Disney's Hollywood Studios testing mobile app pre-ordering at restaurants and during Fantasmic!

gmajew

So, we are down (up?) to pre-ordering hot dogs, pretzels and popcorn at a show? Right? I'm not missing something?

This isn't how WDW is supposed to work. This is insanity at play for lazy people and people who use tech for everything except wiping their tushes. Really. Just really.

First this technology is incredibly cool and becoming extremely popular in the restaurant industry. It is being used In Fast Casual restaurants now to run food to the table once you have ordered it.

It will of course expand to eliminate the need for a cashier to take the order. I hate that we are seeing the personal contact in the industry but with rising cost and health care we are really left with no choice we have to figure out a way to make money and keep the bottom line in proper shape.

The entire get your stuff at Fanstasmic is a little much but arena are doing it across the country because it is a labor savings. Instead of having vendors walking around you have food runners. It is able to track your direct to your seat you have payment with no shortages and you get people to spend more.

It has been proven that people buy more food through the app as they tend to forget all they ordered.... I know stupid but it is true.

jakeman

So, we are down (up?) to pre-ordering hot dogs, pretzels and popcorn at a show? Right? I'm not missing something?

This isn't how WDW is supposed to work. This is insanity at play for lazy people and people who use tech for everything except wiping their tushes. Really. Just really.
Just curious, is an integral part of the Disney experience to sit down before Fantasmic to ensure you get good seats and then send a member of your part away for 20-30 minutes to grab food?

This seems like it's giving families or couples or friends an opportunity to spend time together before a show instead of being separated. Is WDW not a place where you are supposed to spend time with those people? Why is technology that is allowing you to do that a bad thing?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about this singular case.

michael.fumc

Who doesn't use tush wiping technology? It is my favorite app on my iphone;);)

HRHPrincessAriel

WDW isn't the first nor the last to use this...it's just the way of the world right now. If they held out on using it then people would get upset that they were the last man standing. They can't win for losing.

How is it much different than the movie theatres where I tap a little button and they bring me beer? Those have been around for quite some time.

EDIT: This made me crave Panera. I'll be picking up my order at 12:10 today ;-)

Last edited:

BJones82

Does the technology work that way with out installing senors all over the amphitheater?

I am fairly certain they would need to install sensors, that being said it would be much more precise given how accurate delivery in Be Our Guest seems to be. RFID location is more accurate than GPS on a cell phone in it's current state I believe but I would have to look into the technologies much more than I desire at this moment to be able to provide sources lol...

BJones82

How is it much different than the movie theatres where I tap a little button and they bring me beer? Those have been around for quite some time.

I am assuming this button is hard wired to a seat? That is how it is different, a hard wired button is very easy to get a location from, you just say it is the button for seat C in row 4. Getting the seat location based off an RFID tag or Cell Phone is much more complicated though I agree it is not a new concept and once you do it once the concept doesn't change just some of the details might change...

All of that being said though I am glad to see them continue to introduce technology in the park in a way that can make things convenient but not in a way where you HAVE to use it or you lose out...

StarWarsGirl

Love this idea, especially for QS locations.

Seems like it will reduce congestion in restaurants while increasing convenience to guests if they integrate this across the property.

As for those who prefer immersion, that's okay. You can go wait in line for your food and deal with the Brazillian tour groups getting lunch. I'll order from my phone, ride Star Tours, sit on a bench and enjoy the atmosphere...and then skip the line and get my food.

Marklodi

I am fairly certain they would need to install sensors, that being said it would be much more precise given how accurate delivery in Be Our Guest seems to be. RFID location is more accurate than GPS on a cell phone in it's current state I believe but I would have to look into the technologies much more than I desire at this moment to be able to provide sources lol...

Just a note here: The app uses Bluetooth LE (low energy) and requires it to be turned on, along with location services on your mobile device. I believe (could be wrong) that the combination of those two services allows them to narrow down your location to a fairly small spot without requiring any additional sensors. It's all handled through cell tech and bluetooth connectivity.

By the way, VenueNext - the maker of this app - is an SF startup created by the 49ers for the new Levi Stadium. http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Levi-s-Stadium-app-spawns-49ers-backed-tech-5765459.php

BJones82

Again, just a theory.

Initially for testing I would completely agree but I would expect if they decide to make it permanent in WDW that it will be added to MDE, it's poor form from a development standpoint to expect guests to install and use multiple apps in a park and would be setup for failure in the long run, but for testing it is not bad at all...

michael.fumc

Just curious, is an integral part of the Disney experience to sit down before Fantasmic to ensure you get good seats and then send a member of your part away for 20-30 minutes to grab food?

This seems like it's giving families or couples or friends an opportunity to spend time together before a show instead of being separated. Is WDW not a place where you are supposed to spend time with those people? Why is technology that is allowing you to do that a bad thing?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about this singular case.
I agree I think this is a great use of this tech, Famtasmic is always a crowded show, we always have to get our seat then my wife or I take one or two of my children to go get food, now we can all just be together

BJones82

Just a note here: The app uses Bluetooth LE (low energy) and requires it to be turned on, along with location services on your mobile device. I believe (could be wrong) that the combination of those two services allows them to narrow down your location to a fairly small spot without requiring any additional sensors. It's all handled through cell tech and Bluetooth connectivity.

I am not sure in this specific case so you could be correct with how they are using the app to locate guests. That being said in the future if this becomes permanent using RFID on a magic band would be more precise than phone location and Bluetooth but it would be a way that slowly people would be forced into using the magic bands so if you are correct in how the locations are being found then they probably will not use the MBs in the future. In BoG they can at least give you those roses if you don't have a MB, this would not be an option in this situation though. I would like to see an either or option but as long as it works and is easy for everyone I guess it doesn't matter lol and I should just enjoy it instead of trying to tear it down and figure out how to improve it lol...

PhotoDave219

Not familiar with that setup. Does it use p

From the user perspective, which is all that really counts here, they pay through the app. Everything is handled inside the Express Order app.

On delivery, the CM confirms the order with the guest.

MCI Center went with the same concept of food delivery to your seats. Back then it was a waitress with a handheld device that took your order. That was only if you bought the expensive seats.

These days, You can do the same thing - in-app food ordering - at some baseball stadiums (Like Citizen's Bank Park in Philadelphia) and have it delivered to your seats. All ordering and payment was done through the app.

Its a positive change for Disney. They're keeping up for a change.

lobelia

I'll be impressed when they bring me a diet coke and then a place to go to the bathroom while waiting in the two hour line for TSMM.

But actually, I would use it if there was no up-charge. Call me lazy, whatever, but if I can avoid one more line....

StarWarsGirl

MDE isn't only at WDW. The only other one I know of, though, is Vero Beach. I have a reservation at Vero Beach at Shutters for a character dinner and it is in MDE. (Note- I uploaded a pic but it had all my confirmation numbers on it so I took it off. Don't want anyone changing the quantity of my cinderellas royal table :p)
I'm curious if Aulani's two restaurants are integrated yet. They weren't as of October when I went last.
The Website is the same across the board. Our reservations for Aulani have also been showing up.

However, the app is specific to WDW.

RSoxNo1

I think this is a good "option" to have. This is the new normal and there's nothing wrong with it. As long as it remains an option and not a requirement, it's fine.

When My Magic+ was first rolled out, I said over and over again that I liked the idea of walking into Epcot, getting in line at Spaceship Earth and by the time I boarded the attraction using my phone to order lunch at Sunshine Seasons, get a Fastpass+ for Soarin' and make a dinner reservation in World Showcase.

Kman101

I love the idea of pre-ordering food. I think it's great they're introducing this. I'm not sure about the Fantasmic! food ordering thing, probably wouldn't use it there. Funny how certain things are hated on just to be hated on. This isn't a bad idea at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom