Disney's America....Will It Be Built?

bigcarolina77

Original Poster
I saw a website talking about the plan to build a park in the early 1990's near Alexandria, Virginia called Disney's America that was scuttled after the people living in Northern Virginia complained about the congestion it would bring. If anyone has been to Northern Virginia recently they know that construction there is booming and there is a load of congestion anyway. Have the plans for the park been totally scrapped or is there still a chance that it would still be built somewhere even if it's not in Virginia. It looked pretty cool.

Shaman

Anytime soon I would guess....no

Sometime in the future....I would also guess no...but who knows....California Adventure would be the reason why its "no"...See my thinking is, that if that park is not popular and its a park about a state...the same will be true for an "America" park...people want to escape, see different things than what they are use to...more exotic....although the concept is interesting...would there be mass interest in a park like that???

Then again, DCA wasn't done properly...so its stands to reason that if they built a park right (with any theme) then people will go...if they ever built the "America" park...I would hope it be in either WDW or DLR....why branch out to other parts of the country when you have two resort areas established? Anyways...just my opinion....

:)

SIR90210

ALEXANDRIA?!?! How could anyone expect to build a theme park there!?!? Every las inch of non-industrial land there is taken up by something. MUCH too close to Washington. It was actually supposed to be on 3,006 acres at the intersection of I-66 and US 15 in Haymarket. Part of the issue was that many locals felt it would "Ruin the historic integrity of Manassas Battlefield National Park, 8 miles away." (And a huge subdivision won't? Scanning for logic. BEEP...BEEP... none found.)

cherrynegra

I thought DCA was a modified version of Disney's America. I seriously doubt it will get builit however the way things are going financially at Disney and they seem keen on building parks in other countries.

imagineer99

I live in Northern Virginia...

This ain't happening.

The weather is not conducive.
Traffic patterns are a mess.
Plus, I just don't see it drawing enough interest to be financially worthwile.

I think a revised version of Disney's america might work somewhere. The reason that no one cares about DCA is that it is a cheap waste of space with cheep thrill rides and really has little to do with California anyway. If you wanna do it right, have states or regions of the state represented by the different lands to incorporate a wide variety of cultures and attraction opportunites, and you can still have stuff like hall of presidents and/or american adventure in a washington DC area of the park.

epcot2004

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I think a revised version of Disney's america might work somewhere.

They can build it up here in a bubble! That will give us something to do during our excessively long winter.:D

Senderella

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I think a revised version of Disney's america might work somewhere. The reason that no one cares about DCA is that it is a cheap waste of space with cheep thrill rides and really has little to do with California anyway. If you wanna do it right, have states or regions of the state represented by the different lands to incorporate a wide variety of cultures and attraction opportunites, and you can still have stuff like hall of presidents and/or american adventure in a washington DC area of the park.

I was thinking this almost exact same thing the other day. They've got the countries at Epcot... I was thinking how neat it'd be to have the 50 states represented. Not stereotyped of course. I'm sure every state has a certain... important building or style to it.... ours would be the Alamo for sure. Then again I don't know if many people would be thrilled about having a replica Alamo. That may not fly. Sorry I'm rambling! :brick:

I would definately want to go to a park that featured all 50 states like they did with the Countries in Epcot.

PaisleyMF

Disney's California Advenure = Disney's America

I Remember a thread that most of DCA was based on Disney's America (with some new theming and or branding)

imagineer99

Re: Disney's California Advenure = Disney's America

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
I Remember a thread that most of DCA was based on Disney's America (with some new theming and or branding)

I think you are correct.

I do know that Disney's America was going to have an old fashioned boardwalk and midway, much like Parradise Pier in DCA.

NashvilleMouse

Originally posted by Senderella
I was thinking this almost exact same thing the other day. They've got the countries at Epcot... I was thinking how neat it'd be to have the 50 states represented. Not stereotyped of course. I'm sure every state has a certain... important building or style to it.... ours would be the Alamo for sure. Then again I don't know if many people would be thrilled about having a replica Alamo. That may not fly. Sorry I'm rambling! :brick:

I would definately want to go to a park that featured all 50 states like they did with the Countries in Epcot.

I think that is a great idea. You could break things up by region.. The Midwest Land, the SouthEast Land, etc. You could probably come up with some really great rides in some of the states too. (Something like Test Track would be great for Michigan) Not all states need to have rides and some could have huge movie screens like France does.

BwanaBob

Representing the 50 states

Oficial response from WDW:

" The US Mint is doing a fine job of that right now! Anyways, if we could print our own money, we'd consider it too!......Hey!...Wait a minute!...." :lookaroun

Put it on one of those barges and float it around from city to city.

WDW gone carnie style!:lol:

DarkMeasures

I say build it in Chicago because the only Amusment park we have got is Six Flags Great America and it is quite dirty.....

Plus Chicago was where Walt was born... and there should be a park there to honor it.

cindy_k

I would say no. Weather can be a huge factor for theme park attendance.

The best example of what happens when you build it in the wrong place: Disneyland Paris :lookaroun

Cindy in NY

:sohappy: Cruising on the Magic in 8 days. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom