Disney's Cultural Faux Pas

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
During my visit to EPCOT last weekend I noticed something that bothered me. In the World Showcase each pavillion has shops displaying and selling items specific to that country right? So what bothered me is that in the shop in the China pavillion they have a display of Chinese Tai-Chi swords. Well sitting right next to it, they have traditional Japanese Samurai Kitana and Tanto swords, and next to those they have Japanese Zatoichi swords. Why is that? They are displaying items from a different country. That is somewhat dimeaning in my opinion, its like saying "Ahh its all Asian anyway, who cares" :eek: I don't think the Chinese diplomats who gave the money for the creation of this pavillion would like to be misrepresented like that, just so Disney can increase sales. Its one thing to sell the same items in multiple places in the rest of WDW, but the WS pavillions are supposed to be true to life cultural representations(past/present) of those countries. I think even selling various Disney themed products in the WS Pavillion is okay, but moving "cultural" items from one pavillion to the next to increase sales is kind of disrespectful in my opinion.

This is just one example, there are numerous other similar issues with other WS pavillions that I have seen in the past. Things like:
Selling Russian mamoshka(sp?) dolls in the Germany Pavillion.
Selling coffee in the Italy pavillion and calling it Expresso(unofficial american spelling) and not Espresso(italian spelling)!:eek: :rolleyes: :lol: (joke)
(there are more but I can't remember them right now)

Do you have any memories of out of place items being sold in various WS Pavillions? What are your thoughts on this? Do you think its wrong for Disney to do that?

Erika

That is really weird!

I've never noticed anything like that, but then again I do not get down there that often.

I always thought the countries chose what was sold in their pavilions. No?

m star

I remember seeing those toy guns being sold in Canada. Not really sure what that has to do with Canada...what kind of message are they trying to send?

Ringo8n24

I was really disappointed in the souvenir selection for United Kingdom. I really wanted Cadbury's and other things we bought in the real United Kingdom over the summer, but really could not find anything worth buying at WS. Mexico has some great items that I have bought in the past. I did spend lots at France this past time, though...clock, wall plates, prints, etc. That was my big finale spending spree the day we left.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Are there any CM's on the board who might be able to offer some insight into why Disney is ignoring cultural boundaries(right phrasing?) in the WS exhibits?

Testtrack321

Ringo8n24 said:
I was really disappointed in the souvenir selection for United Kingdom. I really wanted Cadbury's and other things we bought in the real United Kingdom over the summer, but really could not find anything worth buying at WS. Mexico has some great items that I have bought in the past. I did spend lots at France this past time, though...clock, wall plates, prints, etc. That was my big finale spending spree the day we left.

I heard from somewhere that the supplier for the UK pavilion went out of business or something, and Disney has had difficulty getting good items in those shops.

Most of the time it's that some international companies ship out goods with other spellings for the area, with custom lables for instructions and such, so when you by them in Epcot, you are getting an authentic product, just no authentic labeling.

FanofDinsey1981

I have only been out of the country to Mexico, and most of what they sell there is what you would find in markets (mercados) geared towards travelers from foreign countries, though I don't know if you would find stuff like that in homes in Mexico.

Also Keep in mind (though this does not apply to China and Japan), that Europe does supply stuff to other countries. One example, the Eastern part of France actually is heavily influenced by Germany (the Strasburg area), etc. THat could be part of the 'crossovers' that happen.

longfamily

I would guess that the reason that katana's and tanto's are being sold in China is because so many people nowadays are learning Karate.
hear me out on this one....
Karate is a chinese art but in America, there are those karate schools that are teaching weapons in classes and they are using Japanese fighting styles (and weapons) in the weapons course. Most people don't even realize that there is a distinct difference between Karate and Aikijutsu.
So it is my theory that because of the large amount of people that believe that these weapons are of chinese orgin, Disney has placed them there to placate anyone looking for one.

As for other countries, it is sad but it seems as though Disney does well selling the counties stereotypes to visitors. And it works so they do it. Merchandise only has to "represent" the idea of the country, not actually be from the country.

It really doesn't matter where it comes from, we all know all that stuff is made in Tawian!!!!:lol:

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
FanofDinsey1981 said:
I have only been out of the country to Mexico, and most of what they sell there is what you would find in markets (mercados) geared towards travelers from foreign countries, though I don't know if you would find stuff like that in homes in Mexico.

Also Keep in mind (though this does not apply to China and Japan), that Europe does supply stuff to other countries. One example, the Eastern part of France actually is heavily influenced by Germany (the Strasburg area), etc. THat could be part of the 'crossovers' that happen.
I guess the crossover issue is fine, because its still true to the culture of that country that is being represented. But there is no way to know if the things I have seen are atributed to that or to the carelessness of Disney retailors.

brich

I think all would be solved if they just sold shot glasses and window stickers from each respective country. No confusion there... :hammer:

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
brich said:
I think all would be solved if they just sold shot glasses and window stickers from each respective country. No confusion there... :hammer:

ROFL!!:lol: Hey they already do that!! :lol: My last name is England, so you better believe I have multiple shotglasses, mugs, magnets, and bumperstickers all purchased from the UK Pavillion. But I view that as Disney stuff as opposed to cultural.

FanofDinsey1981

PurpleDragon said:
I guess the crossover issue is fine, because its still true to the culture of that country that is being represented. But there is no way to know if the things I have seen are atributed to that or to the carelessness of Disney retailors.

true, I have asked on several occasions the people that work there, who truely are from the area or country being represented. The only time I really got any kind of negative response was about a particular bottle of wine from Germany. They gal working said that it is made in Germany, but mostly sold in the US. She then helped me pick out a different bottle that was more common amongst German people (and nearly half the price of the first), and she even gave me a cute personal story to go with it.

now if only Icould remember what the names of those wines were called.....

Legacy

Seeing so much anime in the Japanese store annoys me. I know it's popular and all, but for crying out loud...

barnum42

Here is something out of place - American editions of the Harry Potter novels in the UK Pavilion ;)

Also, am I the only one who finds it odd that a security guard rummages through by camera bag at the park entrance to check for possible weapons, but I can then stoll over to the Chinese or Japanese pavilions and purchase a stonking great sword?

:lol:

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
FanofDinsey1981 said:
true, I have asked on several occasions the people that work there, who truely are from the area or country being represented. The only time I really got any kind of negative response was about a particular bottle of wine from Germany. They gal working said that it is made in Germany, but mostly sold in the US. She then helped me pick out a different bottle that was more common amongst German people (and nearly half the price of the first), and she even gave me a cute personal story to go with it.

now if only Icould remember what the names of those wines were called.....
My wife is a big German Wine lover. She loves Schwatz Katz and Spaete Leatzel(sp?) Both good sweet white wines. Most traditional German wines are usually much cheaper than their American market counterparts.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
barnum42 said:
Here is something out of place - American editions of the Harry Potter novels in the UK Pavilion ;)

Also, am I the only one who finds it odd that a security guard rummages through by camera bag at the park entrance to check for possible weapons, but I can then stoll over to the Chinese or Japanese pavilions and purchase a stonking great sword?

:lol:
Yeah they search through bags at the entrance, but people without bags can go right thru. On my recent trip I walked right into MK with my big pocket knife on me.:eek: :lol: I always carry it with me, but forgot to take it out of my pocket before leaving the resort.

brich

Just a hunch but maybe they are searching bags for items a little more threatning than a pocket knife. I wonder what the procedure is for purchasing one of the swords. I can't even imagine them letting you carry it through the park. Then again, are you allowed to carry umbrellas into the park? I also wonder if maybe the bag searches are more a way of creating a feeling of safety in the park. :veryconfu

barnum42

brich said:
Just a hunch but maybe they are searching bags for items a little more threatning than a pocket knife. I wonder what the procedure is for purchasing one of the swords.
My initial post was just a bit of observational British humour.

I would hope that if you purchase a sword or one of the rather vicious knives it is delivered to the park front to be picked up on your exit.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
barnum42 said:
I would hope that if you purchase a sword or one of the rather vicious knives it is delivered to the park front to be picked up on your exit.
That would be a logical assumption.

I almost bought a Tai-Chi sword when I was there last weekend. I should have, then we would know the answer to this question.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom