Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

kucarachi

I wouldn't put much stock in that site. They seem to be taking some facts, adding their own twists and rumors, and throwing it out there to see what sticks.

Well maybe but nothing said was outrageous or completely nonsensical. I like almost everything they suggested which is why i am most likely rumor blind right now.

flyerjab

I read that as well. Like you said the only thing changing is what they are showing on the movie screens, not the ride itself. So they obviously aren't putting any real money into that ride which tells me they just want to get a few more miles out of it before they do something else? They were also to bring back the search lights, which to me is what the real standout hollywood part of the whole park. you can check it out here and make up your own minds as to how true any of it is.

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2014/08/10/major-overhaul-coming-to-hollywood-studios

That site is (for the most part) a site that posts Disney rumors from other sources. Actually, in many cases, the rumors are from this site and the owner typically will always link the rumor to the person that revealed it. The individual that runs that site is an active forum member on wdwmagic.

FrankLapidus

Well maybe but nothing said was outrageous or completely nonsensical. I like almost everything they suggested which is why i am most likely rumor blind right now.

Anything Star Wars/Pixar-related is in the realm of possibility/likelihood. I'd take anything outside of that with a large grain of salt.

Matt_Black

We'll definitely get something GotG at some point, even if it's just a meet & greet. Between the huge success of the first film, the upcoming animated series, and the sequel, it would be foolish to not capitalize on one of the few Marvel groups that they can seemingly use free and clear.

SirLink

We'll definitely get something GotG at some point, even if it's just a meet & greet. Between the huge success of the first film, the upcoming animated series, and the sequel, it would be foolish to not capitalize on one of the few Marvel groups that they can seemingly use free and clear.

You may see the characters appear at a Dance Party which is a 'distraction' you won't receive a M+G an 'attraction' or ride 'Attraction'. Comcast would be up in arms hence why Starlord appeared at the DHS at a dance party and didn't get a full M+G at the DHS 'Friday 13th' event last September.

N.B. Note lowercase 'a' and uppercase 'A'

Otterhead

I read that as well. Like you said the only thing changing is what they are showing on the movie screens, not the ride itself.
No, I said they were starting with the movie screens. They also just replaced all of the speakers and have been fixing show effects, and are putting new signage up. We don't know yet how much TCM is putting into the Movie Ride, but they're partnering with Disney on it; I wouldn't be at all surprised if they replace some of the long-broken or underdone scenes in that ride to freshen it up. It's still quite popular, and frankly, it wouldn't make much sense for the 'centerpiece' ride of Hollywood Studios to be a single quickly dated Marvel property.

Matt_Black

You may see the characters appear at a Dance Party which is a 'distraction' you won't receive a M+G an 'attraction' or ride 'Attraction'. Comcast would be up in arms hence why Starlord appeared at the DHS at a dance party and didn't get a full M+G at the DHS 'Friday 13th' event last September.

N.B. Note lowercase 'a' and uppercase 'A'

Well, they're still cleared for Big Hero 6.

kucarachi

Great Movie Ride just got a new partner/sponsor (TCM) and will be refurbing & updating soon, starting with the pre-show and outro movies. It's not going away anytime soon.

This would be in 2020 or 2021, so maybe they are shining it up for one last run. Once again just rumors but they want to do this last when the pixar/star wars lands are completed and can be streamlined in with whatever they do with the great movie ride for the 50th anniversary of walt disney world and one can only assume it would have to have star wars and pixar scenes in it at that point.

DisneyGentleman

I wouldn't put much stock in that site. They seem to be taking some facts, adding their own twists and rumors, and throwing it out there to see what sticks.
Just read down the page and see how far-off the mark past predictions have landed.

I have better aim in Midway Mania, and that's pretty bad.

lazyboy97o

Big Hero 6 was also treated more like any other amwritten work for which the screen rights were acquired than it was a Marvel film.

Characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are all part of the Marvel brand and film franchise. Disney can't used the Marvel name at Walt Disney World even if they do bring in the characters not in use at Islands of Adventure.

doctornick

What would be the rationale for Comcast to be "up in arms"? Of what "family" of an existing character in use at Uni is Starlord and the other Guardians part?

Furthermore, if Comcast would have a problem with Disney using the GotG in their parks, they wouldn't have allowed either the dance party or the movie preview much like they protesting the Avengers monorail from being on the Epcot loop. Comcast didn't protest because (based on the contract) they don't seem to have any basis for preventing GotG from being used at WDW.

Last edited:

SirLink

That is a WDAS production. It had zero involvement as well as zero Marvel branding, pretty much a ground up re-imagining bar some some of the character names staying the same.

GotG is a Marvel Studios film. Hell of a difference.

SirLink

What would be the rationale for Comcast to be "up in arms"? Of what "family" of an existing character in use at Uni is Starload and the other Guardians part?

Furthermore, if Comcast would have a problem with Disney using the GotG in their parks, they wouldn't have allowed either the dance party or the movie preview much like they protesting the Avengers monorail from being on the Epcot loop. Comcast didn't protest because (based on the contract) they don't seem to have any basis for preventing GotG from being used at WDW.

The dance party wasn't an attraction, it was a distraction. Funny that they didn't do a StarLord Meet & Greet at Studios considering 'it doesn't belong to family ____'. Plus Starlord has appeared in Avengers comics so .... plus they have probably appeared in Fantastic Four comics.

odmichael

PUrG1wE.jpg

doctornick

The dance party wasn't an attraction, it was a distraction. Funny that they didn't do a StarLord Meet & Greet at Studios considering 'it doesn't belong to family ____'. Plus Starlord has appeared in Avengers comics so .... plus they have probably appeared in Fantastic Four comics.

And? Nothing you have said means anything. If they weren't allowed to use GotG in the parks they wouldn't have been able to use GotG in the parks. But they did. If they were part of the "family" of something from Uni, Comcast would have already thrown a fit and had a legal injunction.

There's a lot of stuff that WDW could use but don't. That doesn't indicate that they can't use them. They don't have Chewbacca meeting guests at WDW either, does that mean they legally can't use him?

SirLink

And? Nothing you have said means anything. If they weren't allowed to use GotG in the parks they wouldn't have been able to use GotG in the parks. But they did. If they were part of the "family" of something from Uni, Comcast would have already thrown a fit and had a legal injunction.

There's a lot of stuff that WDW could use but don't. That doesn't indicate that they can't use them. They don't have Chewbacca meeting guests at WDW either, does that mean they legally can't use him?

Twisting words. The two characters that came out at that dance party weren't announced. Why didn't Disney do a Star Lord M+G at the party? It was Disney testing the water ... and instead more than likely threatened by a Comcast lawyer. I would be shocked if Disney would do something so stupid again.

Matt_Black

What would be the rationale for Comcast to be "up in arms"? Of what "family" of an existing character in use at Uni is Starlord and the other Guardians part?

A while back, someone tried to make the argument that since the Guardians were honorary Avengers (to be fair, who in Marvel isn't a current, former, reserve, or honorary Avenger at this point?), they would have been forbidden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom