Disney's America....Will It Be Built?

imagineer boy

Wahoo2424 said:
Sorry about that. The Boy Scouts bought the land after Disney decided not to build a park there. The Boy Scouts are building a campground and scouting "facilities," such as a swimming pool, dining hall, youth hostel, and technology center.

Gaah! Its not fair! :fork: :cry:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think a better idea would be to have Eisner in a cage in the middle of one square acre and call it "Disney's Village Idiot"

PhotoDave219

Wahoo2424 said:
I'm from Manassas, near where they were going to build the park and it was front page news of our newspaper today. In fact, it actually mentioned that the groundbreaking was where Disney's America was to be built. Unfortunately, they did not update the newspaper's website, so I can't post a link to the article. When they do, I'll let ya'll know.
That's funny, there are houses on that land at the intersection of Rte 15 and I-66. When did they tear those down?

PhotoDave219

Scouts break ground for camp

By MARIA HEGSTAD
mhegstad@potomacnews.com
Saturday, October 2, 2004

A troop of Boy Scouts held a flag ceremony Friday for the groundbreaking of their new campground on land the Walt Disney Company once planned to develop into a theme park.

Camp William B. Snyder, near Haymarket, is expected to open in May 2006. Scouts have been primitively camping in the 350-acre site for about a year, without established camp sights, J. Lea Callaway, the National Capital Area Council director of major gifts/endowment said.

One of several structures planned for the camp is already completed, Callaway said. The groundbreaking ceremony on Friday celebrates the county's recent go-ahead for the project, and recognized some donors who were traveling in the area, Callaway said.

The scouts have raised $8 million of the $14 million needed for the camp, Callaway said. County approval means the National Capital Area Scouts can begin building the camp's infrastructure: pipes, power lines and roads, Callaway said.

The new facility will alleviate use at the Camp Goshen, near Lexington. Prior to the scouts' purchase of Camp Snyder, area scouts had to travel about four hours to Camp Goshen for their camping events.

The new campground will include a swimming pool, dining hall, international youth hostel, environmental education center and a technology center, according to the National Capital Area Scouts Council Web site. There are about 85,000 Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts in the Washington metropolitan area. All will have access to the new Camp Snyder, Callaway said. The camp will be open year round for summer camping and weekend camping, weekend educational seminars and merit badge weekends, Callaway said.

The Scouts purchased the property from Disney in 1997, for about $1.5 million. Disney first offered the land for sale in 1995, five months after deciding not to continue with plans for a historical theme park. The theme park plans were quickly targeted by preservationists trying to protect historic land, nearby residents concerned about the impact on their tranquil way of life, and historians worried about Disney's approach to history. Proponents of the plan saw money flowing into the area. Disney scuttled the project, citing the unfriendly reception from theme park opponents.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe the Disney Co. is just using the scouts as a covert cover to build a new park....anyone ever think of that.... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :drevil:

PhotoDave219

This would be on the western part of the land that Disney bought. This is west of the 1/2 and 3/4 million dollar 10 acre home sites and the outrageously priced townhouses.

Now just what My mom's property values need, a boy scout camp. More traffic on an already overloaded road system. Somehow that disturbs the tranquility.... Besides, 1/2 the fun of going to Goshen was the four hour bus ride. :D

cherrynegra

Wahoo2424 said:
Sorry about that. The Boy Scouts bought the land after Disney decided not to build a park there. The Boy Scouts are building a campground and scouting "facilities," such as a swimming pool, dining hall, youth hostel, and technology center.

Thank you for the clarification. :wave:

Rotel1026

missypie said:
I vote for San Antonio, Texas...BUT, it can easily get to be 105-110 degrees in the summer.

Back in the 80's when Seaworld was built, there were rumors that Disney was looking into building in San Antonio. A couple of years back, there were rumors online (such as Screamscape and Thrillride) that Disney was secretly buying land in the Houston/Katy area. Personally I think Disney needs to concentrate on what they have already. Look at what the parks they've built in the past couple of years look like. Unless they're willing to spend the money, you get a park like California Adventure. I don't think Disney is looking at building any more American parks anytime soon anyway. You can't get away with building a lone park with the quality of DCA and hope to do well if you don't have parks like Disneyland and Magic Kingdom next to it. A Disney park in San Antonio would pull in attendance in line with Fiesta Texas (1.5 million at most?) and I doubt that's the type of attendance that would draw Disney to an area.

Captain Hank

DisneyMemories said:
lf it did not snow:fork: then the great lakes would make a great location for a disney theme park, DARN SNOW :p
Yay! Lake Effect snow is fun! That means, you can go to bed with no snow on the ground and wake up to three feet! :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom