Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Haymarket2008

I kind of like it, but here's the thing: You need to be able to read these park titles without actually saying "Park" at the end. Sure, on paper, it's "The Magic Kingdom Park" and "Disneyland Park" but in real life, it's "The Magic Kingdom" and "Disneyland". You'd also tend to drop "Disney's" off of Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, California Adventure, etc.

So this would be casually referred to as Disney's Cinemagine or just Cinemagine? Might work. Not sure.

Definitely agree. It's......odd.

britain

I’ve written about this before, but it bears repeating:

Not only will the guests not SAY “Park” unless forced to (ie Park is typographically made to be a large, prominent part of the name) there should be a good NOUN that guests DO say:

DisneyLAND
Magic KINGDOM
Universal STUDIOS
ISLANDS of Adventure
California ADVENTURE (Interesting How Adventure flipped there)

These days, it’s just EPCOT, but originally “Center” helped guests wrap their brains around whatever this “Epcot” thing was.

Maybe they think they can just beat a new word like Cinemagine into us with “Park” doing the work that “Center” did.

Again, I really don’t mind Cinemagine, but there’s got to be a better noun than Park.

Cinemagine Place
Cinemagine Land
Cinemagine Kingdom
Cinemagine Center
Cinemagine Central
Cinemagine World
Lands of Cinemagine
Worlds of Cinemagine
Realms of Cinemagine
Cinemagine Adventure

AEfx

Was there an official rumour stating Cinemagine was the move favourable choice? What a horrible word. Cinemagic would have been slightly better. Mixing Cinema and Imagine is such a weird combination.

They can't use Cinemagic - that is already a registered trademark of a regional theater chain (who takes the trademark very seriously).

In fact, "Cinemagine" is so close to "Cinemagic" that I doubt they could actually use it without being challenged, either. You can't change one or two letters to make it okay. Example, McDonalds was able to successfully get a small cafe named "Mitch D's" (the owners name was Mitch, his last name began with a D) to change its name because it was too close to the "McD's" trademark they use. Sound is just as important as spelling.

Not to mention, as others have said - "Cinemagine" just sounds...dumb. You don't want a name that people are going to find confusing, and it just sounds so...try-hard.

I really hope they go simple. I still like the sound of "Disney's Hollywoodland Park" - it has just grown on me.

No Name

Well then I guess that trash survey was real. At the end of the day, any name change is arbitrary because they have nothing new to base a name around. But they can at least pull something decent out of their . Cinemagine is stupid and Park is dry. It may be better than XL Park and half the suggestions I've read in this thread, but it's still horrible. It makes Hollywood Adventure look good. Maybe that's their idea?

Again, this is change for the sake of change. Hollywood Studios works just fine.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well then I guess that trash survey was real. At the end of the day, any name change is arbitrary because they have nothing new to base a name around. But they can at least pull something decent out of their *****. Cinemagine is stupid and Park is dry. It may be better than XL Park and half the suggestions I've read in this thread, but it's still horrible. It makes Hollywood Adventure look good. Maybe that's their idea?

Again, this is change for the sake of change. Hollywood Studios works just fine.
Well, park is what's used for everything. Magic Kingdom is officially "Magic Kingdom Park". Animal Kingdom is "Disney Animal Kingdom Park". Disneyland is "Disneyland Park". Only Epcot and DHS don't currently have 'park' in their official names.

VJ

RK23nRT.gif

I heard they will have very themed toilets...
including random YEEHAS every time you flush.
"THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT!"
"Somebody's poisoned the water hole!"

No Name

Well, park is what's used for everything. Magic Kingdom is officially "Magic Kingdom Park". Animal Kingdom is "Disney Animal Kingdom Park". Disneyland is "Disneyland Park". Only Epcot and DHS don't currently have 'park' in their official names.

Magic Kingdom is not officially "Magic Kingdom Park." Nor is Animal Kingdom.

Regardless, the difference is there's always a word before Park that denotes place. Even though your trash MDE app may read Magic Kingdom Park or Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, do you call it that verbally? Would you ever say "Hey kids, today we're going to Magic Kingdom Park!"? No, because the word Kingdom already denotes place. The word Magic is an adjective.

The difference with Disney('s) Cinemagine Park is that there's no other word that denotes place, so Park must fill that role. "Hey Kids, today we're going to Cinemagine!" doesn't sound right, instead you would naturally include Park in everyday speak.

I cannot think of a single major theme park for which that's the case.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Magic Kingdom is not officially "Magic Kingdom Park." Nor is Animal Kingdom.

Regardless, the difference is there's always a word before Park that denotes place. Even though your trash MDE app may read Magic Kingdom Park or Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, do you call it that verbally? Would you ever say "Hey kids, today we're going to Magic Kingdom Park!"? No, because the word Kingdom already denotes place. The word Magic is an adjective.

The difference with Disney('s) Cinemagine Park is that there's no other word that denotes place, so Park must fill that role. "Hey Kids, today we're going to Cinemagine!" doesn't sound right, instead you would naturally include Park in everyday speak.

I cannot think of a single major theme park for which that's the case.
Oh I agree that you don't call it that verbally.. I'm just saying that is how Disney refers to it in it's literature, so it is official.

And Epcot is an example. Sure, it was Epcot Center, but even as a kid in the 80s I never knew anyone who referred to it as that - it was always EPCOT. I suspect most will refer to this new name (if the rumor is true) as simply Cinemagine. Hopefully saner heads will prevail.

No Name

Oh I agree that you don't call it that verbally.. I'm just saying that is how Disney refers to it in it's literature, so it is official.

Look, I won't argue further about what's official. The great Michael Damman Eisner decreed the park Disney's Animal Kingdom. Those are the words engraved on the plaque and no name change was decreed since. That seems more official than what they refer to it as half the time in text. But alas, if you disagree, I don't care.

I just hope Bob Iger doesn't rededicate DHS. It's disrespectful and completely uncalled for.

And Epcot is an example. Sure, it was Epcot Center, but even as a kid in the 80s I never knew anyone who referred to it as that - it was always EPCOT. I suspect most will refer to this new name (if the rumor is true) as simply Cinemagine. Hopefully saner heads will prevail.

At least EPCOT makes sense and sounds right as a place. I just can't imagine the same happening for Cinemagine. And we'll hopefully never find out.

Haymarket2008

Look, I won't argue further about what's official. The great Michael Damman Eisner decreed the park Disney's Animal Kingdom. Those are the words engraved on the plaque and no name change was decreed since. That seems more official than what they refer to it as half the time in text. But alas, if you disagree, I don't care.

I just hope Bob Iger doesn't rededicate DHS. It's disrespectful and completely uncalled for.

At least EPCOT makes sense and sounds right as a place. I just can't imagine the same happening for Cinemagine. And we'll hopefully never find out.

I don't want a new name either, but Iger confirmed it is coming. So I would, personally, be shocked if there wasn't a full fledged re-dedication.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom