Disney's Hollywood Studios likely to become Disney Hollywood Studios

smm914

This is not only happening at the parks. Anybody pick up a copy of the new Alice in Wonderland? On the front cover is says "Disney Alice and Wonderland" Disney is slightly smaller than the title and placed above it of course. But it definitely struck me as strange when I first noticed it.

ttalovebug

Grammar's a thing of the past. This will appeal to a younger, hip-er generation!! :lol:

I know this really isn't so much a grammar issue as a marketing technique, but it's just one of those "Why?" cases. Is it really that important to have the word Disney in front of everything, apostrophe-less or not? For instance, when the buses have the name of their destination displayed across the front, they say Disney's Coranado Springs or Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. We know we're in Disney. And for those who still don't know, there's no helping them.

jakeman

I won't cast stones because I know I've gotten worked up over less, but I just don't see how this is a big deal. I also find it funny how a couple of years ago people said "I'll always call it MGM" when the first name change occurred, and already there has been a significant enough shift (for some) that they'll always call it Disney's Hollywood Studios.

For what it's worth, there is nothing grammatically incorrect about the potential new name.
I agree.

I can't seem to get worked up over this one.

Mouse Detective

Keep in mind that that 's possessive is an English language thing. As more and more guests appear to be coming from other countries that don't have English as the main language, it might make sense to eliminate the possessive. I can recall eating at Wendy's in Germany about ten years ago and the restaurant there was just called Wendy.

trr1

This is not only happening at the parks. Anybody pick up a copy of the new Alice in Wonderland? On the front cover is says "Disney Alice in Wonderland" Disney is slightly smaller than the title and placed above it of course. But it definitely struck me as strange when I first noticed it.
what a strange name for a girl

Captain Chaos

I just picked up my copies of Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio and.. Oh the horror.. the box title reads: WALT DISNEY SLEEPING BEAUTY... WALT DISNEY PINOCCHIO.... My Monster's Inc. DVD says DISNEY/PIXAR MONSTER'S INC... Ohh the humanity!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

hazelrah

The word on the street is that Disney's Hollywood Studios will soon be renamed Prince Charming Hollywood Studios. They are currently finalizing a backstory. It will have no actual point or effect on anything at all, but will cost several million dollars to change all the signage.

Why not just call the places by their names and drop "disney" altogether? It's already obvious that it's disney's animal kingdom, california adventure, etc. So why not just call it what it is. They don't call it disney's magic kingdom, disney's epcot, or disney's disneyland.

I kind of think that's what they're doing. We're used to the possessive ("Disney'S") but I don't see this as a big deal (dropping the 's). I mean, think about McDonalds... they don't say it's McDonalds's Big Mac... it's just a Big Mac.

(Am I making any sense here???) :hammer:

Bottom line, for me, I'm ok with dropping the 's.

Judy :)

mpaul32001

I kind of think that's what they're doing. We're used to the possessive ("Disney'S") but I don't see this as a big deal (dropping the 's). I mean, think about McDonalds... they don't say it's McDonalds's Big Mac... it's just a Big Mac.

(Am I making any sense here???) :hammer:

Bottom line, for me, I'm ok with dropping the 's.

Judy :)

I hate to be one of those people, but I think it would be McDonalds' Big Mac... :p

And I need to go read this thread back, but I don't know if I can picture them changing all the signage after they just got done. Then again painting over an 's shouldn't be too hard should it?

DisKid

This is not only happening at the parks. Anybody pick up a copy of the new Alice in Wonderland? On the front cover is says "Disney Alice and Wonderland" Disney is slightly smaller than the title and placed above it of course. But it definitely struck me as strange when I first noticed it.

This is exactly what I was going to point out... It used to be the movies were released saying "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" and now it's just reduced to "Disney" which is very informal and tacky...I really HATE this change even though in the grand scheme of things it might not be very big...but all of the little changes add up.

(It's almost like Jay Rasulo and his goal of cheap generic branding is behind all of this..)

Grlwonder

The word on the street is that Disney's Hollywood Studios will soon be renamed Prince Charming Hollywood Studios. They are currently finalizing a backstory. It will have no actual point or effect on anything at all, but will cost several million dollars to change all the signage.

:ROFLOL:eek:h wow that made me laugh. Who knows maybe they will find someone to make a backstory about why it's now "Disney" not "Disney's."

It really is something stupid. One thing for me is that no matter how they change it, it's still going to be part of the Disney Company. Disney California Adventue, Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney's CA, whatever it is, it's still going to be California Adventures. This to me is just a wast of time. When I am talking about Disney, all I say is "Magic Kingdom" or "Hollywood Studios" and people know exactly what I am talking about. We all know it's a Disney park, so there is no need to mess around with it.:mad:

smm914

Keep in mind that that 's possessive is an English language thing. As more and more guests appear to be coming from other countries that don't have English as the main language, it might make sense to eliminate the possessive. I can recall eating at Wendy's in Germany about ten years ago and the restaurant there was just called Wendy.

Actually, I think you may have cracked it. That's probably THE reason for the change, it makes a lot of sense.

But I still don't like it :mad:

lazyboy97o

Unless trends have changed, English is still growing, particularly as a second language. That means that more and more of these visitors are going to be familiar with English and its grammar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom