Disney's Cultural Faux Pas

Number_6

As far as I know, the policy on weapon purchases is that they will ship it to your home so you have no problems on your flight back.

brich

Here's the real humor. Disney has a policy on weapon purchases. Hey, wait. That's not really that funny. That's a little insane!
:eek:

Indy95

I'm sure that Disney has policies on things we've never even heard of before, and probably never will. That would be interesting to buy a sword, knife, or any other weapon from a company that tailors itself primarily to a family audience. (Hey, look what I got at Epcot!). And you'd think they's have the original British copies of Harry Potter, especially since Book 1 was retitled for American release (Philospher's Stone became Sorceror's Stone. And why are they selling these books in the Tower of Terror store??) Anyway, maybe the items sold in other pavilions are big sellers in that particular country. I don't know, the last few years have seen more generic "Resort" T-shirts and the like, you can basically go from park to park and see the exact same merchandise that you see at Downtown Disney. Hopefully this trend will not continue.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Indy95 said:
Anyway, maybe the items sold in other pavilions are big sellers in that particular country. I don't know, the last few years have seen more generic "Resort" T-shirts and the like, you can basically go from park to park and see the exact same merchandise that you see at Downtown Disney. Hopefully this trend will not continue.
The stocking of "Big sellers" in the rest of the Disney stores is fine, but to stock that stuff in a store that is supposed to be a cultural representation of a store you might find in a different country. Come on thats just unexcuseable, that Disney would throw out authenticity, just to make an extra buck. How sad!!

I hope they don't start selling Premium Mickey ice cream pops in the wine shop in the Germany Pavillion.:eek: That would be awful!!

Djali999

In many places, especially China and Japan, the space is leased out to popular retail stores / manufacterers who wish to be represented at Epcot. I'm pretty sure that in many cases Disney doesn't control much of what's in there. I think the areas that Disney does control (Canada, UK, Mexico, etc.) are pretty obviously so...

BeachClubVillas

barnum42 said:
Here is something out of place - American editions of the Harry Potter novels in the UK Pavilion ;)

You are so right!! I was all excited last year because I was convinced I could get a complete set of the British editions in the WS pavillion. Imagina my surprise when I get there and it's the American editions! I too was disappointed in the selection in the stores in the UK pavillion. I was hoping to find collectibles, historical information, things about royalty, but there was none of that. Most of it was American products trying to be British.

I did get a family name history done though. They actually had the right spelling and everything! We spell it Conley, but everyone always thinks it's Connelley or something like that. That was a great collectible to pick up.

Dwarful

I too was disappointed with the selection of items available in the UK pavillion. Had to have friends import things for me from Jersey and England. My little girls adore the Wallace and Grommit shorts (short films) and really thought I could pick up a W & G and a Paddington Bear. But that wasn't the case. Thank goodness for friends and Ebay!

Nora

My husband, who is Austrian, always laughs at the number of Austrian products sold in the Germany pavillion. I guess the purchasing people figure if there is German on the label that is close enough.

mattb

Number_6 said:
As far as I know, the policy on weapon purchases is that they will ship it to your home so you have no problems on your flight back.
At first I thought you said "fight back". I had visions of using the new sword to fight your way through customs or security or whatever.

It's not the videogames, I swear. :lookaroun

lamarvenoy

I have read that Epcot is supposed to be a mindseye representation of the countries. To put it more simply the things YOU would REMEMBER about a trip to the country. That is why the countries have a more universally stereotypical feel. You are supposed to feel like you took a whirlwind trip around the world and you remember more specific things like...the eiffel tower, or the pyramids in Mexico. I think they do a decent job mixing the impulse buy stuff. There are alot of unique items around WS but alot of the same too. I learned this 1st hand when my wife and I looked for a crystal cake topper before we got married. Every crystal store either in Mexico, Main street, or DTD are all run by the Arribas bros. and generally have the same stuff.

FigmentJedi

I have one question to those that went through the Japan shop: Did you see any Bandai Godzilla action figures? I'm just wondering so I can note it for reference next time I go.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
It really isn't much different than the McDonalds and KFC across from Windsor Castle or Pizza Hut in Berlin. There isn't a whole lot of regional uniqueness left.

A little off topic, but when I was on the WDWCP in 2003 there were Sorcerer Mickeys in the Villians Store.... Mickey!!!.... I couldn't believe it.
Ah well...

Sorry for the topic digression....

barnum42

Tahu said:
I have one question to those that went through the Japan shop: Did you see any Bandai Godzilla action figures? I'm just wondering so I can note it for reference next time I go.
I don't know about Bandai brand, but I did see at least one Godzilla figure. However the toys do have a hefty Disney tax on them, so you would probably be better off finding a different source.

rosebud's mom

Purple Dragon, you impress me with your sword knowledge. I would never have noticed the difference ! To me, a sword is a sword is a sword. I can recognize a claymore, and know that a katana is curved, a dagger is short, and a rapier is thin. My husband is a weapons expert and that is about as much as he has gotten me to absorb. :lol: :lol:

Of course if there were ever a pavilion representing the Klingon home world I can spot the proper weapons there ! ( Yes, we're Trek fans too !)

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
rosebud's mom said:
Purple Dragon, you impress me with your sword knowledge. I would never have noticed the difference ! To me, a sword is a sword is a sword. I can recognize a claymore, and know that a katana is curved, a dagger is short, and a rapier is thin. My husband is a weapons expert and that is about as much as he has gotten me to absorb. :lol: :lol:

Of course if there were ever a pavilion representing the Klingon home world I can spot the proper weapons there ! ( Yes, we're Trek fans too !)
I am a student of Chinese Martial Arts and Ancient Chinese Philosophy(Taoism). I have studied Kung fu in the past and I am currently practicing Tai-Chi Chuan and Tai-Chi Sword. I am a big fan of Chinese culture as well as ancient eastern weaponry(Japanese and Chinese alike) so my knowledge is I guess a little more than your normal tourist. :animwink:

Thanks for noticing!!:D :wave:

FigmentJedi

barnum42 said:
I don't know about Bandai brand, but I did see at least one Godzilla figure. However the toys do have a hefty Disney tax on them, so you would probably be better off finding a different source.
Only other source in the US I can think of though is at G-Fest, the annual Godzilla fan convention in Chicago, or some online stores. I hope that there's some new Godzilla toys if Final Wars gets to America.

Pippa

I have found the selection of stuff in the UK store quite laughable. A pathetic amount of chocolate by the tills, lots of tea, grandma style smellie things and football shirts. What on earth do people think of the UK based on that!?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Its kind of funny, but I dont ever recall being real concerned that what I was purchasing was actually boxed and shipped from the country I was purchasing it from. Even further, should we go into the resteraunts in the pavillions and expect the food to be shipped from the respective country? I think not. Unfortunatly, EPCOT has reached a level of commercialization that breaches the uniqueness or orriginality element.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
Its kind of funny, but I dont ever recall being real concerned that what I was purchasing was actually boxed and shipped from the country I was purchasing it from. Even further, should we go into the resteraunts in the pavillions and expect the food to be shipped from the respective country? I think not. Unfortunatly, EPCOT has reached a level of commercialization that breaches the uniqueness or orriginality element.
I wouldn't say it would have to be shipped directly from that country, but I would hope that it would be a true representation of the culture from that part of the world, food or otherwise. I wouldn't want to walk into the China exhibit and be able to order a hamburger and fries:eek: , that would just be wrong!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom