Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

HMF

Just brought up in another thread:

The park's public spaces are consistently linked to Hollywood (cf. the new Grand Ave. area). And the park is consistently bringing in IP from various movie studios that Disney owns (Disney, Pixar, LucasFilm, maybe a little Marvel).

So... Disney Hollywood Studios is now the best name for the park. It's about going into the movies produced by the various Disney movie studios set in Hollywood.
This would be a great way to organize the park but sadly they are getting rid of any overarching concept in lieu of IP-based lands

BD-Anaheim

Universal Studios Florida does about as minimal filming as possible these days and it's not a park about film-making anymore, but you don't see them taking "Studios" out of their name.

Universal Studios (in name) has brand recognition recognized the world over. The inception of the Uni parks was, in fact, the studios that existed beforehand. They have absolutely no reason to change the name.

britain

If this deal had gone down 10 years ago I’m sure we would be visiting Disney-Fox Studios Theme Park.

20 years ago, and chances are we’d also have that Hotel Mel rather than ToT (since Fox made all of Mel Brooks films).

I doubt Shirley Temple’s “The Blue Bird” would be a better finale for the Great Movie Ride than Oz though.

Next Big Thing

Universal Studios (in name) has brand recognition recognized the world over. The inception of the Uni parks was, in fact, the studios that existed beforehand. They have absolutely no reason to change the name.
I get that, but my point is there's no reason for DHS to need to change it's name. The name really is pretty perfect in terms of where the park is heading.

AEfx

Magicart87! I think that Grand Adventure could work and a great name I love that name Disney's Grand Adventure I hope!

It won't have Adventure in the name, I would be willing to bet an annual pass on it. They are not going to change the name of their "Studios" park, which has been confused with the "Studios" park up the road for the last quarter century, by renaming it with something containing the word "Adventures" only to continue being confused with the other park up the road.

And because I know it generally comes up around this time, it also won't have "Cinemagic" in it, either, as that is a registered trademark of a U.S. regional theater chain.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It won't have Adventure in the name, I would be willing to bet an annual pass on it. They are not going to change the name of their "Studios" park, which has been confused with the "Studios" park up the road for the last quarter century, by renaming it with something containing the word "Adventures" only to continue being confused with the other park up the road.

And because I know it generally comes up around this time, it also won't have "Cinemagic" in it, either, as that is a registered trademark of a U.S. regional theater chain.

Careful with those words. Someone might take you up on that offer.

mikejs78

Premium Member
A lot of the newer marketing materials tend to use the phrase “adventure” in them so I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see it called Disney’s Hollywood Adventure.

Just look at the post about the new music updates from Disney. It mentions adventure in there a couple times.

And they seem to be pushing both the 'immerse in your favorite worlds' and 'old school Hollywood' themes, so Disney Hollywood Adventure seems to make a lot of sense.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And they seem to be pushing both the 'immerse in your favorite worlds' and 'old school Hollywood' themes, so Disney Hollywood Adventure seems to make a lot of sense.

If the favorite worlds are from the various Disney movie studios and the public space is Hollywood, then the best description would be "Disney Hollywood Studios."

🤷

Timothy_Q

If the favorite worlds are from the various Disney movie studios and the public space is Hollywood, then the best description would be "Disney Hollywood Studios."

🤷

“Studios” refers to the theme of movie-making and the idea of going behind the scenes, not to the fact that the rides are based on Disney studio films.

By your definition, Magic Kingdom should have studios in its name. And pretty much every other Disney park too.

No Name

I'm still waiting for Epcot to be renamed. Or maybe a name is a name and should be allowed to grow on.

You must be young. They used the word "Studios" intentionally to associate with Universal's style of park, and to directly beat them out.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm still waiting for Epcot to be renamed. Or maybe a name is a name and should be allowed to grow on.

They won't change Epcot's name too substantially, the Epcot name is too iconic. Since their goal is to make Epcot 'More Disney', and they seem to like to append park to everything, I suspect a change to something like Disney Epcot Park or even Disney Epcot Center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom