park because for most people there really aren't more than three attractions they really feel like doing!

WDW1974

That is great but so have I and I do day in and day out. I am hired and brought in as a consultant continually for some of the biggest chains in all segments.

So believe me I know what the buying power is for these groups. Even with their great buying power the cost of beef for example still went way the heck up for them like everyone else

And no one is denying this. So, what's your point? Do you think Disney isn't making a blankload of money on F&B? Do you think they're losing money on $45 a la carte lunch steaks when other companies, including their top competitor, can make money selling higher quality beef for less than half that price?

jakeman

Maybe my 'issue' changed. Maybe I posted something on the fly. Should I go back and remove it because you think it hurts my BRAND?!?! I will if you tell me as you're my social media consultant!

But when did WDW's mission become ''spending time with others''? I thought Disney was a business? And, largely, I don't care about this tech. I care that Disney believes making it easier to buy hot dogs and beer is what they should be focusing on and not say ... actually adding things to a park that is so woefully short of things to do that it would never last on its own in any city without the name DISNEY stuck on it.

There actually was a time when you didn't go to The Disney-MGM Studios for 3-4-5 hours and do everything you possibly desired.

I think it was still like that back in your CP days. You know, before vast swaths of the park were shut down, back when there was a daily parade and stage shows as well ... FP+ is really perfect for this park because for most people there really aren't more than three attractions they really feel like doing!
That's quite the response to a simple question clarifying your issue.

So I take it that your original point may have been misstated?

WDW1974

That's quite the response to a simple question clarifying your issue.

So I take it that your original point may have been misstated?

No, Jake. I said what was on my mind when I posted it. I didn't go back and remove it simply because I thought more on the subject.

That's it.

Now, do you have any response to the post or are you just looking to harm my BRAND?:coldfeet::eek::mad:

gmajew

And no one is denying this. So, what's your point? Do you think Disney isn't making a blankload of money on F&B? Do you think they're losing money on $45 a la carte lunch steaks when other companies, including their top competitor, can make money selling higher quality beef for less than half that price?

Of course we all make money it is a business..... But I can assure your their margins are down like everyone else in the industry. That is my point.

And the place down the road you are talking about is making less of a margin then that but they do it so people can talk about it and how great they are compared to competition.

I have a competitor that offers the same meal I do for half the price. It is almost identical but it was my signature dish in one of my establishments. They do it just to have people ding me for my price.

No different then a match price promo in retail stores.

CaptainAmerica

How many people die or are seriously injured daily because they attempt to drive while using their smart devices?

I don't think anyone is giving up their tech toys (wonder how many people here already have those ridiculous Apple Watches, with Mickey featured prominently in the advertising) at this point. It's an addiction. I don't know ho many times I had to jump to the side or move quickly because someone was walking around WDW with their face buried in a screen. It may just be me fighting a losing battle, but I don't see how they're getting maximum enjoyment out of WDW when they're ignoring it!
Oh I agree. My point was simply that engaging in MDX is a very small piece of the problem, even within the bubble.

WDW1974

Of course we all make money it is a business..... But I can assure your their margins are down like everyone else in the industry. That is my point.

And the place down the road you are talking about is making less of a margin then that but they do it so people can talk about it and how great they are compared to competition.

I have a competitor that offers the same meal I do for half the price. It is almost identical but it was my signature dish in one of my establishments. They do it just to have people ding me for my price.

No different then a match price promo in retail stores.

Again, you didn't answer my question (sorry to be pushy, but others demand that I respond to their every utterance so I am just doing likewise).

Is Disney suffering? Are they in trouble with their obscenely priced beef? Or have they simply raised prices to more than cover the fact that beef (and everything else) is costlier. Do I have to bring in poor @ParentsOf4 to quote Disney's own fiscal docs that show a rise in revenue and profits based on increased Guest spending on things like ... food and beverage?

Oh, and are you suggesting that UNI is losing money on their under $20 steak at Mythos?

jakeman

No, Jake. I said what was on my mind when I posted it. I didn't go back and remove it simply because I thought more on the subject.

That's it.

Now, do you have any response to the post or are you just looking to harm my BRAND?:coldfeet::eek::mad:
I'm just seeking clarification if your original opinion holds true that this is for lazy people or can you acknowledge that this singular piece of technology could potentially improve the guest experience by allow families or friends to spend more time together instead of some of them waiting in line for food?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom