Rumor Disney's 100th Anniversary

doctornick

Haven't been following too closely, but is WDW doing anything "special" for Disney 100? I know Wondrous Journeys is promoted to be about the celebration but don't recall anything for WDW specifically.

TheMaxRebo

Bob Iger also sent this message to D23 members.

Dear D23 Members –

A century after Walt and Roy Disney first opened for business in 1923, their remarkable legacy lives on in ways they never could have imagined.

Later tonight, we’ll premiere a very special commercial during the Super Bowl honoring 100 years of unrivaled storytelling and innovation, and I wanted to personally share it with all of you first.

For 100 years, Disney has provided joy and wonder for the whole world to enjoy. We’re honored to have created the moments that make your heart sing, your mind soar, your eyes teary, your stomach drop, and your imagination come alive, as you’ve embarked on so many incredible journeys with our stories and characters throughout your lives. You in particular, our most loyal and ardent fans, truly understand what it is to experience the magic of Disney.

Over the coming year, our Disney100 celebrations will give us the chance to say thank you to generations of fans, and to honor the brilliant storytellers whose talents and imagination created the exceptional achievements that make Disney such an enduring part of the global culture. We’ll have numerous opportunities for fans and families of all ages to relive their most beloved Disney memories and to delight in new content and experiences.

Walt once said, “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” That’s how I feel about this great company he started a century ago. We have a lot more magic to create, and I can’t wait to share it with the world.

So, as we commemorate our historic anniversary, I want to thank you for helping us carry forth the legacy that Walt inspired all those years ago. I hope you like this wonderful video, and we look forward to sharing more exciting Disney100 updates with you soon.

With gratitude,
Bob Iger

Solid Video - loved the different sketching/sketches of Mickey (though wish one showed Ub Iwerks drawing him)

Also, no Muppets?

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
(slams table) Now Disney will never sell off their Fox properties if they include Avatar in the 100th Anniversary montage!

Also, I bet their centennial will be as bad as Warner Bros.', considering the announcements that Iger made last Wednesday.

TTA94

Haven't been following too closely, but is WDW doing anything "special" for Disney 100? I know Wondrous Journeys is promoted to be about the celebration but don't recall anything for WDW specifically.

Just my guess they won’t say anything until very close to March 31st. If there is anything to say that is.

celluloid

Imagine having air time for The Superbowl and you spend a 100 years commercial on the last eight years of your movies and anything that has had a remake, including some time on the remakes themselves.

The writing was mostly nice. The feels hit from the overlapping audio and whoever wrote for those edits to be together.

UNCgolf

Too much focus on the last 15-ish years. Smells like a Bob-PR commercial.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much older stuff they included, but my expectations were probably pretty low. I know I saw Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Steamboat Willie, Fantasia, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Mulan, Lion King, and Alice in Wonderland.

That said, they were mainly short clips (Mary Poppins excepted) with longer segments on more recent IP, and it did feel strange to spend so much time on stuff like Star Wars.

MagicHappens1971

but they aren't at all what comes to mind when I think of "Disney."
That could be a reason they chose them. I personally would’ve preferred an homage to Disney (WDAS, Pixar, Live Action) over the past 100 years than what was made but it was a very well done Ad that will stick with many

tcool123

In case if anyone was wondering here is a full list of film/IPs from the advertisement:
- Encanto
- Sleeping Beauty*(Audio as well, They say if your dream it more than once)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Live-action Beauty and the Beast (Audio only, Think of the one place you always wanted to see) (Seen later)
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- Zootopia
- Coco
- Shanghai Disneyland?
- Mickey and Minnie Mouse*
- Fantasia/The Sorcerer's Apprentice*
- Cinderella*
- Princess and the Frog
- Peter Pan*
- Walt Disney * (Audio as well)
- Steamboat Willie*
- Mulan*
- The Lion King*
- Live-action Cinderella
- Wall-E
- Cars*
- Old Yeller*
- The Mighty Ducks*
- Remember the Titans* (Thank you @UNCgolf )
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Dumbo*
- Pinocchio*
- Mary Poppins* (Audio as well)
- Alice in Wonderland*
- Live-action Alice in Wonderland
- Live-action The Lion King
- Frozen II
- Soul (Audio only, "Life Is Full Of Possibilities")
- Toy Story*
- Black Panther
- Iron Man*ish
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- The Avengers
- Avengers: Endgame (Audio only, "The world is in our hands")
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Moana
- Toy Story 3 or 4
- Aladdin* (Genie's sketch)
- Disney Parks
- The Mandalorian
- Inside Out
- Live-action The Little Mermaid
- Broadway Lion King*
- Tangled
By my count 50 unique films/IPs were uniquely represented throughout the advertisement. * = older than 15 years, Iron Man will be turning 15 later this year. In my opinion they did a good job highlighting the company with various old school picks (Old Yeller especially) acting as bastions for the classic media, alongside with clips featuring the Parks and even their theatrical productions! Above all the various clips of those inspired by Disney in their costumes and cons, or meeting a character warmed my heart.

Last edited:

Ghost93

Surprised there wasn't a clip of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, since it's Disney's first full-length feature film. Maybe since its copyright is expiring in 10 years Disney feels it's not a property worth promoting as much anymore?

MagicHappens1971

Surprised there wasn't a clip of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, since it's Disney's first full-length feature film. Maybe since its copyright is expiring in 10 years Disney feels it's not a property worth promoting as much anymore?
The copyright isn’t really the most important thing. It’s not black and white. It is odd that there was nothing from Snow White, granted that they featured Belle, Cinderella, Tiana, Aurora, Ariel, Rapunzel, Mulan and Moana out of the “Princesses”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom