Disneyland's Marketing Strategy for 2020??? Because 2019 Was A Mess!

Darkbeer1

One thing Disney does extremely well (or so I've been told) is consumer research. They'll know why SW:GE flopped. Just like they knew why DCA 1.0 did.

But we have the Synergy issue. The Movie folks thought that killing off the OT characters was the best thing, and the PC thing to do. The use of the new story line was already decided tto be the best thing to do, and therefore was not measured.

Remember that Disney makes the questions, and many times don't ask the right ones.

Also, how do you ask an average guest what is wrong with a new attraction/land if they haven't experienced it yet?

Once the Media previews started, and reporters started to tell their hosts what they really thought (off the record) did the suits realized they might have a problem.

And the Uber geek SW fans understand the entire universe and all the back stories.

Last edited:

hawkfam

They also need to fast-track the table service restaurant. It seems like everything up to this point was intended to limit how long people stayed in the land (small cantina, no restaurant, no entertainment/characters, etc). They built the biggest land in any Disney park and then cheapened out with no restaurant. It shouldn't be treated the same as Dinoland USA (which at least has characters). Get that built ASAP and then advertise a cool SW-themed restaurant I can visit and spend time in. And yes, as Space 220 can attest unfortunately I know that Disney can't seem to build a restaurant in less than a year but at least knowing one is coming would be something nice to promote.

Travel Junkie

What you describe here is dire and a complete disaster. You don't spend a billion dollars of capital and millions of incremental operating expenses to be "basically flat" to the prior year.

That quarter only reflected one month of SWGE at one park (June at DL)

So which is it? A complete disaster or wait and see. The latter is correct.

You won't be able to get any sense of the SWGE financial impact until October 2020 when all assets are put in service so the annual depreciation hits (half year for ROTR put in service in FY20) and you see a full year of operational expenses. And even then, there are cruise lines, the massive WDW parks/hotels engine, consumer products, and other businesses in that number.

That's my whole point. Read this and other threads and some are trying to paint things is Disney is going out of business if they don't take drastic action now. Post after post of wait times to "prove" Disneyland is a sinking ship. Disney is fine. Disneyland is fine. The only reason I posted Q3 results was show how ridiculous some are. They are making over 4 billion PROFIT EVERY QUARTER. The company is fine. Every other theme park operator and media company wish they had Disney's problems.

The rollout of GE was a mistake. It didn't have the massive impact right off the bat that everyone predicted. Relatively flat results are not good. It's not going to bankrupt the company either.

Travel Junkie

You forgot the official comments that show that domestic parks had a major issue

I would hardly call it a major issue. Costs are going to be increased as they are building 2 separate billion dollar lands at the same time. This also doesn't include the other major construction projects going on in the domestic parks, especially WDW. They are spending money at a high clip currently so of course expenses are going to be much higher.

Only one of the these major projects opened during the quarter and only for 1 month. The one month was also highly restrictive. We can talk about that being a bad idea, but bottom line is Q3 had a lot going against it in the domestic parks. Q4 will be a bit better barometer, but still not paint the picture. This is a long term play.

It's not difficult to look at the entire board and see why certain things happened. They are easily explainable. Long term the projects will pay off big time. There is no major issue. You are not going to see a for sale sign in front of Disneyland.

shambolicdefending

If they did consumer research well they would not be in the situation they are now.
Remember that Disney makes the questions, and many times don't ask the right ones.

Also, how do you ask an average guest what is wring with a new attraction/land if they haven't experienced it yet?
Yes, I'd imagine they never got around to studying the follow-up question...

What if we took this great idea for a Star Wars-themed land and cut out one of the three attractions, delayed another one by 6+ months, took away all of the interactive show elements, and didn't open it until we'd killed off all the popular OT characters and ed off a bunch of the brand's hardcore fans. Oh, and then raised ticket prices, jacked up the number of blockout dates and eliminated AP renewal discounts...

How magically exciting does this sound now!!!!???

shambolicdefending

Read this and other threads and some are trying to paint things is Disney is going out of business if they don't take drastic action now. Post after post of wait times to "prove" Disneyland is a sinking ship....
I don't think I've seen any posts suggesting anything even close to this. About the most "dire" assessments I've read is that a couple of suits may lose their jobs over it, and prices won't go up for a while.

Travel Junkie

I don't think I've seen any posts suggesting anything even close to this. About the most "dire" assessments I've read is that a couple of suits may lose their jobs over it, and prices won't go up for a while.

It's been stated in this very thread that GE be torn down. Someone compared GE to a car that failed 3 years after launch, inferring that if Disney doesn't fix this fast, they will suffer the same fate. There is another entire thread dedicated to it being fate that the train got stuck outside GE as if that is predicting the future demise of the land. There are more examples if you would like.

RobWDW1971

So which is it? A complete disaster or wait and see. The latter is correct.

That's my whole point. Read this and other threads and some are trying to paint things is Disney is going out of business if they don't take drastic action now. Post after post of wait times to "prove" Disneyland is a sinking ship. Disney is fine. Disneyland is fine. The only reason I posted Q3 results was show how ridiculous some are. They are making over 4 billion PROFIT EVERY QUARTER. The company is fine. Every other theme park operator and media company wish they had Disney's problems.

The rollout of GE was a mistake. It didn't have the massive impact right off the bat that everyone predicted. Relatively flat results are not good. It's not going to bankrupt the company either.

So far SWGE is a disaster, but it's a 20 year plus return window, and I never (and frankly haven't seen many others) say it will bankrupt the company no matter how poorly it performs.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

Star Wars Land is fixable. It'll just take time for everything to be digested. Don't forget the rumor that Galaxy's Edge will turn into Aladdin. Not a bad idea, but the most improbable.

shambolicdefending

It's been stated in this very thread that GE be torn down. Someone compared GE to a car that failed 3 years after launch, inferring that if Disney doesn't fix this fast, they will suffer the same fate. There is another entire thread dedicated to it being fate that the train got stuck outside GE as if that is predicting the future demise of the land. There are more examples if you would like.
Seems like you might be taking typical internet banter a bit too literally.

britain

britain

By the way, what's with this "Temple of the Forbidden Eye"? Indy never went to that before in any of the movies! That whole ride is full of things LIKE what happened in the Indy films, but Disney should have specifically recreated the cave from the beginning of Raiders, the Temple of Doom, and the Grail's sanctum. Spikes, jeeps, boulders, snakes, bugs, mummies, darts, rats aren't good enough!!!

And too much ambient 1930's music outside. Where's the John Williams!?

smile

for starters, it'd be super-cool if rise of skywalker wasn't flaming hot garbage

tenor.gif

RobWDW1971

By the way, what's with this "Temple of the Forbidden Eye"? Indy never went to that before in any of the movies! That whole ride is full of things LIKE what happened in the Indy films, but Disney should have specifically recreated the cave from the beginning of Raiders, the Temple of Doom, and the Grail's sanctum. Spikes, jeeps, boulders, snakes, bugs, mummies, darts, rats aren't good enough!!!

And too much ambient 1930's music outside. Where's the John Williams!?

It's a great point that shows the difference between great creative choices and terrible ones and that it's an art, not a science.

Tony Baxter did an amazing job of putting you into an Indiana Jones adventure from the entrance to the queue to the exit that hit all the right notes. The experience includes blaring Indiana Jones music on cue, actually has Indiana Jones in the ride in character, and lived up to all of your expectations of the "beats" of an Indy movie.

Contrast that with the terrible creative choices to create a dull, lifeless, depressing world void of the characters we care about, nothing happening in the land, food and beverage workers saying "Bright Suns" and other nonsense, and you have a mess on your hands.

Now, if they would have just built ROTR like Indy without Batuu and just an awesome entrance, I think they would have been much better off, but that ship (full of hundreds of millions of dollars) has sailed.

Imagine if Baxter tried to create a 14 acre land out of the entrance to Indy. Can you imagine wandering through a 14 acre jungle with the sounds of crickets, 1920's radio music, and broken down abandoned trucks, archeological equipment, etc? Yeah, it would have been as bad as Batuu or worse.

As they said in Spinal Tap: "It's a fine line between clever and stupid".

RobWDW1971

Yes. I've been there and those function as their Adventureland and are not acres of silent jungles with just random radio noise.

Those images show again how when it is done right those areas are lush, inviting, exciting and filled with music and activity vs the beige, bombed out deserted concrete of Batuu. I wish they would have built that. It's about the creative choices and execution, which in SWGE are just terrible.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Indiana Jones Adventure. It's a fun enough ride and the ride system itself obviously holds up to this day. I also consider it a more impressive ride than Millennial Falcon, which is just a screen in a rocking capsule.

I'm annoyed by the fact that Indy himself is obviously voiced by some guy, he doesn't use his gun, he acts completely out of character dangling over the car (and sounds absolutely nothing like Harrison Ford) etc.

However, none of this really matters because the ride is fun. It's faithful enough to the spirit of the IJ series and features various things that you might expect from that type of adventure and makes it fun. An archaeological site, skeletons, creepy crawlers and the supernatural...check.

If the guys who created Galaxy Edge did Indiana Jones, they'd probably have the land be a college campus with an attraction where you board a plane and then dig with shovels with Shia Labuff instead of IJ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom