Disney's America....Will It Be Built?

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by bigcarolina77
I saw a website talking about the plan to build a park in the early 1990's near Alexandria, Virginia called Disney's America that was scuttled after the people living in Northern Virginia complained about the congestion it would bring. If anyone has been to Northern Virginia recently they know that construction there is booming and there is a load of congestion anyway. Have the plans for the park been totally scrapped or is there still a chance that it would still be built somewhere even if it's not in Virginia. It looked pretty cool.

Thats 8 miles from my former home. Its all condos, townhomes and 1/2 million dollar houses now. DONT get me started on this subject. Long story short, disney didnt get the money in the right pockets. Prince William County is all about back room deals.

It will never be built.

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by SIR90210
And a huge subdivision won't? Scanning for logic. BEEP...BEEP... none found

LMAO! Priceless! All i know is that they keep building. Thats why my mom moved out there, to get away from the sprawl. GRRRR.... damm traffic.

Originally posted by NashvilleMouse
I think that is a great idea. You could break things up by region.. The Midwest Land, the SouthEast Land, etc. You could probably come up with some really great rides in some of the states too. (Something like Test Track would be great for Michigan) Not all states need to have rides and some could have huge movie screens like France does.

Alright, an idea of mine that some one actually likes!!!! Yeah, breaking it up into regions was also part of my idea, but some states would need there own separate area like Hawaii and possibly California, and the possible mix of attractions is limitless. Hey, they could use Fire mountain for Hawaii. And chicago wouldn't be a good place to build, maybe texas or lousiana or something. And anyway dark measures, they are building an old english themepark in south east wisconsin. Here are some of my attraction ideas, lets see what everybody thinks, and remeber we are just talkin possibilities:

Washington D.C.
Hall of Presidents
American Adventure the ride(boat ride about american history)
different land marks and monuments

California
Soarin'
Surfing roller coaster
Great movie ride
Walt disney story
Earthquake simulator of some type
(many more possibilities here but I'll move on)

Hawaii
Enchanted tiki room
hawaii based boat ride
fire mountain(new name of course)

Midwest
test track
dairy farm
something with indy speedway
old chicago(dark ride in old cars detailing old chicago with ganster activity and other things)
native american attraction

a jungle cruise type water ride called Blue bayou where you go through the swamps and see alligators and things, for whatever section would have Lousiana

maybe a mississippi river raft ride

South west
a lot of wild west attractions
alien attarction for new mexico
possibly mission space for texas

Who nows what else we could come up with. My mind is a little overwhelmed with all the good ideas i can't think straight. Someone else see what you can come up with.

tropicalsnowfla

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but Mike Wallace has a fascinating book called, "Mickey Mouse History and Other Essays on American Memory" that discusses some historical issues and concerns about the proposed park. He also discusses the representation of the past in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot as well, it's an interesting perspective on the parks to say the least!

Senderella

And chicago wouldn't be a good place to build, maybe texas [/B]

I agree with you there. Not because I'm biased but because we do have lots of land that's still pretty much available. You can buy land out in West Texas pretty cheap. And a lot of it to boot. Our weather is comparable to Floridas except we dont get the daily rain. Plus if you go far enough inland the Hurricane Season issue is nonexistant.

strobe

Originally posted by bigcarolina77
I saw a website talking about the plan to build a park in the early 1990's near Alexandria, Virginia called Disney's America that was scuttled after the people living in Northern Virginia complained about the congestion it would bring. If anyone has been to Northern Virginia recently they know that construction there is booming and there is a load of congestion anyway. Have the plans for the park been totally scrapped or is there still a chance that it would still be built somewhere even if it's not in Virginia. It looked pretty cool.

I think building another East Coast park would be overdoing it a little. I really enjoy the long trip down to central Florida, when something is just around the corner, or easily available, it's just not the same.

Personally, I would like to see Disney focus on making the current parks the best they can be rather than creating a bunch of mini-Disney's that aren't of the same quality. I really think by opening too many parks, they would run the risk of diluting the Magic and the mystique behind them.

That's just my opinion though - a set of parks on each coast works great for me!! Let's just focus on what we've got and improving it wherever possible.

daoVinci

Originally posted by imagineer99
I live in Northern Virginia...

This ain't happening.

The weather is not conducive.
Traffic patterns are a mess.
Plus, I just don't see it drawing enough interest to be financially worthwile.

Don't you guys have a Busch Gardens that's doing pretty well?

M:SpilotISTC12

build it in like pennsilvania or new york. like make 2 parks and a couple of resorts. people who live in the north can go to it. then they could have some competition with hershey.

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by daoVinci
Don't you guys have a Busch Gardens that's doing pretty well?

Thats in Williamsburg. Thats 2 hours away, at least. You would have driven down 15 to 17 and taken that to I95 at Fredricksburg, and that south to I64.

Here's a question for all you "Build it here...." people: Why on earth would you build a year round Theme Park where it Snows? Just wondering.

epcot2004

Originally posted by PhotoDave219

Here's a question for all you "Build it here...." people: Why on earth would you build a year round Theme Park where it Snows? Just wondering.

As stated before (half kidding half serious), put it in a bubble!:D

taholden

I remember the idea for this park being the history of America and it was to be based on and located near civil war battlegrounds. This caused alot of problems at the time because people in the area did not want to have amusement type attractions making light of the civil war.

I could be wrong, but that is what I remember. I thought that Disney could have done a wonderful job breathing new life into our history and making it interesting for younger generations.

PhotoDave219

Search the Washington Post archives from that time period. They did a great job of covering the story. I think the three of us are tired of rehashing it over and over.

And Frankly, IMO its more offensive to develop and pollute the land thats next to the Manassas National Battlefield then it would have been to build an attraction that could have drawn more people to the battlefield.

SIR90210

LMAO! Priceless! All i know is that they keep building. Thats why my mom moved out there, to get away from the sprawl. GRRRR.... damm traffic.

I-95 is HELL!! I just came back from Norfolk, and looking across the median, 95 south bound was a parking lot between Fredericksburg and Potomac Mills. And it was pouring. Where I live, the developer bought enough land that we have a half acre that backs up to a stream valley park, and its pretty nice, even though the house is falling apart (darn 70's builders). However, I live about 10 minutes away from the World's Longest Red Light, at the Fairfax County and Fair Lakes Parkways. 5 MINUTESS!!!, and I have to pass through a three minute, 2-plus cycle light everyday on the way to school!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!! Death to Fairfax County!

PhotoDave219

Oh god i hate that light. Every time i would go to fair oaks, or have to take 50 to get to Mason. Fairfax County sucks.

Why do you think i moved to Disney?

imagineer99

I-95 is HELL!! I just came back from Norfolk, and looking across the median, 95 south bound was a parking lot between Fredericksburg and Potomac Mills. And it was pouring. Where I live, the developer bought enough land that we have a half acre that backs up to a stream valley park, and its pretty nice, even though the house is falling apart (darn 70's builders). However, I live about 10 minutes away from the World's Longest Red Light, at the Fairfax County and Fair Lakes Parkways. 5 MINUTESS!!!, and I have to pass through a three minute, 2-plus cycle light everyday on the way to school!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!! Death to Fairfax County!

Western Loudoun County is were it's at...

PhotoDave219

Clearly Youve never tried to go through the light at 15 & 50 on a Friday afternoon....

I remember when EASTERN Loudon was where it was at. Lived in Sterling from '81-1999 and in Haymarket from then till moving here.

Woody13

Clearly Youve never tried to go through the light at 15 & 50 on a Friday afternoon....

I remember when EASTERN Loudon was where it was at. Lived in Sterling from '81-1999 and in Haymarket from then till moving here.

Hi PhotoDave!:wave: I grew up in Arlington, went to GW University in D.C. and then moved out of there in 1972! I never intend to return.:p

maxime29

Premium Member

You can't forget I-66. :hurl: :cry:

Traveling into the part of Manassas with the shops is horrible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom